Mykonos cruise port question.

willtup5

2 hours ago, willtup5 said:

Where does koningdam dock or tender from in mykonos?

Thanks in advance 

David 

Not sure anyone can give you a definitive answer without knowing which cruise...and even then, we may not know.  On our previous visits to the island it appeared the port could only handle one large ship.  The "new"  port (Tourlos) is located about 1 mile North of Mykonos Town and most get into town via a shuttle bus...although we have walked.  We have heard about a water taxi (between the new port and town) but it was never running during our visits.  Walking is not a great option because you must stroll along the sometimes busy road.   But if there is more then one ship in port then one of those ships will need to tender.  We have tendered twice in Mykonos and both times we were anchored off of Mykonos Town and we actually tendered right into town (very convenient).  But we know another cruiser who told us they tendered into the cruise port which was about 1 mile from town.

Also keep in mind that most cruises will offer a cruise excursion to nearby Delos.  If you take this excursion you will most likely be tendered directly off your ship to Delos (before the ship actually arrives a Mykonos).  Once you finish your visit to Delos (a deserted island with ruins) you will be taken via a shuttle boat to Mykonos Town.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have been in Mykonos three times (Oosterdam, Zuiderdam and Koningsdam) and each time (April and October) the water taxi was running between the mooring point in the new port and the old town.  It was a short ride through the outer harbour.  I can't remember the price but it was relatively inexpensive, maybe 3 or 4 euros per person each way.

I would not count on having a definitive answer for this port. I've been there three times. Once we were first told we would tender, but ended up docking. Next time we were told we would dock, but we ended up tendering. Go figure...

Either way it is pretty easy to get into town. When you tender, you will step off the boat and be right there. When you dock it is just a short shuttle or boat ride (or a medium but unpleasant walk) and you will arrive at Mykonos town.

(Additionally, contrary to Hank's experience, when I booked a Delos tour on my first visit, the ship docked at Mykonos, and the tour was then offloaded to a waiting ferry, which took us over to Delos and then back again.)

Edited to add:  Forgot to mention that there are seasonal winds (I think from August through early October) that occasionally make it impossible to either dock OR tender at Mykonos during that period. In which case the port may be cancelled.

Edited by cruisemom42

50 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

(Additionally, contrary to Hank's experience, when I booked a Delos tour on my first visit, the ship docked at Mykonos, and the tour was then offloaded to a waiting ferry, which took us over to Delos and then back again.)

We had the same experience.

I want to add that Mykonos is a cat-lover's heaven.  They're everywhere.  I drove my traveling companions nuts because I wanted to see all the cats.  😄