Tipping Myths/Facts

noblepa

On 12/12/2019 at 4:08 PM, Boatdrill said:

HAL uses the HSC to pay their crew.   They're not really  TIPs (meaning "to insure personal service") as we think of tipping, but a percentage of the payroll.  

I don’t know if this is True or not as I do not know the base salary of those on board HAL.  However is that any different than a waiter on land. In the US server minimum wage is much lower and it is expected that the tips will make up the difference. 

11 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

I don't understand this tipping thing.  We were told in Australia, they didn't tip, but HAL still added it to the bill.  But they call it a "Hotel Service Charge."

Aussies only tip ,in general, for exceptional service unlike in some other countries whose residents always tip unless the service is poor. HAL does not change its charging/tipping policy for Australian based cruises, nor does it change what it is called - tipping = hotel service charge =  gratuity. Some lines, eg Celebrity, include the HSC charge in the base price for Aussie based cruises to reflect the Australian culture of not tipping for expected service and avoid a procession of cruisers at the front desk removing the HSC.

I would think if HAL would see a prevalence of people in one locale removing the tip they should change their pricing formula for those locations.   As a business person that is what I would do.  HSC has always been part of the crew's pay package, for good or for bad, that is what it is.  

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I am pretty sure I know the answer but are people who's fare had free gratuities included with those who have not removed the gratuities?  

Yes.   Passengers with free or included gratuities are included with those who paid the HSC.  They can tip additional cash without the issue of having the staff having to surrendered the tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seachef318 said:

I don’t know if this is True or not as I do not know the base salary of those on board HAL.  However is that any different than a waiter on land. In the US server minimum wage is much lower and it is expected that the tips will make up the difference. 

Yes, and i punish the waiter or waitress for slow or slovenly behavior by withholding or reducing the tip amount in the USA.