pre-cruise activites in Anchorage and Seward

boomie

Hi Everyone,

First time going to Alaska. We're flying into Anchorage 3 days ahead of the cruise and I'm completely lost with what to do. I feel like I've been spinning my wheels. 

Does anyone have an itinerary they can share with me? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money doing excursions. Are the parks free to get into? 

We enjoyed a day at the Anchorage zoo.  There is an admission fee but they provide a free shuttle from down town Anchorage. There is also a museum in Anchorage, we've never been to it. The Native Heritage Center is another option but it is out of town. We were on a cruise tour so did not have to worry about transportation.

In Seward we enjoyed the Sea Aquarium, a boat trip up the Kenai Peninsula (several tour companies offer different length of tours), and a Wilderness Sled Dog tour and Exit Glacier (Seavey's Ididaride).  There is a free bus that goes through the town and the tour operator for the dog kennel picks up in town.

There is also a coach from Anchorage to Seward that stops at a wild life center, if I remember correctly.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

You might want to get on travel site that lists tours from Anchorage and Seward and it will help you narrow it down.

Besides what's listed above, rent car and drive to Turnagain Arm.  Go to wildlife conservation center, portage glacier, spencer glacier.  Best bet is to google tours from Anchorage and look at trip reports from others.

Pricey but a great experience is a fly in to Katmai to see the bears.  

Are you comfortable renting a car for any of that time? Also when you say you have 3 days, does that mean you arrive say Wed night and the ship leaves Sat? What are your interests and physical ability?

In lieu of that additional info, I suggest reading the trip reports posted near the top of the page. The first line usually indicates whether the traveler had DIY land travel pre/post cruise.

We stayed in Anchorage once for a few pre-cruise days before a June cruise (from Seward on a HAL ship) in 2004.  Enjoyed the museum mentioned above.  It's very flat there so walking around is quite easy.  We enjoyed the park(s) along the waterfront.  The most thrilling part was flying into Anchorage--we were on eye-level with Mt. McKinley/Denali in the distance (looking at a map, we must have approached the airport from the west). Had to do a connecting flight from Detroit and I can't remember where the connection was, but probably MPLS.