British Isles Weather & Other ?'s

Penny61

Next June we will be taking a Princess cruise on the Regal Princess.  We will visit England, Scotland, Ireland and France.  I am wondering what the weather will be like and suggestions on what type of clothing and other items that we should pack.  We will be traveling from the United States will I need to have a power converter to use on the ship?  We are new to international cruising so any other suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Edited by Penny61
Wrong File

If you can predict the weather over here, you will make a fortune! Last month we had record breaking temperatures; this last 2 weeks have been storms and below average temps, so you just never know. (If you ever want to make conversation with a Brit, just say what nice/horrible/wet weather it is today!). Hopefully it should never be really cold, so pack for the best and bring a light waterproof jacket or a brolly in case it rains...which it probably will! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

On the ship, they will have US power sockets, but if you are staying in Europe, you will need some sort of converter as the plugs are different and you run on 110V and we run on 220-240V, so check your appliances to see if they are dual voltage before plugging them in and blowing them up!

Simon

The usual answer to this is layers and always a waterproof jacket and umbrella as the previous poster said. 

I wear a short-sleeved top throughout June, July and August and lightweight cotton trousers.  I always have a cotton jumper and my Goretex jacket to hand.  This morning, it rained heavily for 15 minutes and it was quite windy but not cold. After that the sun shone so I walked my dog. It was then drizzly but now it's bright and sunny again and that's all in 3 hours. All of Britain has been badly affected by very heavy rain this week with flooding in places. The only thing you can say for sure about the British weather is that it's 100% unpredictable. 

7 hours ago, Penny61 said:

Next June we will be taking a Princess cruise on the Regal Princess.  We will visit England, Scotland, Ireland and France.  I am wondering what the weather will be like and suggestions on what type of clothing and other items that we should pack.  We will be traveling from the United States will I need to have a power converter to use on the ship?  We are new to international cruising so any other suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

I will stay away from weather, as you have responses already.

As to electricity on shore, there is a difference between a converter (which converts voltage) and an adapter (which just changes the plug configuration). As mentioned, most electronics are dual voltage. (Laptop, tablet, phone, camera, etc.) Somewhere on the little box that you plug the cable into it should say something like 110-240V. Then you just need an adapter. There are different ones for the UK and for Europe, so it depends if you are staying for pre and or post cruise.

I don't recommend bringing a hair dryer, which is probably not dual voltage and even with a converter will not work well. They should be supplied on board.

8 hours ago, Penny61 said:

I am wondering what the weather will be like and suggestions on what type of clothing and other items that we should pack. 

I should have mentioned that we are from Arizona June temperatures for us here are 110+ degrees anything below 65 is considered winter LOL!! 

I’m on Crown Princess British Isles right now. Coldest port was Orkney Islands (Kirkland) Scotland and warmest was Southampton. We’ve worn everything from short sleeve tees and capris to 3 layers including a raincoat. We would look at forecast the night before and dress appropriately. Most days took an umbrella but only used it a few days for a short period. 

We were there in July of 2017 and even then, we had a variety of weather. While we didn't do the same more Northern ports that you are, we did do a couple places in the UK and France. We had some chilly, rainy weather on the coast of England (Tintagel) and then some really warm days in London. In France (D-Day beaches) it was nice, sunny, but not super warm that I recall, until maybe in the later afternoon.

In Oslo & Hamburg we had rain! And Oslo, it was enough that by the end of the day, we were completely soaked! We were thankful for the sea day the next day so our shoes could dry. I would definitely recommend layers, as you said, being from AZ. We're from Chicago, so we get different weather by the hour here. And if you can pack some small, compact umbrellas, definitely do that.