FlowRider Lessons

3 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

Anyone have experience with this?  Where can we book it? What is the difference between the private and the group session?  How much time do you actually get on the water? DId you find it was worth the price? 

Thank you for any input

I think now you can book them before your cruise within a certain window, or as soon as you board when you get to your cruise if you missed the window.

I did the flow rider on 2 different cruises, but how they do it has changed since then.

The first time I did it was on Quantum & there were two attendants. They only allowed two riders at a time. You got a set time period of about ten minutes actually trying to ride for no charge. One of the attendants helped each person with instructions. All I did was ride sort of on my knees on my board.

Later the same cruise they had a bunch of time no one had booked due to it being a little bit cool and windy so the captain announced anyone could book another session at no charge. I showed up for my booked ten minutes and ended up there were two people who were very good at it and me enjoying it as much as we wanted for about 45 minutes. I eventually managed to stand up on the board during this time. There was only one attendant this time. She knew the other two people because on that cruise you could pay for a special instructional session which they had done earlier in the cruise. She was very nice and helped me a lot.

The next cruise I was on where they had a flow rider they were still booking everyone for one short visit for no extra charge and selling the lessons but I think this time there were private lessons and group lessons. I just did my no extra charge short booking. I managed to stand up then had an epic wipe out. They offered to let me try again, but I figured as I was completely uninjured despite flying up in the air and getting swept back that had probably used up all my luck for that cruise. Went to celebrate by drinking in the pool and laughing at the video my husband shot of it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

Thank you for any input

Why do you think you want lessons? If you are a first timer, try it during a regular session to see if it's for you at all - no need to pay to find out it's not something you like.

My son did a group lesson in 2017 when he was 10.   He had done a bunch of bogie boarding in the regular free line and a little stand up but really wanted to get more comfortable with stand up.   

The group session was for an hour and there were 4 girls and him.     They did a good job of rotating everyone thru a few turns.   They didnt change riders after each wipe out.   He did both stand up and boogie boarding in his time - he got some basic stand up skills and learned some advanced boogie skills.   I think the price was about $60.

He is 13 now.   We have an indoor surfing place near us at home (different wave than a flow rider but I’m sure a small amount of the balance skills will translate).   He has gone 3 times in the last few months for 15 min stand up sessions and really enjoys it.  He’s purchased a few more sessions already.    We will be on Navigator in April and he is debating the group lesson again - he really enjoys getting to ‘try again’ after a wipe out.    

The private lessons are much more expensive but you have the entire wave to yourself the entire time.   If we were traveling with a few families with interest - this might be fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Why do you think you want lessons? If you are a first timer, try it during a regular session to see if it's for you at all - no need to pay to find out it's not something you like.

this is for my daughter who loves it but feels like she doesn't get enough time and wants to become more competent

25 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

My son did a group lesson in 2017 when he was 10.   He had done a bunch of bogie boarding in the regular free line and a little stand up but really wanted to get more comfortable with stand up.   

The group session was for an hour and there were 4 girls and him.     They did a good job of rotating everyone thru a few turns.   They didnt change riders after each wipe out.   He did both stand up and boogie boarding in his time - he got some basic stand up skills and learned some advanced boogie skills.   I think the price was about $60.

He is 13 now.   We have an indoor surfing place near us at home (different wave than a flow rider but I’m sure a small amount of the balance skills will translate).   He has gone 3 times in the last few months for 15 min stand up sessions and really enjoys it.  He’s purchased a few more sessions already.    We will be on Navigator in April and he is debating the group lesson again - he really enjoys getting to ‘try again’ after a wipe out.    

The private lessons are much more expensive but you have the entire wave to yourself the entire time.   If we were traveling with a few families with interest - this might be fun.

thank you - this is so helpful.  We are traveling with two other families - can't find it on the cruise planner yet

3 minutes ago, DesireeC03 said:

this is for my daughter who loves it but feels like she doesn't get enough time and wants to become more competent

A group session might help but some riding during off peak times can also work. 

• Like 1