Final word from RCCL on Jeans-in-Dining-Room policy

PAGA

Funny you should post that, I sent an email to the customer support address on the website asking that very question. Haven't received a response yet but it appears you did.

Thanks for confirming what alot of us suspected. ;)

Interresting, I sent an e-mail yesterday as well (01/30/06). It will be interresting to see the reply.

I've actually been aware of it for a year or so. RCI dropped the "no denim jeans" wording in their dress code a long time ago.

Personally, I don't really care what other people are wearing. Although, it does seem odd to me that you would go on a luxury vacation and dress down. We consider a cruise a notch up from everyday life and like to look good. The argument is that "designer" jeans (they're all designer jeans, some designer designed the ones sold at WalMart!) are dressy with a nice top and heels. I'm a little too old to see it, but that is the attitude of younger people. I say, live and let live and don't judge a person by the clothes they wear, but by the people they are.

The jeans threads are fun, though.

Without a doubt this thread is a case of " I want to be right and you are wrong." Seems most are willing to continue emailing RCI until they get the answer they want. Then they can say "I told you so." If policy allows it what does it really matter what someone wears? People go on vacation to enjoy themselves and relax not to be put under a microscope and criticized for what they chose to wear or for that matter not wear. Relax people there are much more important issues out there to debate.

Without a doubt this thread is a case of " I want to be right and you are wrong." Seems most are willing to continue emailing RCI until they get the answer they want. Then they can say "I told you so." If policy allows it what does it really matter what someone wears? People go on vacation to enjoy themselves and relax not to be put under a microscope and criticized for what they chose to wear or for that matter not wear. Relax people there are much more important issues out there to debate.

Actually, I'm expecting the cruise line to respond to someone else saying that jeans are not allowed, which would not make me say I told you so, but prove that their responses are contradictory and can't be trusted either way.

I'll respond.:D :rolleyes: Note it says "casual attire evenings". I'm not sure that was ever the argument, but more to the point, that people wear them on other nights that were not casual. Such as formal and "smart casual".

Those are the nights that I think have been argued over. Everyone knows they are allowed on the first, last, and any other designated "casual" night.

Open mouth, insert foot.:D ;)

Couldn't agree more... well said! :)

I, for one, DID wear "designer" jeans, (no, not the Wal-Mart ones referenced in an earlier post) a nice top and heels on our HAL European cruise this fall -- not a word spoken, or any inappropriate looks in my direction (I was looking...).

As for those who disagree and who just cannot stand to be seen in the company of those in jeans -- forego the dining room on "casual" nights for a more formal meal in the "alternative" (paid) restaurant.

Just got back from my second RCL cruise on Mariner. 2 years ago it was Explorer, and I did notice the dining attire has changed by RCL. Most nights were casual, except the 2 formal. I liked it and knowing this I had worn jeans to travel but brought another pair of nice dark ones to wear on those evenings. I only wore them one evening cause I wanted to wear other things too. I actually liked the policy--more relaxed and it is still up to the individual as to what to wear. My jeans were nice, with a nice top and heels....nothing dirty looking at all. I am a causul gal and love jeans. I also did dress up for formal nights. It should not matter and should not take away from the cruising experience.

Wow, you guys are having a good ole' time over here, aren't you?

First, let me say that for me, I don't judge others by what they wear. Wear jeans to dinner if you want. Personally, I don't while I'm on a cruise, unless its during the day and I'm about the island, but I'm not going to judge you if you do. As another poster said, I wear jeans at home, when I go cruising I love to shop for new things and be a little more 'dressy'. In 'dressy', I mean capri's and nice resort wear things.

If jeans are allowed on casual night, wear jeans. Otherwise, cruise lines have a dress code and want to create an atmosphere, one I appreciate, one I don't dine in every night at home, so I for one like the different atmosphere. Not to the point of wearing pantyhose and really 'dressing up' every night, but there are many styles that look just as nice.

If RCL is accepting more 'casual' dress, and in this I mean a nice pair of capri's and tops, khaki's and polo's for men, this is great. This is on the line of NCL dress code, resort casual, and its one of the reasons I like NCL. (No flames here, I'm not a troll, I'm also an RCL cruiser.) We've dressed up for formal night and love it, but I don't like the full pantyhose, dress, skirt, more dressy dinner attire EVERY night, but I do it if that's the protocol.

