Paradise Point Skyride

missliad

Has anyone been on this tram? It looks great to do, but I already have Godfrey Tours booked and was wondering if this was worth doing if we will already be doing a tour of the island. Also, it looks like an adult day pass costs $18 for adults - what does a day pass get you?

Thanks for the help.

I have not been there yet But I have heard from others and Reading about it, And you basically get an incredible view of all the cruise ships and if your lucky you might catch 1 of 3 bird shows.

By the way it looks, I will be in St. Thomas a day before you.

Try this site for more info. have fun

http://www.paradisepointtramway.com/rates.html

We go every year - it is a lovely spot with some shops, a fun little bird show and a nice little bar with a great drink called a Bushwhacker. The view of the harbour is awesome. We have a watercolor with the exact view from our table so we can look at "paradise" every day. You can go for a few hours or less so you will ahve time for excursions.

It wasn't the highlight of our day, but if you've got just the one day, it's a really lovely overview of the harbor, Water Island, etc. We walked around, took a little hike, had a beverage (non-alcohol as we were going snorkeling later, so I can't weigh in on the Bushwackers), took some pix, and went back down. I think it is worth it if you want a bird's eye view. Oh, also there were some lovely butterfly gardens; huge butterflies in amazing colors just flitting around.

BTW, if it's very hot, try not to be in the center of the tram. I was and got so overheated that I nearly passed out at the top. We went first thing in the morning (it was the first of May), so I don't know what temps are at other times. I do have auto-immune disease issues with temps, but this was over the top. There were several people sitting, sweating, and looking faint once off the tram. BRING WATER, wear a hat, and take in a beautiful view.

JMHO as always.

beachchick

I believe the other way is walking. I know there is another point on the island, not the same place, where many tours stop for viewing. (Sorry, I don't remember what it's called.)

beachchick

?Mountain Top. Does anyone know if this has just as good a view

We took the cable car up to Paradise Point back in September, and it was well worth it. You get a great view of the ships and also of that side of the island. When you get up there, there are some little shops, a lovely bar which had lovely food, and there are some exotic birds! It was well woth it just for the view alone.

We did the tram a few years ago on our first cruise. The view is beautiful, but there's not much of anything else up there. A few shops and a quaint little bar. At that time it was only $10 pp, now I hear it's close to $20....

I live here, and have taken the tram several times. To get maximum benefit from the $18 per person fee, this is what I'd recommend:

1. Go first thing in the morning before it gets too hot. It opens at 9 a.m., and there's a nature trail up there. It's one of the few opportunities to be in a natural setting if you're in town for the day.

2. I think there's a bird show scheduled at 10:30. Take in the bird show after you've hiked the trail.

3. If your ship is in town late (past 6), take the tram again at about 5:30 so you can see the sunset view (may only be available on Wed after 5 p.m.). NOTHING beats that sunset view!!

4. If your ship leaves at 6, if you go at 4, I think you can hike, see the last bird show, and maybe catch the sunset. Try to do all three if you can.

Archived