Kids in Jamaica?

meanestmom

I had no idea you were from 'sota. No wonder you're so mean. What 'burb? I grew up in Maplewood.

(:eek: My internet has been down ALL MORNING!!! Thank God it's up now...just before having to run out for a couple of hours...geesh!)

We're in Oakdale - basically at the Maplewood/NSP/Oakdale border!! I have lived in all of 'em and worked for Maplewood even...:D

I have to agree with Chucksta (haven't seen you in a while - where ya been?).

However, to get to Buffett's you have to run the gauntlet of cab drivers, souvenier shop shills, and weed vendors (no, I'm not talking about crabgrass). We spent the whole day at Buffett's, the water slide was fun, there is a swim-up bar, a private beach with water trapoline and shallow water to swim in. Say hi to Camille for us.

And just so you know, Caprcorn28, the meanest thing a mom could possibly do to their child (that would be Timmy) is schedule a 7-day trip to DisneyWorld that forces him to miss the last day of his hockey season and then he has to get his participation trophy from his coach, and he can't be there for the big "end of the season dog pile" in front of the goal, and ......(to be continued).

Ha! I win! I am the meanest mom in the world!:D

I rank right up there with you ... I forced my daughter to go to the Bahama's:eek: last year with the family and miss her once a year swim team banquet....where she might get the most improved swimmer of the year award....made her swim with the dolphins instead of receiving this prestigious award (which she did not win by the way). I also force my 20 yr old daughter to choose between the Bahamas and her friends 21st Birthday party ... which was a toga party.....and made her go snorkeling and kayaking with me. Her friend was so mad at her wouldn't talk to her for weeks.....maybe I should have just left them home:rolleyes:

Whats good to buy in montego bay? Im going for the shopping and might just leave the kids onboard. Is there good scuba diving? My parents will probley stay on board. I think Jimmy Buffets is my kinda place but too much for them. -Still the meanest mom( got told so today)_judy:D

I have lived in all of 'em and worked for Maplewood even...:D

Too funny! I did an internship with the City of Maplewood the summer of 1994!

I rank right up there with you ... I forced my daughter to go to the Bahama's:eek: last year with the family and miss her once a year swim team banquet....where she might get the most improved swimmer of the year award....made her swim with the dolphins instead of receiving this prestigious award (which she did not win by the way). I also force my 20 yr old daughter to choose between the Bahamas and her friends 21st Birthday party ... which was a toga party.....and made her go snorkeling and kayaking with me. Her friend was so mad at her wouldn't talk to her for weeks.....maybe I should have just left them home:rolleyes:

Renee - how do you live with yourself?

Whats good to buy in montego bay? Im going for the shopping and might just leave the kids onboard. Is there good scuba diving? My parents will probley stay on board. I think Jimmy Buffets is my kinda place but too much for them. -Still the meanest mom( got told so today)_judy:D

I would check out the Port of Call boards. I found that the only "good" things to buy were no bargains. Blue Mountain Coffee and Del Sol tee shirts (they change color in sunlight).

I love Jamaica and especially Ocho Rios. I would suggest hiring a driver to give you a tour of the island. When you debark the ship, let the taxi drivers know that you want to tour the island and make sure that both decide on a price prior to leaving the port area. I have done it different ways and loved this the best. It gave us the best way to see the island.

You must go to the Bird Sanctuary in Montego Bay... It is an experience you and your kids will never forget!

Hummingbirds feeding from sugar-water bottles you hold in your hand! Wild finches eating seed out of the palm of your hand or on your knee! It is a very special treat.

A must see! Also, I have to say, many people talk about negative experiences in Jamaica - we did not have any problems like that at all. It was a wonderful country to visit.

Two years ago my family and I were on the Imagination that stopped in Ocho Rios. Hands down, it was the best part of our vacation. We used A-Z Jamaican Planners and Oscar was our guide for the day. He made sure that no vendors were inappropriate. My kids were 8 and 15 at the time and they LOVED every minute. They sat right next to Oscar and soaked up everything he was saying like a sponge. They still talk about that day. Now, Jamaica is beautiful, but very poor and while on our tour (we went to Dunns River Falls and were the first ones up cuz the ship tours hadn't arrived yet, and floating down the White River) we saw some very poor areas and sad looking homes. I, for one, think its important that my kids know how lucky they are and learn about other cultures in the world. We stopped on the side of the road to learn about Spice Mountain from some locals and my friend gave a small boy a piece of liccorice she had in her bag. The smile that boy gave her still remains with me to this day.

We were last in Ocho Rios five years ago. At the time our daugthers were 5 & 9 yr old. We booked with Peat Taylor and went to Dunn's River Falls. We were the first group up the falls that day. Peat made sure we had a guide who would be good with the girls. They both loved it! In fact, we had to find a ship that went to Ocho Rios this spring break (Victory - March 26) because my daughter who was 5 yr old then is now 10 and wants to go back and climb Dunn's River Falls again in the worst way! We're booked with Peat Taylor Tours again at www.peattaylor.com This time we are going to a few different spots with him. He is great about personalizing the tour to do what you want to do. Also, when we've gone shopping or anywhere with Peat we never had any problems about being hassled. We WANTED to go through the market at the Falls (Peat asked if we did or not). We didn't have any problems.