So if jeans are allowed on casual night, wear jeans. The people who want to wear jeans to dinner on other evenings shouldn't be going into the dining room where the policy is 'no jeans', and choose another venue instead. We may not like it, but sometimes there are rules and policies to follow.

If you were invited to a wedding, would you dress as you wanted? A formal Christmas party given by the boss? A job interview for a position in a top corporation? Would anyone, teens or adults, where jeans to such an occassion? No matter how nice your jeans, or how comfortable you are in them, ask if you would wear them to any of those type's of occassions.

There are different atmosphere's where a certain dress code is required, and the cruise lines create this atmosphere and give people other options if they choose not to dine in that kind of atmosphere. Just as if it's a formal wedding, you get the invitation and it says black tie optional, have the decency and respect for other people to adhere to the kind of day they wish to create. And unless it says it's a back yard bar-b-q and jeans are appropriate, don't disrespect people and wear what you want.

And just a comment to those who talk of 'designer jeans' etc. Jeans do look nice, as I said, I like jeans, I wear them, I'm comfortable in them. But the problem you have here is that if you 'allow' jeans, one person might have the nice stylish jeans, but another may be in those jeans they garden in at home. So there would be the problem of 'what kind of jeans' to allow and this opens a whole new can of worms.

So for those who want to wear jeans to dinner EVERY night when the dress code is otherwise, just ask yourself if you'd wear those jeans to your friend's wedding, or to dinner with the boss, or a job interview.

I just got an email response back from RCI concerning jeans in the dining room. Here is their response:

Do you folks on cruise critic have a life?

Ida Doon Kare

Customer Service Representative :D

lol:)

I just got an email response back from RCI concerning jeans in the dining room. Here is their response:

Do you folks on cruise critic have a life?

Ida Doon Kare

Customer Service Representative :D

LOL - I like the post and often feel the same. However, I do understand that some new cruisers are here looking for answers as they've never been on a cruise and need to know things. I just posted on another thread...

As heated as it gets, and as frustrating, it's also a beneficial discussion as first time cruisers get information from the boards, sometimes they have to wade through the crap, but I guess if you look at it in the sense of fertilizer, I guess sometimes crap is useful too. lol

After going on 2 cruise vacations. I have never seen so many brat children. I seriously wanted to throw them off the ship. I am glad my parents taught me manners and espically things not to say to a stranger. This little 4 year old girl, told my dad while we were eating one night that he shouldn't lean back, and should eat sitting up straight. Meanwhile, my dad isnt a slob and eats very proper.

Also some people are such a pain in the ass when they order diner, sending it back etc, complaining Bi*thing about there meal etc. Some people need to just shut up and there food. I understand you paid a ton of money to go on a vacation but it doesnt give you the right to talk to peopel like trash. Trust me I know, I worked for Disney World for 8 months on a college internship, and people would talk to me like crap all the time, and think im some kind of idiot.

Anyways.. to the topic, If people want to wear jeans so be it, personally I wouldn't I like to look nice when going out to dinner...

Don't know if anyone else is tired of the debate on these boards and has posed the question to RCCL, but here's the response I received:

"Denim jeans are allowed in the main dining room on casual attire evenings.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Pedro Curbelo

Customer Service Representative"

Love it! Is this the same guy who told another poster that there was a Johnny Rockets and Portofinos now on the Monarch?

Have you not yet learned that if you ask 5 CSRs at RCI the same question....you get 5 different answers?

Their website also says they have a concierge lounge on Monarch.

They are not the most reliable group in communication.

Everyone can believe what they want, it makes no difference anyway since they don't enforce the rules.

I for one would not think it is OK. I think that to the best of one's ability, everyone should follow all guidelines, rules, suggestions, and policies. In my original thread, I said that I am a rule follower and I just wanted to know if such a rule (forbidding jeans on casual nights) really existed in writing! I am convinced now that it is OK to wear jeans so I'll quit worrying about it. We'll be dressed to the nines on formal night, fashionably smart on casual smart night, and presentable, clean and unoffensive on casual night. No wait, I guess we might offend some of you if we're wearing our jeans on casual night! Sorry. All I care about is that I am setting a good example to my children and showing them that it is correct to follow rules.

