San Diego Hilton Harbor Island/Airport

DaveOKC

We normally stay near the SD pier, but due to a convention prices are crazy high this time.  

I am looking at the Hilton on Harbor Island (also called Hiton Airport) and want to know if anyone has stayed there and how it was.  I understand that they have a free shuttle from the airport and to the pier (has anyone used the pier one?).

Haven't stayed there but know the area. There are some nice restaurants nearby.

It definitely has a shuttle to the airport which is just across the road.

I do not see anything on the web site that says it has a shuttle to the pier.

Where did you find that information??

6 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Haven't stayed there but know the area. There are some nice restaurants nearby.

It definitely has a shuttle to the airport which is just across the road.

I do not see anything on the web site that says it has a shuttle to the pier.

Where did you find that information??

I called the hotel directly.

What nearby restaurants do you recommend?

Edited by DaveOKC

Hi,

Island Prime/C level is one that I like.

They are in the same restaurants. C level has views and doesn't take reservations and is lower key  than the higher priced a bit more formal Island Prime part of the restaurant. C Level is also open for lunch.

Here are the menus:

https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/islandprime/menu

The  Cohns are a family that own many restaurants in San Diego. They are not a chaing but each one has  a different menu and atmosphere.

One other of the Cohn restaurants nearby is Coasterra , also with views but with a more Mexican focus:

https://www.cohnrestaurants.com/coasterra/menu

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If the Homewood Suites Liberty Station or Homewood Suites Bayside are available, that would be my preference. Both have great restaurants you can walk to and some interesting places to stroll. I don't like the isolation of the Hilton by the airport.

The Bayside is available, but no the Liberty Station.   Why would you take this one over the Hilton if I may ask?  Hilton has free shuttles (which I like due to fewer hassles) but Homewood has free breakfast, but we are not big breakfast eaters.

The Homewood Suites is at the end of Little Italy. It is a great place to stroll and get the kinks out after a flight or dinner. A dozen or more of the city's finest restaurants (finest as in quality, not fancy) are in Little Italy. Even if I had to Uber the 3/4 of a mile to the cruise terminal, I'd choose it because it's new and a better location. The Rite Aid you like is only 1/2 a mile from it.

If you aren't wedded to Hilton, the SpringHill Suites and Residence Inn Bayfront are directly across the street from the cruise port.

IF I was staying only one night before a cruise then it wouldn't matter to me about being able to stroll to lots of restaurants.

IF I was staying a few days or getting in early so that I had a full day to explore or wander then I agree that the HomewoodSuites, in walking distance to Little Italy would be my choice!

24 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

IF I was staying only one night before a cruise then it wouldn't matter to me about being able to stroll to lots of restaurants.

IF I was staying a few days or getting in early so that I had a full day to explore or wander then I agree that the HomewoodSuites, in walking distance to Little Italy would be my choice!

It is likely that I will just be staying one night and then of course right to the pier the next morning.  We do like dining in Little Italy, so I guess it will depend on how early we arrive in SD.

Scott - I LOVE the Springhill, but pricing for that day is very high due to a big convention.

Dave,

I'm booked there next January.  The hotel gets good reviews on Trip Advisor.  It was the best price and availability I could find in the Hilton family.  Looks like there are a couple of restaurants within walking distance.  I'm kind of looking forward to trying some place new.

14 hours ago, Roz said:

Dave,

I'm booked there next January.  The hotel gets good reviews on Trip Advisor.  It was the best price and availability I could find in the Hilton family.  Looks like there are a couple of restaurants within walking distance.  I'm kind of looking forward to trying some place new.

Let me know how you like it after you get back - I do not go until April