Using Halifax clarity cars and onboard spending statement ?

Hi were going on Independence of the seas for 3 nights end Aug , have no onboard spending. If we link our Halifax clarity card to our account and are billed in usd I'm I correct in thinking we would get conversion charges?

Also if we are people from another cabin onto our card does the final statement have the cabin numbers on it ? So we can sort who spent what?I

Thanks

If your card charges a foreign transaction fee, then you will get charged a conversion fee as all onboard charges are in USD.

Each charge has a notation indicating which guest made the charge.

Hi Tikka,

On my last cruise put everything through my clarity, told the ship to keep it in USD and not charge in GBP - no non-sterling fees on the halifax statement.

You will get a poorer rate if you let the ship convert from USD to GBP rather than Halifax.

Edited by rs132
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rs132 said:

Hi Tikka,

On my last cruise put everything through my clarity, told the ship to keep it in USD and not charge in GBP - no fees on the halifax statement.

You will get a poorer rate if you let the ship convert from USD to GBP rather than Halifax.

This each and every time we cruise!

33 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

Hi were going on Independence of the seas for 3 nights end Aug , have no onboard spending. If we link our Halifax clarity card to our account and are billed in usd I'm I correct in thinking we would get conversion charges?

Also if we are people from another cabin onto our card does the final statement have the cabin numbers on it ? So we can sort who spent what?I

Thanks

This is what we did in June!

3 x cabins but all via my CC. At the end of the week each cabin had it's own paper invoice which was passed onto me to 'double check' ( 2 cabins were newbie cruisers!)  CC was billed for all 3 cabins as it would be for one - then settled up when we all got home.

4 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

This is what we did in June!

3 x cabins but all via my CC. At the end of the week each cabin had it's own paper invoice which was passed onto me to 'double check' ( 2 cabins were newbie cruisers!)  CC was billed for all 3 cabins as it would be for one - then settled up when we all got home.

So do you mean each room got a bill for just their expenses that went into your card? So you could all separate what you all spent? 

14 minutes ago, rs132 said:

Hi Tikka,

On my last cruise put everything through my clarity, told the ship to keep it in USD and not charge in GBP - no non-sterling fees on the halifax statement.

Thank you that's what I thought

7 minutes ago, Tikka234 said:

So do you mean each room got a bill for just their expenses that went into your card? So you could all separate what you all spent? 

Yes - exactly this!

Each cabin had their ongoing spend listed on that particular persons 'page' on the tv in the cabin, and on the last evening a paper statement was posted to each cabin with the final totals, but as stated it all went onto my card.

If there's no trust issues and no one who'll go daft with spending onboard then you won't have any issues.

46 minutes ago, IzznOll17 said:

Yes - exactly this!

Each cabin had their ongoing spend listed on that particular persons 'page' on the tv in the cabin, and on the last evening a paper statement was posted to each cabin with the final totals, but as stated it all went onto my card.

If there's no trust issues and no one who'll go daft with spending onboard then you won't have any issues.

Thank you

1 hour ago, IzznOll17 said:

Yes - exactly this!

Just one more ? My granddaughter boyfriend is in her cabin with others he was going to have his own card, if he came into mine am I right to assume all 3 of them will be on the same bill so won't be able to split them? See how much each has spent? 

Thank you 

1 minute ago, IzznOll17 said:

it'd just be like any cabin - each person's spend is identified via their portfolio (number on seapass card that's unique to them) 

Thank you so I could add him and identify his spends

• Like 1

We always use our Halifax clarity card for cruise accounts. Make sure they bill you in dollars, and you will pay no commission or extra charges, just the Halifax exchange rate which is much better than the cruise line.

On one cruise, despite me specifying the account in dollars, they sent the final account to my cabin in pounds sterling. Trip to customer services and they sorted it back to dollars. ( obviously not on P and O, which is all in pounds!)

Always get a paper print out statement halfway through the cruise (ok I know a bit tricky on a 3 nighter!) to see if your balance is still in $.  If it is not you still have time to get them to correct it.  The tv screen will always show in $. 

I always issue this advise. On my last cruise last month I did not follow my own advise.... and guess what.....the final bill was in ££... 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1