Australia travel boards?

hugosmom

Thank you, Maxx! My biggest question right now is how to get from Brisbane to Cairns the quickest and easiest way. Our plan was to fly from Melbourne to Brisbane on Friday, then head up to Cairns somehow. I was hoping a train maybe - but it seems way too far away for that. Now I'm thinking we need to fly from Melbourne to Cairns on Friday, then to Brisbane on Sunday. (Hubby has to be in Brisbane for business on Monday.)

What a wonderful puzzle to have to solve! I really appreciate the help. By the way - how do you pronounce Cairns? Do you hear the "r"? What about the "s"?

Thanks!

I've never found a non-stop flight from Melbourne to Cairns. You can check the Qantas or Virgin Blue websites for your best route. Go with whichever route is best for you, but if both have similar routes, I like Qantas better.

NZYE is correct the pronounciations are Cans and MEL-bun.

I've never found a non-stop flight from Melbourne to Cairns.
Currently, Qantas flies MEL-CNS once daily. Jetstar, its low-fares subsidiary (which is as yuck as it sounds) flies once daily plus a second flight 3-4 days a week. (These flights also carry a Qantas code, FWIW.) Virgin Blue flies twice daily. These are all non-stop flights.

You guys are the greatest! Now, let me back up a bit - is there a place closer to Brisbane to visit the Great Barrier Reef? I know that Cairns is the best, but maybe there's someplace that would not require flying from Brisbane - like maybe someplace we could reach by train or bus so we could just stay in Brisbane from Friday - Sunday and take day trips?

I don't scuba or snorkle - just want to see parts of it from a glass-bottomed boat or some such.

Thanks again!

Just some advice from me....

Jetstar is well priced but I have flown once, and once only, with them. They are unreliable. However, sometimes there is no other choice. I think Virgin flies there. Virgin are pretty good from what I hear.

Log on to www.qantas.com and look at the bookings, particulalry red e deals. I try and book international from Sydney to Cairns or wherever I'm going. These flights are very rarely cancelled or late, the planes are bigger and you have a better meal and drinks. The price is often the same if you book far enough in advance.

If flying from Melbourne try & have a stop. It's a long way to Cairns.

Hi, y'all -

We have our tickets from Nashville to Sydney and back home - now have to decide on flights within Australia. I've found what I need from the Qantas site - just have to make the decision about going to Cairns or not. I really hate to be in Australia and not see the Great Barrier Reef but it seems that even the southern part is a long way away from Brisbane. If we're going to have to fly to get there, shouldn't we go ahead and go all the way up to Cairns? We can do that on Friday from Melbourne, then on Sunday afternoon fly to Brisbane.

The other complication is, of course, Hugo (hubby's Seeing Eye dog -that's his "formal night" picture from our Mercury cruise last fall). We need to make sure that whatever we do will be accessible for him. We're all set for the airlines and the quarentine issues, thank goodness. It seems that the options for visiting the GBR might be greater from Cairnes, so more likely to find a tour or make arrangements from there. Any thoughts?

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this. I'm happy to return the favor sometime if anyone needs info about the States!

Well, we are now staying five days in Brisbane - Friday - Tuesday evening. What can you tell me about Fraser Coast South Burnett Region - Hervey Bay and the two "Lady" Islands. Is that drivable from Brisbane if I get brave enough to rent a car? Or is there a train maybe? I've looked at lots and lots of websites and it's just so confusing to me, trying to put all the pieces together. Or maybe there is a touring company that I should be looking at in that area - are there Gray Line tours in the Brisbane area? I continue to be very grateful for any help!

Well, we are now staying five days in Brisbane - Friday - Tuesday evening. What can you tell me about Fraser Coast South Burnett Region - Hervey Bay and the two "Lady" Islands. Is that drivable from Brisbane if I get brave enough to rent a car? Or is there a train maybe? I've looked at lots and lots of websites and it's just so confusing to me, trying to put all the pieces together. Or maybe there is a touring company that I should be looking at in that area - are there Gray Line tours in the Brisbane area? I continue to be very grateful for any help!

My personal favorite is Fraser Island. It is such a unique place.

Google Search 'Fraser Island' or check out

www.fraserisland.net

Not a day trip from Brisbane unless you fly to Hervey Bay. It's about 3.5 hours drive each way.

In season you can also whale watch at Hervey Bay (July to November). I have done this - a once in a lifetime experience. You get up close and personal with the huge and magnificent Humpback whales.

There are also lots of interesting things to do in and around Brisbane. The botanic gardens are worth a visit, and its fun taking a boat ride on the Brisbane river.

About an hour's drive north and south of Brisbane are the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast respectively.

Steve.

My votewould be to stay in brisbane and see that area, There is a lot of things to see and do. After a long flight from america , you are going to be drained, especially with hugo. How does he take to all the flying?

You do need a full day on the reef as theboats go out early.

Not to put a dampner on your trip but we had friends over last year who went to the reef for 3 days and didnt get out to see it due to bad weather. They were so disappointed.

The barrier reef is an amazing place and well worthy of spending more time here. What are the chances of you visiting again?

Your itinery(sp) sounds like a lot of flying, you want to enjoy your time here not spend it in a plane.

Sorry that may come across as negative not meant that way. australia is a wonderful counrty i want you to have fun here thats all i mean.

Dh drove on the "wrong" side of the road from Caines to Port Douglas in Sept when we were in Australia for 3 1/2 weeks. We didn't find it difficult at all! Certainly wasn't as curvey as parts of "The Great Ocean Road" from Adelaide to Melbourne. There we chose to drive from west to east so we would be on the inside lane!

Janet

• 3 weeks later...

You probably heard today that Cairns (Great Barrier Reef area) was hit by a cyclone and has a lot of damage.

May not be open for travelers by the time you go.

So sad. What a beautiful area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hugosmum,

Melbourne in May is a lovely time. It will be cooler than Sydney or Brisbane but not really cold. Often I wear pants and a shirt and if I need to be a bit warmer I add a light jacket.

How long will you be here and then I can suggest various things to do. Melbourne is very cultural and there are lots of good art galleries, museums etc plus we have great shopping and excellent restaurants and bistros.

Here is a link to weather all around Australia.

http://www.bom.gov.au/

Jennie

My personal favorite is Fraser Island. It is such a unique place.

Google Search 'Fraser Island' or check out

www.fraserisland.net

Not a day trip from Brisbane unless you fly to Hervey Bay. It's about 3.5 hours drive each way.

In season you can also whale watch at Hervey Bay (July to November). I have done this - a once in a lifetime experience. You get up close and personal with the huge and magnificent Humpback whales.Steve.

The drive around Fraser Island and our Great Ocean Road here in Victoria are one of the 10 best drives in the world - I read this list at the weekend - so if you can spare the time I would definitely go to Fraser Island.

Jennie

Just some advice from me....

Jetstar is well priced but I have flown once, and once only, with them. They are unreliable. However, sometimes there is no other choice. I think Virgin flies there. Virgin are pretty good from what I hear.

Log on to www.qantas.com and look at the bookings, particulalry red e deals. I try and book international from Sydney to Cairns or wherever I'm going. These flights are very rarely cancelled or late, the planes are bigger and you have a better meal and drinks. The price is often the same if you book far enough in advance.

If flying from Melbourne try & have a stop. It's a long way to Cairns.

We always fly direct from Melbourne to Cairns on Qantas. The flight usually leaves around 9.30am and it is only a 3.5 hour flight. Why would you need a stop for a short flight like that!

If it were a 20 hours plus flight that would be a different matter!

Jennie

Archived