New to RCI can you help with these questions?

K8T

Hi

Last time we sailed RCI, was back in 2000 and things have changed a lot since then.  We are booked on Anthem out of New York in August and have found most of my queries by doing a search, but some just seem to be illusive and I hope you can help.  Many thanks.

Firstly, I see you can take two bottles of wine on board (corkage fee may be charged), but can you bring any beer on?  Also can you bring anything on at other stops, or does this have to be handed in and you get it back at disembarkation?

How much are the speciality coffees?  We are probably getting the drinks package on which includes premium coffees, what is the difference between 'premium' and 'speciality'?

Our 14 year old doesn't drink coke, or fizzy drinks, but will have smoothies and milkshakes, does the refreshment package include these?  Or can we get them on our package, we will have one each, for her?   If not how much are the milkshakes and smoothies, or can you direct me to a list of costs.

Is ice cream free on board?  We are used to Disney, where everything (apart from alcohol) is included!

Do you have to book for anytime dining, or can you wing it?  We have no idea what times we will want to eat yet, so don't want to choose a time in advance.

Do other slots open for the skydive experience during the cruise?  We have only been able to book for one.

Is it better to buy the drinks package before we go - I see it's priced in pounds, for us, which is probably an advantage, or do they do discounts once on board?

Many many thanks and sorry if I am asking the obvious, I have looked - honestly  😊  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K8T said:

Hi

Last time we sailed RCI, was back in 2000 and things have changed a lot since then.  We are booked on Anthem out of New York in August and have found most of my queries by doing a search, but some just seem to be illusive and I hope you can help.  Many thanks.

Firstly, I see you can take two bottles of wine on board (corkage fee may be charged), but can you bring any beer on?  Also can you bring anything on at other stops, or does this have to be handed in and you get it back at disembarkation?

How much are the speciality coffees?  We are probably getting the drinks package on which includes premium coffees, what is the difference between 'premium' and 'speciality'?

Our 14 year old doesn't drink coke, or fizzy drinks, but will have smoothies and milkshakes, does the refreshment package include these?  Or can we get them on our package, we will have one each, for her?   If not how much are the milkshakes and smoothies, or can you direct me to a list of costs.

Is ice cream free on board?  We are used to Disney, where everything (apart from alcohol) is included!

Do you have to book for anytime dining, or can you wing it?  We have no idea what times we will want to eat yet, so don't want to choose a time in advance.

Do other slots open for the skydive experience during the cruise?  We have only been able to book for one.

Is it better to buy the drinks package before we go - I see it's priced in pounds, for us, which is probably an advantage, or do they do discounts once on board?

Many many thanks and sorry if I am asking the obvious, I have looked - honestly  😊  

I'm not a RCI  expert, only one RCI cruise, 2011.  You can make reservations for MTD prior to the cruise and we have done so for 50th anniversary cruise next year. I don't think that you can bring beer.  I bought drink packages for all 7 of us.  Prices are cheaper in advance vs. onboard.  We have never cruised Disney.  I believe I've cream is free.

18 minutes ago, K8T said:

Hi

Wine only, no beer at port of embarkation only.

the refreshment package covers smoothies and all virgin drinks.  Milkshakes are only available at Johnny Rockets and you may have to order food to get the free milkshake 

ice cream is free.  Frozen yogurt machine by the pool.  Hard ice cream in the WJ at dinner 

you can show up without reservations for dining.

drink packages are very rarely cheaper on board 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

26 minutes ago, K8T said:

Hi

No difference.  Refers to espresso based drinks like latte.

Our 14 year old doesn't drink coke, or fizzy drinks, but will have smoothies and milkshakes, does the refreshment package include these?  Yes.   Or can we get them on our package, we will have one each, for her?   Can not order a drink for your daughter using your drink package.  They may not be shared.  If not how much are the milkshakes and smoothies, or can you direct me to a list of costs.  Not sure but figure about $5.00 plus 18% gratuity.

Is ice cream free on board?  We are used to Disney, where everything (apart from alcohol) is included!  Soft serve poolside is free.  MDR at dinner is free.  Sometimes available in Windjammer for free.  Specialty ice cream like Ben and Jerry's is NOT free.

Do you have to book for anytime dining, or can you wing it?  We have no idea what times we will want to eat yet, so don't want to choose a time in advance.  Reservations are not necessary.  They would be helpful if you have a large group (6+).

Do other slots open for the skydive experience during the cruise?  We have only been able to book for one.  More slots will be opened up once on board.  Check with them on boarding day.

Is it better to buy the drinks package before we go - I see it's priced in pounds, for us, which is probably an advantage, or do they do discounts once on board?  Best deal is almost always before you board.

In regards to the Refreshment Package. If you decide to purchase it, your daughter will also be able to order virgin drinks / mocktails. We are sailing on Liberty soon which doesn't have smoothies, so I'm sure they will get their fill of non-alcoholic strawberry daiquiris!

2 hours ago, K8T said:

I am not sure if "book for one" means you have only been able to book one person in a time slot or book your entire party one time.

If it is the former - there are slots that are available to book when you first step aboard - but they go fast.  Make it a priority to book as soon as you board.

If it is the latter, it is unlikely that you will be able to experience iFly more than once during your cruise.  If there are any no-shows, the staff will give preference to those that have not had a turn yet - especially children.

The only exception I have ever seen on Anthem is those who have purchased the Key - it is possible to book a session in a "regular" time slot and then go again during the special "Key" time.  IIRC, the Key time is usually during a port day.

ymmv