Rome excursion Hop on hop off riveria sailing

seamac29

Am taking the Rome excursion Hop on Off bus off Oceania Riviera in October that runs from 8:30 to 6 PM anyone done this or know what is the latest time that you can catch the bus back from Rome to the ship Thanks 

Edited by seamac29
Grammar

6 hours ago, seamac29 said:

Am taking the Rome excursion Hop on Off bus off Oceania Riviera in October that runs from 8:30 to 6 PM anyone done this or know what is the latest time that you can catch the bus back from Rome to the ship Thanks 

I can't really answer your question.  I assume you mean a Riviera Shuttle service from Civitiveccia, which takes something over an hour to the City of Rome .    If it is a service run by Oceania, they will give you all the information you need.

This Cruisecritic thread about travel from Civi to Rome (and back) is worth a read.

Are you aware of the new express train (and return) to Rome?  As you read through the thread you will get a good idea of timing and walking distances.

Thanks yes Oceania will be bringing us back I realize that they will tell us when and where just seeing timing We are taking the gladiator gate tour of the Colosseum which starts at 1:30 and lasts 3 hours been to Forum before and really doing this mainly for Colosseum portion which is second hour

I would expect that there is not a multiple option for the bus going back to the ship. Perhaps you could post the description of the tour that Oceania is offering and we would have a better idea. 

I would expect them to allot around 1.5 or more to get back to port, this would have the bus leaving around 4:30 or earlier. 

Having been there a few times I would cancel the tour and take the train into Rome, then do your private tours at your leisure. 

Thanks Yes that’s what we thought too probably about 430 which would be fine as we are a little nervous about going back-and-forth on our own because if something happens don’t make it back to the ship we’re stranded in Rome They listed on Oceana as hop on hop off Rome tour with a give you a pass I presume for the day there’s a few of them listed Online so not sure which one they’re using but pretty sure they’re all the same which is circumvent the major sites in the city

I read that description for the tour. It doesn't give any details on your transportation from Civitavecchia to Rome and back. That's really the info you need to know.  I'm pretty sure the HOHO buses aren't coming out there. Maybe someone that has taken that tour might see this. 

I haven't seen this type of tour before offered on Oceania for this port, but it's been 3 or more years since we've been in that region. I don't know if they've offered it in the past before. 

I can't speak of the bus to Rome, but I have noticed in other ports that the ship's definition of "half day" or "full day" isn't mine.  They are very clear about when to catch the last one whichever you take ... but you wouldn't want to miss the shuttle any more than you'd want to be late taking the train or even private transport. 

It's been a long time but when we were in Dublin Insignia offered both of these options; we ended up taking a cab.  We were told there were long waits for a cab (especially when leaving the port) but that wasn't the case, and we were even to share the cab with another passenger, thereby reducing the cost.  Both the half day and full day shuttles just didn't give us enough time whereas going on our own did.  And we were back in plenty of time.  This was in July 2006 and things may well have changed since then!

Speaking personally (and I am not trying to convince anybody), I would stay in Rome for a few days and see it in comfort ... albeit at greater expense.  If you are there mid-cruise then you don't have much choice, of course.  (I'm too lazy to go back to the beginning and see about that, my fault.)  When we are in a port that offers such a tour where the travel time to the city we want to see is significant -- as it is with Rome -- I find other options.  A private tour perhaps, or perhaps just doing as others suggested here and take advantage of train travel.

Mura