Newbie to NCL

blaken09

Hello fellow cruisers!

I’m a first time NCL Cruiser. Booked on the Joy on Aug 17th for the Alaskan cruise. I’ve been on many other cruises (RCCL, Disney, Carnival). I’m just looking for any tips or heads up on things that are different or must-dos on NCL. 

We have the drink package, WiFi, shore credit, and specialty dining promos. 

Any food or drinks that we must try on NCL?

Is there anything unique to NCL that you didn’t know about or wish you knew about before your first sailing with them?

Also if anyone has any recommendations or tips for an Alaskan cruise, I’m all ears as this is also my first time cruising to AK! 

Thanks and happy cruising!

On embarkation day, you have a couple of choices for lunch. In addition to the buffet, one of the main dining rooms will be open and the pub-food place will also (it has table service). The pub food place is called The Local on the Joy, I think, whereas other ships have the same restaurant named O'Sheehans.

All dining is freestyle, a concept NCL originated among American cruise lines. Instead of fixed dining you choose any of the restaurants you want and just walk up, like you do on land. We love this feature, but some have complained they missed shows because they didn't realize how long dinner took ... other lines, with fixed dining, generally arrange the dining times so you can catch the first or second show. So you just have to be aware of that if you are a show type person. We prefer that on a port intensive cruise because we can eat whenever we get back on board, rather than rushing to get back on board and get ready for dinner.

There are no formal nights at all. Very relaxed dress code; only 2 or 3 restaurants will have a "no shorts" policy. Don't bother to bring a suit, sport jacket, or any other fancy clothes unless that's a traditional thing for your family. You can of course dress for dinner if you like, and there are one or two days they designate as "Norwegian's night out" or something similar. While it's completely optional, and only about 20% of the people dress up, the captain will be available for photos on that night.

Room service has a fee now, except for coffee and cold baked goods between 6 and 9:30. Any other time and you pay something like $7.50 for delivery. Some items on the room service menu have an extra charge.

When the Joy leaves Juneau, it does some Scenic  Glacier Cruising on the way to Skagway - they usually go up one of two fjords to visit tidewater glaciers - there is also a tour offered where you board a small boat that leaves ahead of the Joy and goes into the same fjord - but your get to experience the glacier much more up close and personal - it also makes the fjord experience grander - the excursion fills fast so I would highly recommend it - it used to go under the name of Tracy Arm Explorer - not sure what today's name is for it. In Juneau there is whale watching, a glacier, sled dogs, and gold mines - take your choice of one.

Also in Skagway the train ride is cool - but best done in the afternoon as the weather is often better and there is more wildlife.

I am not sure NCL offers it, but there is an all day excursion that combines bus and train between Carcross in the Yukon and Skagway in AK - you must have a passport to do this one - or any excursion that goes into Canada. Also in Skagway is a store that sells Christmas stuff - some of it made by first nation people.

Get your shopping on in Ketchikan - your first stop there are several Tongass trading companies near the dock and in town. They have the best selection of souvenirs and clothing. Also take a walk to Creek Street.

As for NCL I think you will find them more similar to the others than different. If you want to see the shows - make reservations early.

For more port information see www.cruiseportinsider.com

Enjoy your cruise

1 hour ago, blaken09 said:

Hello fellow cruisers!

I’m a first time NCL Cruiser. Booked on the Joy on Aug 17th for the Alaskan cruise. I’ve been on many other cruises (RCCL, Disney, Carnival). I’m just looking for any tips or heads up on things that are different or must-dos on NCL. 

Is there anything unique to NCL that you didn’t know about or wish you knew about before your first sailing with them?

Also if anyone has any recommendations or tips for an Alaskan cruise, I’m all ears as this is also my first time cruising to AK! 

The link below is to a live post from the Joy now. Check it out

8 hours ago, blaken09 said:

Hello fellow cruisers!

Have a great cruise and remember, as you know, all lines are somewhat the same but still with their own personalities. 

As for Alaska, if you are going to Skagway, we sure to do a tour, other than the train trip. We found a tour company after we got off the ship that was fantastic. They took up right to the border of the Yukon, gave us a wonderful lesson on the entire history of Skagway and the price was right. Unfortunately I don't remember the name. 

Food is subjective: for us, Le Bistro is number one always. Teppanaki's (spelling) is fun but way too much food. Le Cucina  is our least favorite specialty dining room 

My drink choice for early morning is a TOma but when on NCL earlier this year they said they no longer feature it. Darn. The bar tender did make me one, just not as good as years past.