UAE TRIPS

garrob

Hello folks,

We are sailing on the MSC Bellissima on the 15th February from Dubai. I have been looking for some trips to do from the ports we arrive at, but I am struggling to find anything. They all seem quite expensive.

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers.

Also, I have been reading a lot of negative reviews of the ship, is it really that bad?

We sailed on the Seaside from Miami in October 2019 and really enjoyed it.

Any tips/hints would be grateful.

9 hours ago, garrob said:

Hello folks,

We are sailing on the MSC Bellissima on the 15th February from Dubai. I have been looking for some trips to do from the ports we arrive at, but I am struggling to find anything. They all seem quite expensive.

Also, I have been reading a lot of negative reviews of the ship, is it really that bad?

I see you haven't a lot of posts, so perhaps you aren't aware there is a Ports forum.  One for Africa & the Middle East. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/19-africa-amp-middle-east/

There is a member, Skoobdo who had been doing a few MSC sailings these past weeks and she has been on the Bellisima recently. As a solo non tour passenger, she may not have quite what you are looking for but read some of the details for your ports and if you post again there, she may have some insights.

Recent post on the Port forum mentioned above for Sir Bani Ya Island.

Burj Khalifa is pretty much a 'must', but know that you can also get reduced tickets through 'GroupOn'.  Check there for other discounts.  

With 4 including teens, I would be looking at non cruise bookings.  You can most likely get private tours for less than ship tours; but they still seem expensive when you have to consider the family plan.

Recently, Bahrain was removed from a similar itinerary with an extra day in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi.  Not sure how your itinerary will stand. 

For Abu Dhabi, a taxi to Ferrari World, or the Mosque, or whatever interests you would most likely be more cost effective than a tour. All the cities have tourism websites, so checking there will define what is available now. Dubai is building like crazy because they are hosting the World Expo in November, so plenty that is new. Taxi or metro or combo will get you to Dubai Mall, Dancing Waters (night fountain - the largest in the world) and the Burj Khalifa.  Dubai also has Global Village with weekend music festivals (website to check what is current). There is also Magic Garden which is another night light entertainment activity.  Camel Market, dune buggy.

Depending on the teens' ages, would you set them to arrange day's tours via internet with set budget in mind?  I realize it could open up a mess, or tailor something they will like at an inexpensive cost.  Great start at learning how to plan travel and do a budget too.

21 hours ago, garrob said:

Hello folks,

I'm still in the Bellissima right now.  After reading ALL the negative reviews about MSC the corporation and MSC Ships.  I've come to realize that people want a Bloomingdales experience on a Walmart budget.  

The ONLY thing I found that was negative about MSC the company, is their Customer Service.  Both ships, Lirica and Bellissima are just fine.  If you like bling, you'll certainly like Bellissima.  It's very nice to look at inside and out.  The galleria (decks 6&7) is spectacular.

However, having been on both, the Lirica felt more comfortable with less people.  But, since you have children, they be will most likely like Bellissima much more.

Take Mef_57 advice, and just check out online resources for things you might like to do.  For instance, there's safari rides in most of the port cities, without using MSC excursions.  Dubai's Global Village is definitely something your children would love, and had a very inexpensive entry fee you can book online if you like. 

One more thing, I noticed there's hardly any announcements on the Bellissima compared to the Lirica, so reading the daily program is a must.  The only announcements I heard on my recent cruise were for final calls of passengers who missed the ship in Abu Dhabi and Doha.  Also, Bahrain has the best overall Duty Free selection. Good luck.

On Edit:. How about taking your children on a walk around the old parts of Dubai & Doha to provide them with the real city and real life.  And not so much the sanitized Disney world parts.

Edited by Skoobdo
  • Thanks 1

Hello, many thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

I will look up all those suggestions and hopefully we will find something.

I know what you mean about people expecting so much.

You said you are on the Bellissima as we speak.

What is the weather like at the moment? we sail on 15th Feb.

We are booked on the Aurea package, do you know what the private sundeck for Aurea guests is like? is it large?

Is the check in process quick?

We arrive at Dubai Airport at 06.30am on the day we sail, would you have any idea if we will get boarded soon after that?

We have a fly/cruise package.

14 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I see you haven't a lot of posts, so perhaps you aren't aware there is a Ports forum.  One for Africa & the Middle East. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/19-africa-amp-middle-east/

There is a member, Skoobdo who had been doing a few MSC sailings these past weeks and she has been on the Bellisima recently. As a solo non tour passenger, she may not have quite what you are looking for but read some of the details for your ports and if you post again there, she may have some insights.

Recent post on the Port forum mentioned above for Sir Bani Ya Island.

Burj Khalifa is pretty much a 'must', but know that you can also get reduced tickets through 'GroupOn'.  Check there for other discounts.  

With 4 including teens, I would be looking at non cruise bookings.  You can most likely get private tours for less than ship tours; but they still seem expensive when you have to consider the family plan.

