How does Cozumel resorts compare to RCCL Cococay? Thinking of just staying on boat?

cdoobiest

Hi everyone, I am on Symphony of The Seas mid Feb 2020 on Western Caribbean.  We are at 4 ports Roatan, Costa Maya, Cozumel and CocoCay.  Group of 15, mixture of adults, tweens and seniors.  We are doing snorkeling Roatan, Ruins and beach tour at Costa Maya and trying to decide on Cozumel.  

We have been to Cozumel once before and did the Dolphin encounter.  To be honest, it was just ok.  I see lots of resorts mostly and I was deciding if I need to spend extra money for Cozumel since it will likely be beach day, pool at Cozumel mostly.  It looks like snorkeling not the best at Cozumel.  Based on what I see at Cococay, it looks like similar beach, pool day.   

Am I missing out by just hanging out at Symphony on a less crowded ship where I can hopefully enjoy less people for water slides, pool or should I spend the $30-60 extra per person for a resort plus transportation.  

The only plus is that I notice there is an aqua park for the kids at Cozumel at Playa Mia, Mr Sanchos and Paradise Beach which is considerably less than RCCL Cococay.  In that case, maybe we can do the resort and aquapark at Cozumel and get away with not paying the crazy price of RCCL aquapark price of $60-90 plus.  For those on similar cruises, is the RCCL Cococay Aquapark much better than the Cozumel ones.  

I also did find out 7 cruiseships in Cozumel that day, so I am sure it will be crowded.  Right now, my plan is to play by ear, if we feel like a resort I saw Paradise Beach is $3 admission charge, with $10 minimum and the kids who want the aquapark can go.  How does that sound?  Do I need advance reservations or would I be ok deciding day of?

Just brainstorming ideas, wondering what everyone in the community thinks!  

Thanks in advance.  

7ships is not unusual for Cozumel.

Paradise Beach is a great option with great faciliteis, a HUGE pool, and good food, drinks and service - love the Taco Truck there! $3 admission and you can pay extra for the teens to wear themselves out on the water toys while you sip one more Margarita! 😎

• Like 1

Agree with John. If playing by ear, Paradise Beach over Playa Mia.

If you are doing the Water Park in CocoCay, that's expensive enough.

I think we're on the same cruise. We're undecided  on Coz too. As we're all beach days in the other ports.

If some want to shop in Coz, it's a 5-10 minute walk to Puerta Maya. Saves taxi fare to downtown  and more shops than the International pier. Plus Pancho's Backyard has great margaritas and is cheaper than sr Frogs or Margaritaville. 

Great advice so far.  Thank you.  Do I have to worry about Paradise Beach filling up.  I saw you can reserve ahead but only for All inclusive option and not the pay as you go option.  Our ship ports at 9:30.  I figure we probably would take our time, have a good breakfast and leave the ship around 11am to 12 pm.  We can be off sooner if other people think Paradise will be full. 

Thanks

7 cruise ships is close to "normal" for Cozumel.  You're traveling in mid February, so there could be an older crowd on many ships, fewer children and college aged cruisers.  The only way to know for sure, is to go there.  Late morning is probably  a good time to head out.  I wouldn't wait until noon.

Cococay has recently been remodeled.  Didn't know it cost extra for the water park. ( My kids are grown).  Do you have any ship OBC (on board credit)?  Can that be applied to the water park on CocoCay?

I know you already did the dolphins but do you think the kids would enjoy a day a Chaanakaab Park?  They can watch the dolphins, sea lions, nice swimming area and see others like the lizards.  

I see the kids are tweens so maybe they would like some action like Paradise Beach. ( I have not been there but it seems to be the majority choice)  Of course, if you did stay on the ship, they would have the pools almost to themselves.

Feb 15-23 is Presidents week.  Lot of schools closed and prices always higher for travel.  We are on the Equinox Feb 22, 2020.