Toddler Advice for Oasis

Hello we are still deciding if we want to take our 16 month old on our cruise in May. Does anyone have any advice if its hard to go with a 16 month old? we wanted some info if anyone had used the daycare for a 16 month old and how did they like it.

thanks

Not used the daycare, but worked in it...

Oasis class is one of the best for toddlers. 

They have a new splash pad for kids in diapers (they cant go in the pools), the carousel, face painting, balloon animals. 

They have an open play area where families can play together and you can get free toy lending bags from the nursery if you want/need extra/different toys, that you can change out as much as you want. 

They only usually take 8 babies/tots at a time so bookings are recommended, especially at busy times, but you may be able to do a walk in drop off. They can eat, sleep and poop in there. They will try and keep to the schedule you give them as much as possible. When you drop off they'll give you a phone so you can keep in contact with each other if needed. 

We just got off Allure and took our 17 month old with us. For us it wasn't too bad as my mother in law came with. As far as the daycare for the babies go, it was AWESOME. During the day its $6/hr and then after 7pm (I think) it goes up to $8/hr. The way it worked on our sailing was during the first 3 days of the trip we were allowed to book up to 12 hours in the nursery. After day 3 it was open season and you were able to book as many hours as you liked based on the availability. They give you a little phone that works on the ship should anything happen they can get a hold of you. They also will feed your kid. All the girls working in the nursery were great, and all of them have college degrees in some sort of related child care field. Overall we were super happy with it and would definitely recommend it.

We cruised with my son at 14 months, 19 months, and 3 years, and took my daughter on her first cruise at 6 months. Kids LOVE cruising! We have a 15 night TA booked in two months. They will be 4 and 16 months. The baby splash pad is small, but enough for them to get wet. The kids area is amazing. They have so many toys for them to explore while you play with them. My daughter didn't love the babysitting, but the staff was wonderful despite her crying. If your son is used to being left with a babysitter/daycare he will be fine, but do get reservations as mentioned above. All of the staff was wonderful with our kids. We did the sit down dinners each night and they always had drinks and a bowl of fruit waiting for our kids. They made special meals and brought cookies for dessert each night. In the buffet, I felt like the waiters were fighting each other to be sure we had what we needed. 

The room is plenty big for a pack n play and the ship will provide one. Other than their favorite stuffed animals, we really didn't take anything special, but if you go to the family boards there are a ton of posts of ideas of things to take with kids. 

We live and die by a schedule, so we didn't have much of late nights (and didn't get to see the night time shows on Allure) but we have always had fun and great memories! We did book a neighborhood balcony on boardwalk so we could see some of the aqua shows. Having a balcony was nice as we could sit outside and people watch while she napped or went to bed early, but its not critical. 

We cruised with my daughter when she was 20ish months on Oasis. This was a few years ago, but we found it to be a fantastic ship for all of us. She adored the carousel, and the boardwalk was a nice place to let her run around a bit, so long as there weren't crowds. She loved Central Park, and especially the ice skating and diving shows. The staff was absolutely wonderful with her, especially the folks in the buffet. We enjoyed the bag of toys that you could check out from the kids club and take to your room, and we liked the little play area where parents can stay with their kids. We were worried, but afterward, I honestly couldn't think of an easier vacation with our kiddo at that time. We went in early December, so there weren't a ton of kids on board. Time of year may change your experience a bit. 

We only utilized the nursery one night for a few hours, so I can't comment there. 

20 hours ago, tennislvr8 said:

When and where do you request a pack n play? 

Your TA can do it for you if you have one. Or you can just email royal's special needs email and let them know you'd like one in your room. You can also just wait to request one on board. Most times we have to ask for it once we get to our room even if we have requested it prior. 

On our next cruise (Brilliance) they told us we can't request it until our room is assigned. Something about it not fitting if the sofa bed is pulled out. I'm certain this isn't true or it sounds like a law suit to deny a baby a safe place to sleep. We have crammed pack n plays into the tiniest of inside rooms before (move the bed all the way against one wall and put the pack n play right next to you). On oasis class, you should have plenty of room to put it between the bed and the couch.