Crown Princess - Pier in NY

Second seating

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=290058

My family will be on the June 23rd sailing. We need transportation from LGA to Embassy Suites. Then from Embassy Suites to pier. This is my dilemma, we will have 10 pieces of luggage and a person in a wheel chair. Would it be best to get a limo. or a van? Can someone recommend a company.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Sooo, from reading this I gather that from our Upper West Side hotel, I should allow 1.5 hours to get to Red Hook and we'll be travelling over the Brooklyn Bridge? And about $60 cost?

I saw someone mentionned a water taxi - is this feasible from the UWS?

Katie,

As in any large city, taxi cost depends on traffic. It could be 40 min. and $30., depending on what day and what time. And if you wanted to take this trip last Sunday, it wouldn't have happened at all - the snow made the streets in Red Hook impassable! But generally speaking, 90 min. and $60 should be at the high end.

Outer bridge or Goethals Bridge into Staten Island over the verrazano bridge, right to the BQE to the port. I don't no which exit but I'm sure there will be signs.

I don t think traffic will be that bad on a Friday it should be going the other way.

There are area car services that I use everyday if you would like the names and #s.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind, in most cases, the debarking passengers from the previous sailing will be getting in their cars and leaving Red Hook. If you're waiting for a space, one should become available. Just a thought.

Of course, I really don't know how well the parking will work out since today is opening day.

In our case, the Queen Mary2 will be leaving Brooklyn on June 9th. We sail on June 14th. I don't know how many cars will be there from the QM2 passengers.

Would appreciate any current info on taxi/car service available at the pier upon disembarkation for transportation to mid town Manhattan hotels. From what I have heard, they will be available at terminal, without prior reservation, and cost would be about $40.

The parking there is the only reason I am questioning wether to drive down or have a service bring us.............parking would be cheaper but I dont want to get there and have no space left for us.................

Last October we left from the Manhatten pier and it was a short drive (weekend) and our parents drove down well I drove my moms car and bestfriends dad drove car back here to Connecticut.............

THis year its us two plus friends that are married plus its a week day we are leaving on.............I know long story.............

I guess we will have to wait and see what people on future cruises say about parking there..........and than decide but I am already looking into prices from companies and even split four ways parking is still the cheapest way to go.......................

I don't know the number of spaces in Manhattan but its not that many. The parking lot today(about 4 pm) was still pretty empty- plenty of spaces, and that is with the governor and mayor there and the press taking up spaces too.

http://www.vzwpix.com/mms/viewMessage.do?viewLarge=true&play=forward&msgNo=1&folderId=53310066

my pictures from this morning are listed as Red Hook pier...

[quote name=Studebaker59

In our case' date=' the Queen Mary2 will be leaving Brooklyn on June 9th. We sail on June 14th. I don't know how many cars will be there from the QM2 passengers.[/quote]

I don't expect there will be many cars from the QM2 passengers since their cruise is a transatlantic.

I will be watching your June 14th cruise to see how the parking works out. I am sailing on the Crown in august and don't have any reasonable alternative other then driving.

sue

Would appreciate any current info on taxi/car service available at the pier upon disembarkation for transportation to mid town Manhattan hotels. From what I have heard, they will be available at terminal, without prior reservation, and cost would be about $40.

$40 seems way over the top.

NYC rates are $2.50 + $2/mile and tolls ($4.50). Could be some extra if you hit a lot of traffic.

Say you're doing the lux bit - the Waldorf (301 Park Ave) - is about 8mi from RedHook. So I'd expect a fare closer to $23-25 plus tip.

Anyone have some real experience to tell about?

-----Burton

$40 seems way over the top.

NYC rates are $2.50 + $2/mile and tolls ($4.50). Could be some extra if you hit a lot of traffic.

Say you're doing the lux bit - the Waldorf (301 Park Ave) - is about 8mi from RedHook. So I'd expect a fare closer to $23-25 plus tip.

Anyone have some real experience to tell about?

-----Burton

Its 2.40 per mile.....40 per 1/6 of a mile.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Dont forget the all important $.20 per minute when stopped or traveling under 6 MPH. Not that you have to worry about that in NYC....who knows, you could get lucky and there wont be any street repairs, parades, Presidential or other VIP vistis, traffic accidents, UN or other events going on when you are traveling.

Thats why I like Town Cars.....one pre-determined price.

Town Cars do charge for waiting if you are not ready to go at the scheduled pick up time but I would think that after a few reviews are in for ships using the new Red Hook facilities you should have a pretty good idea how long clearing customs & the ship will take.

Unless you are in a hurry to get a flight I would disembark leisurely and plan for a pick up a little later in the morning when things are less hectic.

If you have a cell phone you can call the car service from the ship to change/confirm time if needs be.

Sue-

Thanks for pointing out about the QM2 being transatlantic so maybe few people will be leaving their cars at Red Hook. Some people may be taking the QM2 round trip, but probably not enough for me to worry about.

I appreciate your point.

Archived