"Hamilton" extended in San Francisco

Turtles06

For those who may be visiting San Francisco next year before and/or after a cruise, I just wanted to let you know that the production of "Hamilton" at the Orpheum Theatre has just been extended through May 31, 2020.  If you are interested, the link to purchase tickets is below.  My wife and I have seen "Hamilton" in three other cities (it is truly a phenomenal show), and the ticket prices in San Francisco are modest by comparison to what we paid in those cities.  We'll be in San Francisco in late January after a Panama Canal cruise, and we are absolutely delighted to be able to see this great show again after our cruise.  

https://hamilton.broadwaysf.com/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=hamilton-3&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=#feature-box

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We are in SF now, and saw “Hamilton” the other night at the Orpheum Theatre.  The production here is an excellent one, and we loved seeing this remarkable show again.  I would definitely encourage anyone who will be visiting SF before the end of May to see “Hamilton” here. 

Interesting how there are different opinions on things such as food taste, cars, shows, etc. We went to see Hamilton in Seattle and I left at intermission.  Did not like the production at all.  Was a waste of my money.Walked down the street to Ruth Chris's and had a few drinks while waiting for the rest of the group to join me.😀

Interesting you mentioned Hamilton.  I literally just found out today Hamilton will be playing in Miami soon for a couple of months, starting in Feb.  I am debating if I want to see Hamilton while in Miami.  

However I think if you have a chance to see it NYC or somewhere with a strong local theatre scene you shouldn't see the show on a tour.  Resident shows are better.  

3 hours ago, molole said:

Interesting you mentioned Hamilton.  I literally just found out today Hamilton will be playing in Miami soon for a couple of months, starting in Feb.  I am debating if I want to see Hamilton while in Miami.  

However I think if you have a chance to see it NYC or somewhere with a strong local theatre scene you shouldn't see the show on a tour.  Resident shows are better.  

Several comments.  First, the production in SF is a resident production.  (And while it’s an excellent production, and we enjoyed it, it has the weakest George Washington we’ve ever seen.)

The Hamilton touring company that will be in Miami is the Angelica Tour.  We’ve seen this company in two other places in the U.S., and they are fantastic (especially Edred Utomi and Josh Tower who play Hamilton and Burr, respectively).   Better than the resident company of Hamilton that we saw in Chicago on a Sunday.  (The Miami tix went on sale some time ago.  Good luck!)

I agree with you that seeing a Broadway show on Broadway is a wonderful experience, but not everyone can get to NY, for example — or can afford tix there.   Hamilton is such a phenomenal show that it is worth seeing wherever you can see it, imho.  And, it’s not like the touring companies are using amateurs or performing in a shoebox. Same set, same double revolves.  Same high standards (acting and otherwise).  Also, no reason to limit yourself to seeing it once.  😊

Edited by Turtles06

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Several comments.  First, the production in SF is a resident production.  (And while it’s an excellent production, and we enjoyed it, it has the weakest George Washington we’ve ever seen.)

The Hamilton touring company that will be in Miami is the Angelica Tour.  We’ve seen this company in two other places in the U.S., and they are fantastic (especially Edred Utomi and Josh Tower who play Hamilton and Burr, respectively).   Better than the resident company of Hamilton that we saw in Chicago on a Sunday.  (The Miami tix went on sale some time ago.  Good luck!)

I agree with you that seeing a Broadway show on Broadway is a wonderful experience, but not everyone can get to NY, for example — or can afford tix there.   Hamilton is such a phenomenal show that it is worth seeing wherever you can see it, imho.  And, it’s not like the touring companies are using amateurs or performing in a shoebox. Same set, same double revolves.  Same high standards (acting and otherwise).  Also, no reason to limit yourself to seeing it once.  😊

Thanks for the info.  You may have just convinced me to splurge.  😅  I may go for Tier 3 or 4 tickets that are going for around $160.  Hubby enjoys vocals more than visuals and I was told vocals are just as good further back as upfront.  I am the opposite but Tier 1 tickets are over $400.  meh

We missed the Phantom of the Opera a couple of years ago when they were in Miami but for that one I really do want to see it properly on Broadway.  

