Alexa in cabin

Mslmesq

3 hours ago, Renmar said:

My DW just told me not to take my girlfriend Alexa with me, 3 persons in de room is too much and she hates Alexa's voice 🤔.

Theo

Just what have you and your "girlfriend" been up to?  Inquiring minds and all that ... 👍

Am bringing Amazon Fire tablet on this next trip, plan to use that as my primary connected unit on unlimited plan.

Alexa is currently always available on this tablet whenever/wherever it has a wifi connection.

Not that access to Alexa is needed or honestly desired during the trip, but just anticipating she will be coming along.

Will re post during/after this trip and share what actually happens.

• 2 years later...

I was searching for an answer on my last cruise and didn't really find one, so i tried something out that worked.  So, here is a little bit of a workaround, but it's not that great. I used my Amazon Echo Auto and I used it on my last cruise and it worked pretty well.  The Echo Auto is $50 and it lets you use Alexa in your car through your phone, without having your Alexa app open.  That's literally the only reason to ever get it is so you don't have to open the Alexa app on your phone to use Alexa.  The Echo Auto bypasses that and connects to the phone automatically.  I got it free since they sent it to me as a tester, and it's nothing special but it does what it says.  If I didn't get it for free I probably wouldn't have purchased it. Anyway, on the ship this is how it worked.  I plugged the Echo Auto power cord into a normal usb charger.  Then, I connected the audio out to a portable speaker with an audio cord I brought and I always kept on and plugged in.  Now, that's already more than most people are willing to bring, but I have to sleep with music so I have my portable speaker with me regardless if I am doing this workaround or not.  I kept that speaker always on, and I also had the internet package with my phone connected.  With my phone connected to the internet, and the Echo Auto connected to my portable speaker I could use it just like at home.  I didn't have to open the app, and I didn't have to connect to my bluetooth speaker.  Yes, it only saved about 5 seconds a day by not having to open the app but it did end up working just like home, except for when the internet was crapping out.    

On 12/4/2019 at 7:33 PM, Renmar said:

My DW just told me not to take my girlfriend Alexa with me, 3 persons in de room is too much and she hates Alexa's voice 🤔.

Theo

Theo... You can change the voice and make it male. 🙂  These days you have a choice of "wake up word" as well. It can be "Alexa", "Echo", "Computer", or "Ziggy". Of course I wouldn't recommend messing around with what Anke has to say... We know who the boss is (and should be!). Give her a hug from you and a big hello from us! Hope you two are doing well. (We hope to drop by for a daytime visit in May when we return from our cruise.)

Yes, I realize this is a very old thread. A chance to talk with Theo and Anke is too good to pass up. (If you don't know these folks it's your loss. 🥰)

Edited by Thrak

I have an old Echo Tap (the portable, battery powered speaker that I'm not sure they sell anymore) that I always take on trips.  I connect it via Bluetooth to my iPhone and the phone to WiFi and then listen to SiriusXM (or any other radio streams). I used this on my January cruise on Enchanted with no issues.  While I can't do the usual Alexa stuff I do at home, my workaround is good for listening to music or podcasts in the cabin.  Any Bluetooth speaker would work as well, I just happen to have this portable Echo.