Yokahama Port QE departure wharf???

bazzaw

I cant find anywhere  in the Cunard info as to EXACTLY where QE sails from in Yokahama port - apparently there are a number of piers. It would be nice to know where we are leaving from !! I know that we should never assume anything - but I assumed it would be from the new fancy terminal at Osanbachi --- but maybe not????   Any ideas please? 

Edited by bazzaw

Hello bazzaw.  Last May 2019, when we departed Tokyo on QE for the transpacific across to Alaska, we departed from the Daikoku cruise terminal in Yokohama.  Below is a map I created for the taxi driver at Yokohama train station, just in case, but the driver knew the way to the ship.

QE does not normally dock at Ohsanbashi.  I understand there can be issues with fitting under the Yokohama bay bridge.  Yokohama was also building a brand new ship terminal at Shinko, but that wasn't open yet last May.  I'm not sure whether it is opening this year.

image.thumb.png.e678cd332dd732c7ab05e9a59b4e048f.png

Hi. I've recently paid the balance for a QE Circumnavigation of Japan cruise departing 20th April and my invoice shows departure and return to Daikoku Pier, Yokohama.

This is what I was expecting as the cruises last year to Yokohama used this terminal.

Cunard had shuttles from close to Osanbachi terminal to the Daikoku terminal on embarkation days. I haven't had or found any information regarding this for my cruise but I will be checking and I'll post here if this is confirmed.

On 1/18/2020 at 5:24 PM, gwiblong said:

Hi. I've recently paid the balance for a QE Circumnavigation of Japan cruise departing 20th April and my invoice shows departure and return to Daikoku Pier, Yokohama.

This is what I was expecting as the cruises last year to Yokohama used this terminal.

Cunard had shuttles from close to Osanbachi terminal to the Daikoku terminal on embarkation days. I haven't had or found any information regarding this for my cruise but I will be checking and I'll post here if this is confirmed.

Thank you- would appreciate seeing whatever you come up with - our cruise is 05 May 

On our May 2019 QE embarkation, I was told that the Cunard shuttle from Daikoku to Osanbashi was for in-transit passengers going ashore for the day, and was not for embarking or disembarking passengers.  We took a JR train from Tokyo Shinjuku to Yokohama station, and a taxi from there to Daikoku pier.  Osanbashi pier has an advantage of having the nearby Nihon-Odori train station, but there is only bus public transit to Daikoku.

8 hours ago, sfred said:

On our May 2019 QE embarkation, I was told that the Cunard shuttle from Daikoku to Osanbashi was for in-transit passengers going ashore for the day, and was not for embarking or disembarking passengers.  We took a JR train from Tokyo Shinjuku to Yokohama station, and a taxi from there to Daikoku pier.  Osanbashi pier has an advantage of having the nearby Nihon-Odori train station, but there is only bus public transit to Daikoku.

We're heading there in April - appreciate the transfer tips. 

Cunard for us means an extra suitcase.  Did you have trouble navigating Shinjuku and/or or the train with your luggage?

Hi alc13.  No, no troubles at all.  The stations and trains are well marked in both Japanese and English.  Occasionally you  encounter stairs which can hinder heavy wheeled luggage, but there is (almost) always a ramp or an elevator somewhere nearby.  The only exception was Yokohama station from the train platform down to the concourse, where we could only find stairs despite a thorough search.  At least it was downhill.  The train from Shinjuku to Yokohama is a regular JR commuter train, so it can be crowded.  But they depart very frequently so if don't think all your bags will fit on the first train, another will be along in a few minutes.  Carriages at the front or back of the train are often less crowded than ones in the middle.

An absolutely fantastic Japanese website called HyperDia searches for any sort of Tokyo area train connection and shows departure and arrival times, ticket types and fare amounts, and platform numbers.  It has English, Japanese, and Chinese language options.

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Best wishes for a great trip in April!

Sfred, this is immensely helpful!  I hadn't come across hyperdia, we'll get that immediately. 

A few years ago I got lost in Shinzuku station; I foolishly hadn't prepared for the alternate universe that is the Tokyo public transit system.   This time we will be armed (with hyperdia) and ready.

Arigato gozaimasu 🙂

Do Itashimashite  😀

Shinjuku can be a maze, can't it?  I've been through there hundreds of times, and can still get momentarily confused until I see a familiar sight.  Have a great trip - I'm jealous!

23 hours ago, sfred said:

Hi alc13.  No, no troubles at all.  The stations and trains are well marked in both Japanese and English.  Occasionally you  encounter stairs which can hinder heavy wheeled luggage, but there is (almost) always a ramp or an elevator somewhere nearby.  The only exception was Yokohama station from the train platform down to the concourse, where we could only find stairs despite a thorough search.  At least it was downhill.  The train from Shinjuku to Yokohama is a regular JR commuter train, so it can be crowded.  But they depart very frequently so if don't think all your bags will fit on the first train, another will be along in a few minutes.  Carriages at the front or back of the train are often less crowded than ones in the middle.

An absolutely fantastic Japanese website called HyperDia searches for any sort of Tokyo area train connection and shows departure and arrival times, ticket types and fare amounts, and platform numbers.  It has English, Japanese, and Chinese language options.

http://www.hyperdia.com/

Best wishes for a great trip in April!

I think there are elevators on the north side of the concourse for each of the platforms.

I was at a conference there in 2016, so a little hazy on finer details.

You might be right, docker123.  We thought that a major station like Yokohama would have to have alternatives to stairs down to the concourse.  We searched from one end of the platform to the other, without success.  Perhaps it was just the platform we happened to arrive at, or perhaps we missed seeing a lift or escalator amidst the other passengers.  It wasn't a problem, we were able to carry our bags in two trips down the stairs.