Wine Lovers the Musical

UKWildcatCruiser

Sailing on the Getaway in October and was looking at this show. Can anyone comment on the quality of the wines and the lunch served? More interested in the wine than the food. Are all these wines available to taste in the Wine Cellar/bar cheaper than the $25 add-on for the show? Is the show funny? I can’t imagine that it would be, but who knows? Also, how many times per week do they do it? I’m on a ten day, but will be in port 8 of those. I would only want to go on a sea day.

Thanks for any responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

Sailing on the Getaway in October and was looking at this show. Can anyone comment on the quality of the wines and the lunch served? More interested in the wine than the food. Are all these wines available to taste in the Wine Cellar/bar cheaper than the $25 add-on for the show? Is the show funny? I can’t imagine that it would be, but who knows? Also, how many times per week do they do it? I’m on a ten day, but will be in port 8 of those. I would only want to go on a sea day.

Thanks for any responses!

We went to the show on the Getaway last fall and enjoyed it. The wines are available at the bars and not terribly high quality (but none of NCLs wines by the glass are) but they sort of serve their purpose for the show. The food was decent (I think we had short rib). My advice would be to go if you think you might enjoy the show as a whole and not just for the wine.

Here is what I wrote in my TR

"We were seated up front with another Haven couple whom we would see throughout the week (we ended up having dinner together on the next to last night). In case you couldn't figure it from the 8 bottles we brought, my wife and I are really into wine (in fact she works pours wine in a tasting room on Sundays for a local winery). With that in mind the musical was pretty good. It was sort of half wine tasting half dinner theater. They made light of the quirkiness of wine connoisseurs and wine newbies while taking everyone through the tasting flights. "

Edited by fastpitchdad

We did this on the Escape this past summer and enjoyed it.  It was a nice break on our last sea day.  We too sat with friends we had made on the ship through the week.

Like "fastpitchdad" we had a short rib entree that was good.

The show is "cute" and is entertaining.  The wine is fine, nothing spectacular, but drinking it is spun into the story so you do become more engaged in the show.

11 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

So the wines are the “by the glass” wine that is included in the UBP? To me that seems like a rip off paying $25 for something I’m already getting.

Which is why I suggested going for the show and not the wine. It is not really a wine tasting (if you want that do the black glass tasting) it is more of a dinner theater where you taste along with the players. I thought it was worth doing and I can be a bit of a wine snob 🙂

Which is why I suggested going for the show and not the wine. It is not really a wine tasting (if you want that do the black glass tasting) it is more of a dinner theater where you taste along with the players. I thought it was worth doing and I can be a bit of a wine snob [emoji846]

What is a “black glass” tasting? That sounds like it may be more my speed. I’m not really interested in the show.

13 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

What is a “black glass” tasting? That sounds like it may be more my speed. I’m not really interested in the show.

It is a blind tasting or sorts because in a black glass you can only use taste and smell to evaluate the wine. They start with a regular tasting and go through color, legs, swirl, smell, taste, etc. and then taste a few wines in a black glass. I believe it was $20 (plus a 20% discount because of UDP?). 

Also from my TR

"Our first tasting was a black glass wine tasting at Le Bistro.  We did something similar on the Pearl last year which we enjoyed but this one was much better. Only three of us signed up so the Sommelier really took his time to explain the intricacies of wine tasting. First we tasted some wine in regular glasses and with tasting notes and varietal information and then we tasted three new wines in black glasses. For each wine we had to decide red or white (pretty easy), varietal, and location (old or new world). In the end I think my wife won but she works in the industry. All three of us had a great time. When it was over he sent us on our way with a very full glass of whichever wine we enjoyed the most."

35 minutes ago, UKWildcatCruiser said:

Thanks FastPitchDad. That sounds like it would be a better fit for me. Are the wines better than what’s on the UBP? Like you, we will be bringing a few of our own bottles on board to enjoy at dinner. I am also a bit of a wine snobemoji4.png

There might have been some wine that was a couple of dollars above the UDP but they were all available by the glass with possibly a small upcharge. I would still recommend it...for someone into wine it was definitely fun.

For value the best tasting we did was the Macallan tasting. For $20 (or $16 with discount) you get a flight of three higher end scotches with chocolate and nut pairing in a tasting environment for less than what you can buy it for at a bar (and most bars on the ship don't carry it). 

20191010_193744.jpg

24 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

For value the best tasting we did was the Macallan tasting. For $20 (or $16 with discount) you get a flight of three higher end scotches with chocolate and nut pairing in a tasting environment for less than what you can buy it for at a bar (and most bars on the ship don't carry it). 

Thanks for the quick note on the Macallan tasting! 

We did the "Riedel Glass Tasting" on the Escape, where you try the wines in different styles of glasses.  It was fun, even though the wines themselves were "meh" (we are also leaning on the wine snob end of the spectrum).

I did inspire us to purchase a set of Pinot Noir glasses over the holidays -- NCL provided a discount card/code to buy Riedel glasses online at a 10% discount.

We are on the Joy in 31 days and will  DEFINITELY do the Macallan tasting. 

• Like 2