Best Falkland Islands tour

NMTraveller

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I was looking for a good Falklands Islands tour.  I would guess that most are penguin tours?  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Patrick Watts trip to Volunteer Point.  By far one of the best experiences we've had!  Just did it this past Dec 31 - great time!

You can contact him at :   Patrick J Watts <pwatts@horizon.co.fk>

I used Estancia Excursions to go to Volunteer Point. The communication was great, the driver wonderful (he had been in the British Navy during the Falklands War and gave us an enormous amount of information) and the tour was fantastic. The best tour I have ever done!

http://estancia-excursions.com/

IMG20180306110800.thumb.jpg.0283c15a61dadf2cd9b06f861e5c7373.jpg

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Thanks.  Do they let you get that close?  Or are you zoomed in?  What lense are you using?

That is a great picture.

Yes indeed.  No zoom. Just iPhone 10R.

they have a circle of white rocks that define the rookery where 95% of the King’s are roosting.  However quite a few were just standing or wandering around where we humans were standing and walking.  We had to be careful to not disturb them.  They seemed to ignore us!

22 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Patrick Watts trip to Volunteer Point.  By far one of the best experiences we've had!  Just did it this past Dec 31 - great time!

You can contact him at :   Patrick J Watts <pwatts@horizon.co.fk>

Did you have any trouble getting on the first tender off the ship?

15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Thanks.  Do they let you get that close?  Or are you zoomed in?  What lense are you using?

That is a great picture.

Thanks! 😊

I took that photo with my phone without any zoom. I also had my Panasonic Lumix camera with a 60 zoom. I took this photo with that camera using some zoom. 

P1000821.thumb.JPG.011af1343ba48ae4cef6e3543be0bce2.JPG

The majority of the penguins are in a circle marked by white rocks which you can not go into but there are also penguins wandering around amongst the tourists and can come very close to you. You are not allowed to disturb the penguins as they walk about and you are have to stay a couple of metres away from them. There are wardens in flourescent vests to keep an eye on the tourists so the penguins are not disturbed by them. As I was taking a photo one of the wardens called out to me to not move. As I stood very still a group of penguins walked from behind me and walked so close to me that I could have reached out and touched them as they passed. Amazing!!! As well as the King penguins there were Magellanic and Gentoo penguins in different areas and on the beach they all mingled. 

IMG20180306110444.thumb.jpg.7f97c7164e68f16b653f755084d97518.jpg

I did not have any trouble getting on the first tender but did have to queue for my tender ticket for 45 minutes before we were due to moor to make sure I was on the first tender. There were many passengers wanting to be on the first tender for their Volunteer Point tours.