dress code Jerusalem excursion

mef_57

Reading some articles and forums for dress code for Jerusalem, it seems some sites expect 'long skirt'.  I certainly have a modest wardrobe planned but wasn't planning on a skirt and don't know what they define as 'long'. Do either of the Jersualem ship excursions go where a skirt is a must? I think it is Temple Mount and St. James Cathedral, but I can't see any dress code signage images to support this specific dress code requirement.

Thanks for shedding any light.

11 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Reading some articles and forums for dress code for Jerusalem, it seems some sites expect 'long skirt'.  I certainly have a modest wardrobe planned but wasn't planning on a skirt and don't know what they define as 'long'. Do either of the Jersualem ship excursions go where a skirt is a must? I think it is Temple Mount and St. James Cathedral, but I can't see any dress code signage images to support this specific dress code requirement.

Thanks for shedding any light.

We all wore pants/jeans when visiting the Temple Mount - none of the women were required to wear skirts. Note that tops must cover the collar bone and sleeves must extend to elbows.

We first learned of the skirt requirement for women while visiting a beautiful Russian Orthodox church in a small Russian village. We have been in several Armenian and Russian Orthodox churches wherein women are required to wear skirts  - for this reason, the women carry a pull-on skirt for visiting such sites. 

Regarding Saint James Cathedral - we stashed light-weight cotton pull-on skirts in our daypacks and simply donned them over our jeans. The skirts need to cover the knees. 

Edited by dogs4fun

33 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

We all wore pants/jeans when visiting the Temple Mount - none of the women were required to wear skirts. Note that tops must cover the collar bone and sleeves must extend to elbows.

We first learned of the skirt requirement for women while visiting a beautiful Russian Orthodox church in a small Russian village. We have been in several Armenian and Russian Orthodox churches wherein women are required to wear skirts  - for this reason, the women carry a pull-on skirt for visiting such sites. 

Regarding Saint James Cathedral - we stashed light-weight cotton pull-on skirts in our daypacks and simply donned them over our jeans. The skirts need to cover the knees. 

Thanks for the details.  I'll be wearing longer tunic and trousers in UAE, so perhaps a tunic to below knee with trousers will work then. These will be 3/4 or long sleeved and a covered neckline.

Details just say walking through Armenian district - I hope we can poke our nose into St. James. It looks quite stunning.

Edited by mef_57

1 hour ago, mef_57 said:

Thanks for the details.  I'll be wearing longer tunic and trousers in UAE, so perhaps a tunic to below knee with trousers will work then. These will be 3/4 or long sleeved and a covered neckline.

Details just say walking through Armenian district - I hope we can poke our nose into St. James. It looks quite stunning.

Clarification - I was not on a ship excursion when we visited Israel & Jordan. However, the rules are the same regardless of with whom you visit. Yes, the cathedral is stunning. You do not need to wear a skirt/tunic while walking through the Armenian district - only needed for the cathedral. We all dressed modestly while in the old city - no shorts, etc. - had no issues whatsoever. 

Hope you enjoy your trip.

I wore capris and a sleeveless top...however I had a shawl that covered my shoulders.  To go into any of the Stations of the Cross, you need to cover up...you may even be denied entry.  No shortage of places to buy a nice shawl.