Edited by molole

13 minutes ago, molole said:

Thanks for the info.  You may have just convinced me to splurge.  😅  I may go for Tier 3 or 4 tickets that are going for around $160.  Hubby enjoys vocals more than visuals and I was told vocals are just as good further back as upfront.  I am the opposite but Tier 1 tickets are over $400.  meh

We missed the Phantom of the Opera a couple of years ago when they were in Miami but for that one I really do want to see it properly on Broadway.  

Hamilton is a huge visual, too. 

As for Phantom on Broadway, it’s been there nearly 35 years. (I don’t think of Miami as a cultural backwater.) 

Hamilton in SF currently slashed prices. The Orpheum is huge and they are not selling out anymore. I expect it to extend one more time to cover the summer period (BroadwaySF who owns the Orpheum doesn't have anything else lined up in that theatre so far, and all the other touring shows that they put on are at the smaller Golden Gate theatre). 

I recommend seeing this show, it's a great production. The cast recently changed a bit, but the majority of people that are still there have been fantastic. 

2 hours ago, b0nz0 said:

Hamilton in SF currently slashed prices. The Orpheum is huge and they are not selling out anymore. I expect it to extend one more time to cover the summer period (BroadwaySF who owns the Orpheum doesn't have anything else lined up in that theatre so far, and all the other touring shows that they put on are at the smaller Golden Gate theatre). 

I recommend seeing this show, it's a great production. The cast recently changed a bit, but the majority of people that are still there have been fantastic. 

Really slashed.  As I mentioned in my first post, the ticket prices for Hamilton in SF are truly modest when compared with prices for this show elsewhere.   (Under $200 for a front orchestra seat, for example.  You'll be well up in a balcony for that price in other cities.)

With the exception of the actors playing Washington and Eliza, I thought the cast we saw last week was fantastic.  In fact, Burr was played by the standby, and he was awesome.  

Under $200 for front orchestra does sound fantastic.  I have a friend who volunteers for Arsht and she could get me tickets on opening night as close as row Q for $219.  Not really a sale, just tickets that they know are available but for some reason not shown on website.  

I think I will pass this time.  Just not too sure given the price.  Who knows maybe Miami prices will go down too.  

Edited by molole

5 hours ago, molole said:

Under $200 for front orchestra does sound fantastic.  I have a friend who volunteers for Arsht and she could get me tickets on opening night as close as row Q for $219.  Not really a sale, just tickets that they know are available but for some reason not shown on website.  

I think I will pass this time.  Just not too sure given the price.  Who knows maybe Miami prices will go down too.  

In terms of prices in Miami doing down --  Miami is a short (four-week) run of one of the two North American touring companies.  There is high demand for tickets when this is the case.   The touring companies regularly sell out in the markets in which they have played. The reason prices have gone down in SF is that Hamilton was performed there for a good chunk of 2017, and has been back now as a sit-down (open-ended) production since last February (2019); as @b0nz0 noted above, the demand there is not as great as it once was.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2020 at 6:29 AM, Turtles06 said:

Hamilton didn't have a show in Chicago on Sunday, January 26th. The final show was on Sunday, June 5th. I only saw it in Chicago last November but I thought that Miguel Cervantes did a great job as Hamilton. Some of my colleagues saw it at different times. One of them more than once including the penultimate show. They thought the same.

On 1/30/2020 at 7:29 AM, Turtles06 said:

29 minutes ago, Viajera7 said:

Hamilton didn't have a show in Chicago on Sunday, January 26th. The final show was on Sunday, June 5th. I only saw it in Chicago last November but I thought that Miguel Cervantes did a great job as Hamilton. Some of my colleagues saw it at different times. One of them more than once including the penultimate show. They thought the same.

You’ve totally misread my January 30 post. I never said I saw Hamilton in Chicago “on Sunday,” as in the Sunday prior to my post (January 26).  I said I saw it “on a Sunday.”  That happened to be months ago. And Cervantes didn’t play the Sunday matinee, unfortunately for us.  (We were visiting, and that was the only time we could go.). I’m sure it was tons better with him performing. But the production we saw that day was weak.