Taxi line at ports

blondie1234

51 minutes ago, blondie1234 said:

Can uber or Lyft come into the port and are they plentiful?

Uber and Lyft are plentiful in places like Maui and Honolulu (usually only a couple minute wait and they come in UberX, UberXL, and Select). They exist but are less abundant in Kauai and Hawaii-- read longer wait times. A lot of people utilize both ship and private excursions so there isn't a huge hard press for taxis or Ubers usually anywhere POA sails. 

12 hours ago, blondie1234 said:

I assume they have this in Honolulu but do they also have this in the other islands?

Honolulu is a large city so there are taxis more in the traditional sense that do cue up (although Uber/Lyft has dwindled their numbers considerably). On the other islands there are more local taxi companies that are more telephone dispatch than hailing. Theres a chance they could be at the ship when it docks if they're not busy but doesn't happen all the time-- mainly cue at the airports. 

For example in Maui, which is one of the busier islands, most of the traditional taxis you'll come across you'll need to call into to schedule or request a pick up. They're pretty few and far between to hail. SpeediShuttle is a good option if you need to transport a larger amount of people-- reasonable rates for large Mercedes Sprinters. But for the most part you'll be best served by using Uber/Lyft. 

We got back last week and rented an Uber or Lyft at every port. Didn’t wait longer than 5-10 minutes for them and they were very cheap . We put the details into google maps and selected taxi, it shows you both Uber and Lyft prices and timing and then you pick the quickest/cheapest and click the link and it opens the app. Strongly suggest you have both apps set up on your phone as prices varied greatly in some ports. I also did this before I left whilst trip planning to work out what time we needed to leave. It was very simple and seamless. 

If you’re from the UK get a credit card with no currency fees otherwise you get a horrible bill when you get home as it charges your normal card will charge you on every transaction. Also set the apps up well in advance as they send you lots of offers. 

Get someone you know to intro you to the apps as well as you both get a few pounds off. My Uber code is: cathyr901ue

• Like 1