Uniworld 2020 price reductions

Farang

Received a promotional email from Uniworld today touting 30% reduction on a significant number of 2020 sailings.  Pretty appealing!  What about those that took the 10% discount for paying 100% in advance for what may possibly be the same sailings?

Hi, I took advantage of the 10% if paid in full so I was concerned when I saw this new promotion.  I did the math and I'm paying about the same amount with both promotions.   It says up to 30% so my sailing date,  which is in September, probably doesn't have as great a discount as other dates.  Still, happy for those who can take advantage of this.

11 hours ago, Farang said:

Received a promotional email from Uniworld today touting 30% reduction on a significant number of 2020 sailings.  Pretty appealing!  What about those that took the 10% discount for paying 100% in advance for what may possibly be the same sailings?

I received the same email.  Haven't sat down and really studied it.  I'm not booked on Uniworld for next year.  Prices were too high.

13 hours ago, skinnylegs said:

Hi, I took advantage of the 10% if paid in full so I was concerned when I saw this new promotion.  I did the math and I'm paying about the same amount with both promotions.   It says up to 30% so my sailing date,  which is in September, probably doesn't have as great a discount as other dates.  Still, happy for those who can take advantage of this.

Hi Skinny,  perhaps you are missing my point because you were fortunate to not feel the sting of this price adjustment, given your sailing dates.  Look at the "Enchanting Danube" cruise as an example.  This itinerary has 33 sailings in 2020, 17 of which are offered at a 30% reduction (10% for suites) - this represents more than 50% of the non-suite capacity for the entire season.  So, anyone who has already booked this cruise for the 50%(+) discounted part of the season and paid Uniworld in full by October 31, just paid 20% more than the passengers that will book the same cruise between November 5, and January 3, 2020 (no payment in full required).

10 hours ago, Farang said:

Hi Skinny,  perhaps you are missing my point because you were fortunate to not feel the sting of this price adjustment, given your sailing dates.  Look at the "Enchanting Danube" cruise as an example.  This itinerary has 33 sailings in 2020, 17 of which are offered at a 30% reduction (10% for suites) - this represents more than 50% of the non-suite capacity for the entire season.  So, anyone who has already booked this cruise for the 50%(+) discounted part of the season and paid Uniworld in full by October 31, just paid 20% more than the passengers that will book the same cruise between November 5, and January 3, 2020 (no payment in full required).

This is usual and customary for Uniworld, and it's why I usually wait to book until this time of year. It's not exclusive too Uniworld.

When I first started following River Cruising, it was usual for cruises to sell out quickly.  You had to jump when they first came on line to get a choice of cabins, or even to get a choice of cabin categories.  But in the last few years the combination of so many more river ships and some well publicized weather issues and accidents has shifted the supply/demand equation to the buyers' favor.  Now it's often better to wait and get a big discount [plus free or fixed-price air – since waiting to book can leave you with high airline prices].  But of course, if your travel window is limited (or if you get agita when you don't have your plans set long in advance -- like me), you will still want to book early and know you are set.

2 hours ago, itsawonderfullife said:

Jazzbeau,

How early is early?  New to this.  Looking for a Danube cruise for next fall.

If you have some flexibility for dates, and aren't set on the company or cabin category, you can wait a bit (IMHO).  I would suggest you start looking at what you want - and figure out what the current prices are (and what it includes...) - then watch for a sale.  Also - start looking at the costs of flights - as this may affect your final cost (ie: some are offering discounted or free air - which may or may not be a benefit depending on the initial cruise cost). 

Not sure where you are located - different countries have different specials.  I do know that Avalon has some fly free offers for next year on the Canadian website.  fFy free does help - as most flights to Europe are over $1000 pp.

Fran