Recently, Bahrain was removed from a similar itinerary with an extra day in either Dubai or Abu Dhabi.  Not sure how your itinerary will stand. 

For Abu Dhabi, a taxi to Ferrari World, or the Mosque, or whatever interests you would most likely be more cost effective than a tour. All the cities have tourism websites, so checking there will define what is available now. Dubai is building like crazy because they are hosting the World Expo in November, so plenty that is new. Taxi or metro or combo will get you to Dubai Mall, Dancing Waters (night fountain - the largest in the world) and the Burj Khalifa.  Dubai also has Global Village with weekend music festivals (website to check what is current). There is also Magic Garden which is another night light entertainment activity.  Camel Market, dune buggy.

Depending on the teens' ages, would you set them to arrange day's tours via internet with set budget in mind?  I realize it could open up a mess, or tailor something they will like at an inexpensive cost.  Great start at learning how to plan travel and do a budget too.

Many thanks for your reply, I will check out all the info you provided. Many thanks it is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garrob said:

Hello, many thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

I will look up all those suggestions and hopefully we will find something.

I know what you mean about people expecting so much.

You said you are on the Bellissima as we speak.

What is the weather like at the moment? we sail on 15th Feb.

We are booked on the Aurea package, do you know what the private sundeck for Aurea guests is like? is it large?

Is the check in process quick?

We arrive at Dubai Airport at 06.30am on the day we sail, would you have any idea if we will get boarded soon after that?

We have a fly/cruise package.

You can board the ship almost whenever you like, as long as MSC people are Manning their stations. 

The terminal (terminal 3) is open 24 hours, so you can just make it over to the terminal and check in your large baggage, and relax until they start boarding. 

People are disembarking and embarking all day and night and at all the other ports too.  There's generally no lines, and if so maybe 2-3 people.  Your room should be ready by 12 noon.  

The weather has been quite cold and windy (for me), since I've been in this area since November when it was warm/hot. If you're coming from a very cold area, you'll be probably comfortable.

But, this time I was in Doha all the street vendors were gone along the entire Corniche.  Night and day experience from my last experience in December when I was there. It takes less than one hour and a half to walk from outside the port to the center mall in Doha along the Corniche, which I did both times I visited. But, you pay for a MSC's shuttle or a taxi. But, also, try to go to the Souk area if you can.

But, mark down on your must see-list.... the night before your ship leaves Doha, try to get a glimpse of Doha's coastal skyline ,(on one of the outdoor decks or from your balcony), if it's on the seaside.  It's the most brilliant skyline I've ever saw before.  All the buildings are lit up in different colors.

I don't have any information about the Aurea guests.  But, they have an entire blocked off area for them that is not accessible by other guests, so I didn't see those areas or the yacht club because again it's blocked off including the elevators unless your key card is programmed for entry.

I would be assume it's large, as the entire ship is humongous.  

Off topic:  For anyone reading this, don't book ANY cabin on Deck 5.  That deck gets everybody walking pass your cabin to go to Guests Services.  Try to book on deck 9 and above to get more quietness.  Maybe 8, but nothing lower, because it's extremely noisy between decks 4 and 7 (where all the shops/galleria/offices/main dining rooms are located.  I was in Deck 9.  Perfect.  I used my balcony twice. Too hot (direct sun) one day and freezing rain and windy all the others especially when the ship was moving.  I'm glad it was an upgrade, because it wouldn't have been worth paying more for. But, during milder temperatures, the balcony would have been "maybe," worth it.  So, since in the last month I've had an Interior, Oceanview and Balcony, I'll just be booking Oceanview from now on since it was far the the best room I had overall for the price. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

....just wanted to add that some folks I talked to that had the cruise/flight package were met by MSC personnel at the airport and shuttled to the cruise port terminal and processed from there.  Hopefully, this will be your experience and will provide you with a seamless transition, as according to these passengers they saw MSC personnel holding signs wherever they went and was guided along all the way to the ship. And they were not aurea or yacht club. They were passengers like me on the Lirica deck 8 with regular oceanview cabins the week of Christmas.

Edited by Skoobdo

Thank you everyone. Skoobdo, great info so many thanks for that. We live in Scotland so the weather will be like a summers day for us!!.

Hopefully we will get boarded as you say and we can get a chance to find our bearings.

I think we might leave exploring Dubai until the last day of the cruise as we arrive early morning and don't leave until the following day.

Regards.

• Like 1

@garrob

Just a heads up:  I disembarked today at 8:00am, and I observed a large group of people in line to embark on the Bellissima.  These people just got off shuttle buses.  I totally forgot about the all-inclusive tour groups that are shuttled to the cruise port and picked up again on disembarking and taken to the airport. I had to deal with them when staying at the Hampton Inn airport location.  So, you may end up in a long line unfortunately, since you'll be arriving at about the same time as those large groups.

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

Hi

I notice on the disembarkation list Emirates flight EK 31 is listed at 10.45 for a 12.10 departure !! We will be leaving earlier than that. 

Emirates checks you in and takes your luggage at the cruise port.