The price of Regent choice excursions

I am thinking that there is something wrong with the UK Regent website. Either that or the cost of some trips has become extortionate. I have been looking at the Explorer cruise leaving Lisbon in early May.

Here are a couple of examples

(1) The last day of the cruise sees Explorer in Le Havre. One of the suggested excursions is a small group tour of Honfleur, which is a 30 minute bus ride away, and consists mainly walking round this undoubtedly scenic town ( been there several times and it is lovely). The suggested price £1,445 per person - eek!

(2)Another suggested excursion that day is to some of the D-day beaches, the memorable US cemetery and Bayeux (but not including the Tapestry museum). The stated Price is £1,775 per person which seems really strange given that a visit to the Canadian landing beaches is free.

other cruise ports appear to have a mixture of free or seemingly reasonable excursions and then one or two others at eye-watering prices for no apparent reason. I am hoping that this is just a case of the decimal point being put in the wrong place and I seriously hope that no-one has actually paid these prices.

I can only speak to the British Isle ports that we will be visiting but all of our small group and Regent choice tours are in the $40-$90. I do see that the full day private car tours are in The $1200+ range and a couple of the accessible tours (Which I assume have special wheel chair devices on board) are very expensive as well so perhaps these are the tours you are referring too?

1 hour ago, Belfast Taxman said:

I am thinking that there is something wrong with the UK Regent website. Either that or the cost of some trips has become extortionate. I have been looking at the Explorer cruise leaving Lisbon in early May.

(1) The last day of the cruise sees Explorer in Le Havre. One of the suggested excursions is a small group tour of Honfleur, which is a 30 minute bus ride away, and consists mainly walking round this undoubtedly scenic town ( been there several times and it is lovely). The suggested price £1,445 per person - eek!

(2)Another suggested excursion that day is to some of the D-day beaches, the memorable US cemetery and Bayeux (but not including the Tapestry museum). The stated Price is £1,775 per person which seems really strange given that a visit to the Canadian landing beaches is free.

Something sounds wrong here.  We're on the Explorer cruise starting in Lisbon on 4 May.  We'll be in Le Havre on 17 May.  Here are our prices for the tours you mention in USD:

D-Day Landing Beaches (Regent Choice)

Approx. DURATION: 10.5 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-005

$159.00

Walking Tour of Le Havre (no small group option offered for our cruise)

Approx. DURATION: 3 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-011

FREE

However, there are a couple of very high priced offerings...are they possibly the tours you are pricing?:

Accessible Honfleur Harbor and Town Center

Approx. DURATION: 4 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-AC1

$1849.00

Accessible Normandy D-Day Beaches and WWII Cemetery

Approx. DURATION: 9 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-AC2

$2249.00

These seem to be a ridiculous surcharge for using smaller, wheel-chair lift equipped vehicles.

Portolan - yes these were the excursions I was referring to. Thank you for pointing out that these tours had capability to transport wheel chairs. I had missed that point. As you say it is a significant surcharge, especially given that the price is per person. No doubt Regent will say that the cost is the best they can arrange, indeed that the price is partially subsidised. However, in my experience, with my wife’s grandfather, most modern wheelchairs can fold down and easily be fitted in the boot (trunk?) of a car. This would surely make the executive car day rentals a much cheaper option, especially on a per person basis, assuming that you can transfer from wheelchair to car seat. I appreciate that this may not always be possible for everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 3:24 AM, Belfast Taxman said:

other cruise ports appear to have a mixture of free or seemingly reasonable excursions and then one or two others at eye-watering prices for no apparent reason. I am hoping that this is just a case of the decimal point being put in the wrong place and I seriously hope that no-one has actually paid these prices.

Are you on the cruise? I am!!!  Regent told my sister that that is probably the cost for the ENTIRE group...and not individual.  Hope to meet you if you are on board.....I am so looking forward to our stop in Belfast...and thanks I booked a private (4 people) black cab political tour in the morning.  They will pick up/return us to boat in time for afternoon tour.  So worth the money

On 2/9/2020 at 4:44 AM, Portolan said:

Something sounds wrong here.  We're on the Explorer cruise starting in Lisbon on 4 May.  We'll be in Le Havre on 17 May.  Here are our prices for the tours you mention in USD:

D-Day Landing Beaches (Regent Choice)

Approx. DURATION: 10.5 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-005

$159.00

Walking Tour of Le Havre (no small group option offered for our cruise)

Approx. DURATION: 3 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-011

FREE

However, there are a couple of very high priced offerings...are they possibly the tours you are pricing?:

Accessible Honfleur Harbor and Town Center

Approx. DURATION: 4 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-AC1

$1849.00

Accessible Normandy D-Day Beaches and WWII Cemetery

Approx. DURATION: 9 Hours

Tour Code: LEH-AC2

$2249.00

These seem to be a ridiculous surcharge for using smaller, wheel-chair lift equipped vehicles.

Look forward to meeting you!