Fort Lorenzo Panama excursion

Sea-Bos

Hi! We have perused the excursions  in Gatun Lake/Panama for hours. We finally booked the Fort Lorenzo tour thinking it took a bus to the Fort and we would be able to see some of the countryside.  Now we think it

might be a ferry? Can anyone verify?  We will be on Holland America Zuirdam on 10/20/19

Thanks! 

32 minutes ago, Sea-Bos said:

Hi! We have perused the excursions  in Gatun Lake/Panama for hours. We finally booked the Fort Lorenzo tour thinking it took a bus to the Fort and we would be able to see some of the countryside.  Now we think it

might be a ferry? Can anyone verify?  We will be on Holland America Zuirdam on 10/20/19

Thanks! 

FYI, the ship is the Zuiderdam.

The ferry  was operated to provide better access for that area on the west bank of the Canal.  The road was restricted to one way where you had to cross the locks causing horrendous traffic backups.  Now that the new Atlantic Bridge is open for traffic I don't think the ferry will be used.  

On 9/23/2019 at 5:01 AM, BillB48 said:

Now that the new Atlantic Bridge is open for traffic I don't think the ferry will be used.  

Bill, I was just coming on here to see if the Bridge was open yet, and a search turned up your post.   So it's really in use now?   Excellent!

While the structure was completed about 10 months ago, the bridge didn't open for traffic until some time in August this year.  I am sure the marina located at the former Army base of Ft. Sherman will receive a lot more attention.  Getting to the ruins of Ft. San Lorenzo which are just beyond Ft. Sherman will be much easier now as well.

Edited by BillB48
  • Thanks 1