Best time to take helicopter to glacier?

RebeccatheGeek

Our plan is to do a dog sledding excursion on a glacier via helicopter, either in Juneau or Skagway. What is the best time to do one of these excursions? 

I know that the weather can delay or cancel the flights. Would it be best to take the first time available in the morning in the hope that things are just delayed by an hour or two? Or is it best to do it in the middle of the day? 

The weather can be tremendously variable. One day it might be great in the morning, the next day great in the afternoon, the next day unflyable all day. There is no way to predict. 

We have flown early and later morning. Both times it was tight, weatherwise, but we got the flights in.

We did the helicopter to Meade (Skagway) in late May (or early June) and went around 1 p.m. It was beautiful, but the tour guide did tell us that you just never know what you're going to get. I wrote a blog post about our particular tour, so if you'd like to read it, you can google Ty The Hunter Temsco Helicopter Tour. I originally scheduled the tour for the morning with the same thought, that if it got delayed, at least we'd still be able to get it in. RC double booked our excursions though, so we had to change the helicopter tour to the afternoon since it was all that was left. We ended up doing White Pass in the morning, then Temsco in the afternoon, but it worked out fine. I almost think I'd try for early so at least you're not feeling as stressed if weather delays your flight. Also, depending on where you go first, you might book a tour there and then, if it doesn't work out, see if you can book a similar tour in a later port? The only trouble there is it booking up. It was beautiful, so I hope it works out for you!