Good luck & have fun!

We had the pleasure of using Peat Taylor as our Ocho Rios Guide back in September. He drove us around the countryside to see several scenic places including Ferngully the Rainforest. One unexpected stop we made was the highlight of the tour. He took us to visit a Jamaican preschool. The kids were adorable. We also went to the Wasai art pottery factory and tubing the White River. We had a wonderful time and no one ever hassled us with Peat at our side. I would highly recommend him.

I wish that there was just one that only went to the Falls without stopping at various other locations.

I don't know...I have until the end of March I guess to decide....

*Another Minnesotan here!! :D Up in an eastern suburb of St. Paul!!

There is an option to go to just the falls, i went twice, you just get off the ship, take a taxi straight there, there is a round trip fare of $5 pp. and a 15$per adult entrance fee i think 12$ per child. I had no problem with taxis hasseling me or ripping me off. They consider all the people on each trip a group and set up a time to pick up from the fallls to go back to the ship. The men who run the tour inside the falls park are very friendly.

Ok, I went to Jamaica 2 times in January. First a Jan 7-14th on the Triumph and It was me and my hubby, our two kids who are 10 and 8 and my parents in their 50s. I had been there in high school and could not wait to go back. We did Dunns river falls this time and my kids LOVED it. They wanted to walk it a second time and we bought the very expensive video of our climb. Then me and my daughter went shopping at margaritaville complex and had a very nice stay in Jamaica. I would say kids would like it if they are not scared of water. I did not see any "bad" stuff going on or get offered any pot while there with my family. That being said...The next week I boarded Carnivals Imagination and stopped there again. I loved the falls so much I went back this time I did the party boat tour because I was by myself.(HUBBY AND KIDS WENT HOME)YAAAA!!! They go to the falls also. THIS WAS totally differant experieence. I was with younger people aged 20-25 (I am 30) and the POT was EVERYWHERE!!! It was on the tour boat, it was on the street and it was on the falls. I was so shocked since i was just there the week before. I think they must respect the fact that you don't want your kids to see that. I was still not scared to be there ...ya know...to each his own. They are all trying to make a living so just say no and move along. They did not harm any of us in any way its just thier lifestyle and that is what traveling is all about to me. Sorry for going on and on...im still excited.

We just went to Montego Bay from the Conquest 1/15/06. Our group of 12 folks (from about 8yo to about 60yo) went to Sunset Beach. All of us agreed it was the highlight of our trip. It was great!

It has a nice quite beach with nice lounge chairs, beautiful water, cabanas, several nice swimming pools, a lazy river, 2 great water slides, towels, soft-drinks, alcoholic drinks, hot dogs, hamburgers, jerk chicken, canoes, paddleboats, snorkling, ping pong, hmmm I'm probably forgetting something :) oh, yea--shopping. We all had plenty to do. It was $2 per person taxi to get there and then $40 for adults $20 for kids, all inclusive. The only thing not included was the massages but they were about 1/2 of the ship's cost.

I wish I was there now. (Sigh)

I love the positive feedback- I really want to expeience Jamaica (O.K. Mon). My kids and I are really laid-back and love people(most of them anyway). I really think this island is the one Im most looking forward too.Im not stupid,though,I will be "street smart"... Judy

We had the pleasure of using Peat Taylor as our Ocho Rios Guide back in September. He drove us around the countryside to see several scenic places including Ferngully the Rainforest. One unexpected stop we made was the highlight of the tour. He took us to visit a Jamaican preschool. The kids were adorable. We also went to the Wasai art pottery factory and tubing the White River. We had a wonderful time and no one ever hassled us with Peat at our side. I would highly recommend him.

Another Peat fan here...isn't he the GREATEST?! I emailed him before we went to Jamaica (Beaches resort-June 2004). He was all they say and more! We too went to the Wasabi pottery place, the school, where 007 movies were filmed (view-lagoon and blue mountains but the name escapes me), Dunns Falls, and general countryside. The kids were "bored" after about 1 hour of sight seeing and I'd be leery of them doing the Falls (5 and 8) so we took them back to the resort, signed them into the kids program and left Peats cell # and were on our way! And oh was I glad...they NEVER would've made that (heck I barely did!). LOL...good luck whichever way you go!...

Jen

We sailed the Conquest in 10/2005 with our 6 & 8 Year old. We went into

Jamaica and were very disapointed...but thats another story.

We did leave our kids at camp on the ship. After all they did not want to be

seen with mom and dad. With the camp what kind of fun could we possible

do that they would need give up camp carnival!

My family is going on the conquest in Dec. My kids are 5+7 and my parents are 81+75. My husband and I are very excited about Jamaica but does anyone have any advice about taking the girls and my very shockable-kinda prudish -old school parents? Does anyone know if we can leave the girls on the ship during port? Thanks-Judy (Still love our Hawks:mad: )

Archived