VAT

SALAD MUNCHER

I am sailing on the "Around the British Isles" cruise in August and have just found this interesting notice within my VP, which I have copied below.: (sorry that I am unable to remove the background colour from my comments after the notice by Cunard)

European VAT in Shops, Photo Gallery & Spa

"....Due to European VAT Regulations, VAT is payable during certain voyages, where the ship does not call at a port outside of the EU.

This VAT will be payable on the following on board items – goods purchased in the on board shops, Photo Gallery and products purchased in the Spa. It does not apply, however, to treatments and services in the Spa.  During the period where VAT will be charged you will be unable to purchase liquor and tobacco products for taking home.

Prices displayed on board are exclusive of VAT and therefore the VAT element will be added to the advertised price, where applicable, upon purchase. The VAT element will be itemised separately on your receipt.

The periods when German, Spanish or UK VAT are due will be confirmed on board via the ship’s newspaper...."

As this cruise does not sail into any port that is outside the EU, can anyone confirm that there will be 20% UK VAT placed on all items mentioned in the above notice?  Does it include alcohol and beverages purchased for consumption in the bars and restaurants, similarly to the Spanish VAT does if a ship is sailing in Spanish waters?

If not why are only some products having VAT applied and not others?

I have just searched on the internet and found the following info for P&O med cruises, interestingly it includes VAT on bar drinks in Spanish waters but not in Italian!

Italian IVA (VAT) of 22% will be payable on the following on board items:

• Goods purchased in the on board shops
  • Photo gallery
  • Products purchased in the spa (it does not apply, however, to treatments and services in the spa)
  • During the week where IVA will be charged you will be unable to purchase liquor and tobacco products to take home.

Spanish IVA (VAT) of 10% will be payable on the following on board items: 

• Bars
  • Restaurants – Select Dining Cover Charges
  • Room Service Menus During the week where IVA will be charged you will be unable to purchase liquor and tobacco products to take home.

36 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

As exlondoner says as your itinerary calls at Guernsey there will be no VAT.

If there was it would be as per the notice in your VP, on shop purchases but not drinks.

Oh yes I forgot about Guernsey! So that's why they always try to do a stop there.........

• Like 1