Teens, tweens, and toddlers on Breakaway

cruisecaz

We are cruising for the first time on NCL and first time with our boys (14, 14, 12, and 3) next week, and I’m starting to stress.  How much freedom do people give their teens and tweens on the ship?  Where do folks/kids carry their room keys?  Is there a lanyard for phone/key that you love? How about passports when at ports?  How is the app for keeping in touch with kids?  How dressy do kids get for meals?  Are khaki shorts and a polo shirt ok for main dining rooms?  What do you do with kids during shows if Splash Academy is closed at 6:30 and at 10?  

Thanks!

As a long time cruiser with a kid, we have slowly given our dd a lot of leeway.  For our last cruise, it was the first where she had full charging abilities.  She handled it quite well, but she is fiscally restrained and used her freedom well.  She has had her own key responsibilities the past two cruises and often would go to the buffet to read or draw and grab dessert.  This may not work for everyone, but it worked for her.  Of course we had check ins and ground rules that she followed.

She had her own lanyard for her keycard, I kept control of passports.

it really depends on your child.  Are they self-sufficient? Also, do they understand how a cruise ship works/laid out?  

For dress “code” it is relaxed for children, we have brought our daughter to high end dinners since she was a child and she self monitors on clothing choice.  

The academy schedule accommodates going to shows, some kids do well, others not so much during shows.  Early cruises (age 3/4) were a little more work scheduling.  You didn’t mention the ship you are on or the room type.  This may affect the feedback you could receive as there are a lot of differences.

Enjoy your cruise

• Thanks 1

Our children are out on their own now but we kept them pretty close until around 13-14, then they could come and go BUT always check-in times and bedtime.... having said that we were never on the huge ships like the Breakaway (or larger)... always smaller ships.  I am really not sure what I would do on the Breakaway but I would definitely get them enrolled in the kids program!

Edited by bobsfamily
  • Thanks 1

During our first cruise, my DD was 12yo. We sailed with another family on Carnival and the rule was that she had to be with someone - even her friend who was 13yo was acceptable. Last year's cruise on NCL (Getaway), she was a new 14yo and had a lot more freedom. She went to the Glow Party and the teen club by herself with no issues as well as back and forth to the cabin.

We paid for the texting function each time and she knew to answer if I called/texted. Having said that, the text functions are not perfect and calls/texts will drop. (I discovered on this last cruise that the trick is to reconnect the app whenever you get where you are going.) Really only you can determine the maturity level of the kids involved and how far you can trust them.