If HAL had a ship returning after a port in China with flu outbreak

sansterre

45 minutes ago, zelker said:

Ran across this yesterday: 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/st-lucia-turns-away-cruise-ship-due-to-coronavirus-concerns/ar-BBZBtu0?ocid=spartanntp

As anyone who's ever been on a cruise ship knows, no ship is ever 100% illness-free, and lately it seems like there are more and more people on board who are walking around the ship coughing and sneezing and blowing their noses.  If ports are going to start turning away ships because there are crew and pax with upper respiratory illness not specifically diagnosed as coronavirus, no ship will ever be allowed to dock.

We cruised for years without catching anything, but we've come home with upper respiratory problems after the last several cruises.  And, yes, many onboard with symptoms.  

Trying to figure what has changed, the only thing I can think of is that there are more passengers now from opposite ends of the earth, where summer and winter are reversed, so it's flu season year-round on a cruise ship.  Obviously just guessing, but it does seem different than in years past.  And it would make it very difficult to sort out the coronavirus from other things.

Got off the Silversea Silver Wind in Fort Lauderdale yesterday.  Family of four in front of us was from the People’s Republic of China.  CBP personnel pulled them out of the line and into what looked like a small waiting area off to the side.  I thought that was a bit strange since this was an 11-day Ft Lauderdale to Ft Lauderdale cruise so they’d obviously already been admitted to the USA.  Maybe some other issue had come up or processing of PRC citizens changed while we out at sea.    

Edited by Randyk47

I'm a little nervous because we will be taking a cruise to Hawaii on the Eurodam on March 1st.  So far, I don't think there are any outbreaks in Hawaii of the coronavirus.  Still I've read that they have been accepting ships from China, perhaps even after US (mainland) decided not to.  Or it could be that ships from China arrived in Hawaii prior to the publicity, concern, and US decision not to host ships and passengers from China.

I'm suppose the red alert will be in force on the Eurodam during our cruise.  What other precautions should we take?   I don't want to cancel as I need this vacation/cruise.  And staying on the ship while others go ashore and return to the ship won't help much.

Choose tables for two so nobody will sneeze at you across the table (happened to us). Wash your hands often, avoid touching your face. Go ashore, less likely to catch a virus/cold from locals who have been out in the warm weather all the time. If you are really concerned, avoid bus tours with fellow cruisers who have arrived with colds. I wouldn't be concerned about the corona virus, more the flu and common cold. Cold virus stay on surfaces for 24 hours unless wiped off like they constantly clean the hand rails on ships.

Edited by Floridiana