Compensation Question

gordosgone15

Just returned from Mediterranean Odyssey on Viking Star.  The cruise was fabulous but got off to rocky start when flight to Venice was cancelled at Philadelphia Airport.   Rescheduling was tight and many of us missed Venice and some also missed Split.  Viking refunded scheduled tour money but I was wondering if there is any compensation for missing ports?  Any one have any experience with this?  Trip insurance does not cover.

20 minutes ago, gordosgone15 said:

Just returned from Mediterranean Odyssey on Viking Star.  The cruise was fabulous but got off to rocky start when flight to Venice was cancelled at Philadelphia Airport.   Rescheduling was tight and many of us missed Venice and some also missed Split.  Viking refunded scheduled tour money but I was wondering if there is any compensation for missing ports?  Any one have any experience with this?  Trip insurance does not cover.

We missed Naples port last year on the Med Odyssey cruise.  Immediate refund on our optional excursion.  No compensation for missed port.  Just part of risk involved in cruising.  

I think on some cruises where several ports are missed they may give some compensation but the terms of contract do not require them to. 

• Like 1

Since the delays were a result of cancelled flights, I would be asking if the airlines offer compensation. Not aware of passenger rights in the US, but in UK and Canada we are compensated based on length of delay.

As previous reply noted, this is why we always fly in 1 or 2 days early. For our next cruise, which departs L/A on Jan 4th, we are flying down 2 days early, with Viking accepting my rationale for waiving the deviation fee. Although Vancouver doesn't get much snow, on the rare occasion we get a couple of inches, the roads & airport experience delays. Since we have 8 days at sea, if we were delayed, Viking would have been responsible for flying us to the South Pacific and a number of hotel nights.

3 hours ago, gordosgone15 said:

If the flight from PHL to VCE was operated by a European Union based carrier, and the  cancellation was caused by a non-extraordinary circumstance such as a mechanical issue, crew issue, etc., you would be entitled to 600 Euro each per

EU261 from the airline. 

If it was a US carrier flying to the EU, no 

compensation is mandated. 

If the flight was from an airport in the EU it would make no difference where the carrier was based and compensation from the airline would be based on EU261. 

• Like 1