How to get to Mendenhall Glacier

takemeaway2008

Looking for recommendations on the best way to get from the ship to the Glacier. It looks like a taxi would be about $40. I've looked at some tours but not sure how long we have at the Glacier. There was one that includes a rainforest walk that looked interesting and about $45 each. I see there's a glacier shuttle too. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks. 

If there are 3 or more in your group, you may find it cheaper to rent a car for the day.  Plus this gives you the opportunity to visit other locations around Juneau.

Other than rental cars,  there are 2 shuttle companies that are about $45pp , or taxis, or the public bus which drops you about a mile from the Visitor Center.  

Options and vendors are listed in the Mendenhall web site:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

5 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

If there are 3 or more in your group, you may find it cheaper to rent a car for the day.  Plus this gives you the opportunity to visit other locations around Juneau.

No, it's only the two of us and I'm happy just going over to the Mendenhall. Walking from the public bus is unappealing, and I'm willing to pay more to not do that. 

I have that website open in another tab so I will see what I can find. Thanks. 

If you don’t want to rent a car, I would recommend taking the shuttle.  With the shuttle, you can take as long as you want at the glacier. ( My first visit to Mendenhall ten years ago was with a tour—we were allowed 45 minutes!).  The shuttle departs/arrives pretty close to the ships.  Then after you return, depending on weather, you can take the tram up to Mt Roberts and do some hiking or walk around town (shops, state capital, etc).

35 minutes ago, DaBook said:

Did you reserve and pre-pay for your shuttle online first or just show up and pay there??

You can just walk up.    There are some very nice trails to consider. Along with Visitor Center activities. So consider checking the schedule.