I have a question. If you did find printed rules, clear as can be, that specifically say jeans are not allowed in the dining room at dinner at all, would you still insist that as long as they are "nice" jeans, then it is acceptable?

Ok. I guess I'll have to be serious here. I think most, and I do mean the vast majority follow the rules here (rules defined as no tees, shorts, etc., whatever is spelled out).

Therefore by default if there was a "rule" that said no jeans and it was not arbitrary, I believe that the same vast majority would follow the "rules.

Now with that said, can you answer a question? Can you live with the fact there is no rule about not wearing denim jeans on casual night and it is therefore not prohibited? Furthermore, with the host saying that is acceptable, can we leave this rest?

I have a question. If you did find printed rules, clear as can be, that specifically say jeans are not allowed in the dining room at dinner at all, would you still insist that as long as they are "nice" jeans, then it is acceptable?

Speaking for myself, absolutely not. If there is a clearly written policy of no jeans, no means no regardless of how nice they are.

Now with that said, can you answer a question? Can you live with the fact there is no rule about not wearing denim jeans on casual night and it is therefore not prohibited? Furthermore, with the host saying that is acceptable, can we leave this rest?

No. You should know better. And I don't think the host is saying it is acceptable, I just think they don't want to say it is unacceptable, there is a difference.

No. You should know better. And I don't think the host is saying it is acceptable, I just think they don't want to say it is unacceptable, there is a difference.

Ahhhhhhhh, any reason why you think they don't want to say it's unacceptable. You're getting close. Maybe we can get you there.

I did not respond not because I don't want to admit anything, but simply because I didn't see this post.

Besides, I believe you fabricated your response.

Re-read the op. I didn't make the original post, so I fabricated nothing.

Ahhhhhhhh, any reason why you think they don't want to say it's unacceptable. You're getting close. Maybe we can get you there.

What an obnoxious response..."maybe we can get you there"

Let me guess, you didn't intend to be a smart aleck, did you?

To answer your question, they don't want to say it is unacceptable because they don't want people to not show up who want to wear jeans. If I had a relative or friend tell me that he/she wanted to wear jeans to my wedding, I wouldn't want them to, but I'd propably rather have them show up in jeans than not at all, I would not be happy though.

I think the cruiselines is the same way, they'd probably rather have you show up in jeans than not at all, but they'd rather you not wear jeans. There is a reason they don't use paper placemats and paper napkins. There is a reason the waitstaff dress in ties/vests/etc instead of jeans and a t-shirt with buttons all over it. There is a reason the waiters ask "May I take your plate" instead of "are you still workin' on that?". There is a reason they don't sit next to you when they are taking your order to show they are your pal. There are many many things that distiguish the dining room from Applebees (don't get me wrong, I love Applebees). Another one is how the passengers are expected to behave, and one of them is their attire.

There is a reason I (and many others) don't wear jeans, because it distinguishes the dining room from any other restaurant, and because the cruiseline goes to such lengths to make that distiction, the passengers should be able to do their part as well.

I'll respond.:D :rolleyes: Note it says "casual attire evenings". I'm not sure that was ever the argument, but more to the point, that people wear them on other nights that were not casual. Such as formal and "smart casual".

Those are the nights that I think have been argued over. Everyone knows they are allowed on the first, last, and any other designated "casual" night.

Open mouth, insert foot.:D ;)

On a 7 night cruise, there are 4 casual nights. I have seen MANY people argue over whether or not jeans are allowed on those nights, so to say that was not the arguement is false. I would never wear jeans on formal or smart casual nights, but I have been totally bashed for saying jeans are ok on casual night. Maybe not by you, cause you have always been totally nice and respectful. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Couldn't agree more... well said! :)

I, for one, DID wear "designer" jeans, (no, not the Wal-Mart ones referenced in an earlier post) a nice top and heels on our HAL European cruise this fall -- not a word spoken, or any inappropriate looks in my direction (I was looking...).

As for those who disagree and who just cannot stand to be seen in the company of those in jeans -- forego the dining room on "casual" nights for a more formal meal in the "alternative" (paid) restaurant.

I am really disappointed to hear this about HAL. They are known to uphold their dress code but this shows that even the old guard is slacking off.

Archived