Zuiderdam/Westerdam Pools

salsa58

We are considering a winter 2006/07 Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam

or Westerdam. We have cruised with Royal Caribbean and Princess, and

Radisson....and will be new to Holland America. Can anyone give us some

feedback about the pools, their lounging/sunning areas, and the type

of live music that typically plays ? Thanks!

First, do not expect HAL to be a premium cruise line...it is not. Second, I would not recommend the Zuiderdam period. The ship and it's crew leave much to be desired. During our cruise in January, with the ship having completed drydock, it was still in need of repairs. HAL loyalists stand by the vessel and it's staff but having sailed many of the same lines as you I do not recommend the ship.

As far as entertainment, on the Zuiderdam there simply wasn't any. I believe the was a live band out at the pool three times. The first was supposed to be the sail-a-way. The band played for approximately 10 minutes and then they were gone. The second was for the BBQ which was a bust and the third was a night party at the aft pool. During bathing hours they had no entertainment at all at the pool. Pool games were sparce on sea days, etc. HAL or the Zuiderdam did not excell in this area. Unless you just want to experience HAL or your regular line do not offer the itinerary you are seeking you would be wise to look at another line if you the poolside music is something you enjoy when sailing.

The band played for approximately 10 minutes and then they were gone.

I find it hard to believe that a band would set up and only play for 10 minutes?:rolleyes: Were you actually there to witness this or heard someones claim?

For a band to play for that length of time on a sail away would be very odd indeed.

salsa58,

You will get many different opinions (note the word opinion) regarding HAL and the various ships.

MY opinion is, having sailed twice on the Zuiderdam and once on the Westerdam, they are both wonderful ships, have terrific crews and do offer a "premium" experience.

I would not hesitate to recommend either one.

Reaganskyesdad is assuming that salsa58's question regarding music at the pool automatically indicates his/her interest in something that Reaganskyesdad felt wasn't offered on the Zuiderdam.

He/she may have asked about the music at the pool because like me, cannot stand being yelled at by poolside cruise directors and loud music.

I will NEVER sail Costa again for this very reason. I couldn't take the NOISE anymore and had to stay away from the pool.

I choose HAL because I can relax at the pool. If I want to hear a band, I'll turn on my IPOD.

Reaganskyesdad is assuming that salsa58's question regarding music at the pool automatically indicates his/her interest in something that Reaganskyesdad felt wasn't offered on the Zuiderdam.

He/she may have asked about the music at the pool because like me, cannot stand being yelled at by poolside cruise directors and loud music.

I will NEVER sail Costa again for this very reason. I couldn't take the NOISE anymore and had to stay away from the pool.

I choose HAL because I can relax at the pool. If I want to hear a band, I'll turn on my IPOD.

Amen, my IPOD it is. This is the very reason that I quit sailing on Carnival and became a HAL junkie.

Must agree with Reaganskyesdad the sailaway on our Zuiderdam cruise also was pretty poor, the band played for about 10 mintues followed by the cruise director making everyone scream out to the Carribbean Princess "you're on the wrong damn ship" and that was it.

However, that being said our cruise was otherwise exceptional, service, food, cabins, excursions, everything. To also address your question, the lounge chairs around the mid-ship pool were really nice with navy stripped chair pads. The chairs at the aft pool also had nice chair pads, there was really no shade at that pool though. We look forward to sailing with HAL again and yes we have been on RCCL, Celebrity and Princess as well.

I find it hard to believe that a band would set up and only play for 10 minutes?:rolleyes: Were you actually there to witness this or heard someones claim?

For a band to play for that length of time on a sail away would be very odd indeed.

Yes, I was there and the short period they played caused several comments from others.

Krazy...on our cruise they did not have a live band during our at sea days during those hours. Can't speak to Port days as we were off the ship.

nevis...you are correct, that is the assumption I am making. And, I was talking only about bands not the "Muzak" which was loud.

jlof...HMC is OUTSTANDING (except the food which was not too bad) and bettter than even Castaway Cay (Disney's).

There are a number of people who do not like the Zuiderdam. I have never been on the Westerdam but I have been on the OOSTERDAM and liked it much better than the Zuiderdam. And they are sister ships. You go figure it out. I love the Statendam, Ryndam and Veendam and yet I was on the Maasdam once and have no diesire to go back on it. I just did not care for the ship.

I think one of the problems on the Vista class (Zuderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam) ships is peoples expectations.

Many HAL regulars looking for that same look & feel (as the smaller HAL ships) are somewhat disappointed as it's not what they've grown accustomed to. Too big, service not quite as personalized, etc.

While those new to HAL looking for more of the energized 'night club' feel with a lot of energy... like on RCI and/or Princess... find there's not quite enough of it for their tastes.

Seems the Vista class ships fall somewhere in between the traditional HAL cruises and the more action-oriented RCI and Princess.

Archived