Tipping question

trvlwrld

We always tip extra also to our favorites but to those who claim that cash tips are "pooled" are a little off base. I have asked several people who we have left cash tips with about this (waiters, bar tenders, room stewards) and each of them almost laughed at the question. I am 100% sure that if you give a cash tip to someone, it stays with that person. They surely aren't dropping it in some community pooling pot to divvy up.

I also think there are many self-righteous people on these boards that should just focus on themselves and their tipping practices and not worry or preach what anyone else should do. We always leave the auto tips and tip extra but would never tell anyone else what to do. If someone else wants to remove them, then that is up to them. People cant go around policing other peoples personal decisions. Its really not your concern or business. We have met many European friends on cruises that flat out don't believe in tipping. Tipping isnt part of their culture or practice. It may not be ours, but who are we to judge what they do. All we can control is ourselves and can try to help others see the merit in the way we do things, but at the end of the day, its out of your control.

Edited by XuGator
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, XuGator said:

We always tip extra also to our favorites but to those who claim that cash tips are "pooled" are a little off base. I have asked several people who we have left cash tips with about this (waiters, bar tenders, room stewards) and each of them almost laughed at the question. I am 100% sure that if you give a cash tip to someone, it stays with that person. They surely aren't dropping it in some community pooling pot to divvy up.

I also think there are many self-righteous people on these boards that should just focus on themselves and their tipping practices and not worry or preach what anyone else should do. We always leave the auto tips and tip extra but would never tell anyone else what to do. If someone else wants to remove them, then that is up to them. People cant go around policing other peoples personal decisions. Its really not your concern or business. We have met many European friends on cruises that flat out don't believe in tipping. Tipping isnt part of their culture or practice. It may not be ours, but who are we to judge what they do. All we can control is ourselves and can try to help others see the merit in the way we do things, but at the end of the day, its out of your control.

How come Americans are always advised to observe the traditions and customs of the countries to which they are traveling but you think Europeans should get a pass on following the traditions and customs on cruise ships?  Whether or not you like the system (which is a whole different issue), the fact of the matter is that is how those who toil on cruise ships are paid.

• Like 4

The new to Celebrity OP has rec'd the info requested. And now that this tipping thread has gone off the rails with numerous posts having to be removed, this thread is closed.

Happy sails to all,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo
  • Like 2