Kids in Jamaica?

meanestmom

My family is going on the conquest in Dec. My kids are 5+7 and my parents are 81+75. My husband and I are very excited about Jamaica but does anyone have any advice about taking the girls and my very shockable-kinda prudish -old school parents? Does anyone know if we can leave the girls on the ship during port? Thanks-Judy (Still love our Hawks:mad: )

Can't answer your question quite yet...but we'll be going to (Ocho Rios) Jamaica in March. The best thing that I could advise is to go over to the Ports of Call boards for Jamaica and there should be alot of good advice and advisories over there!!

BTW, I love your screen name!!! I guess there must be two of us then!! :rolleyes: :D I always tell my kids that "You're right! I'm mean!! I should be, since I graduated top of my class in 'Mean-Mom School'" LOL

Can't get any meaner than us though...taking our kids on a Caribbean Vacation...geesh! Call the authorities!! ;)

My family is going on the conquest in Dec. My kids are 5+7 and my parents are 81+75. My husband and I are very excited about Jamaica but does anyone have any advice about taking the girls and my very shockable-kinda prudish -old school parents? Does anyone know if we can leave the girls on the ship during port? Thanks-Judy (Still love our Hawks:mad: )

Judy go on over to Jimmy Buffett's there is a private beach and a pool they can play in with a 100 foot water slide. Mom and dad should have a good time there too!

I agree with Chucksta, we were on the Conquest 10/2005 and went to Margaritaville and spent several hours on the back deck looking at the wonderful view. My 11yr old daughter loved it!

I have to agree with Chucksta (haven't seen you in a while - where ya been?).

However, to get to Buffett's you have to run the gauntlet of cab drivers, souvenier shop shills, and weed vendors (no, I'm not talking about crabgrass). We spent the whole day at Buffett's, the water slide was fun, there is a swim-up bar, a private beach with water trapoline and shallow water to swim in. Say hi to Camille for us.

And just so you know, Caprcorn28, the meanest thing a mom could possibly do to their child (that would be Timmy) is schedule a 7-day trip to DisneyWorld that forces him to miss the last day of his hockey season and then he has to get his participation trophy from his coach, and he can't be there for the big "end of the season dog pile" in front of the goal, and ......(to be continued).

Ha! I win! I am the meanest mom in the world!:D

Wow, everyone..Thanks for the advice! Margaritaviile sounds like our kind of place.This is our first cruise(Im a disney expert:p ) so I have no idea what to expect. Timmys mom- Cudos for Disneyworld- My kids are whining about not going this year (7 in a row?!?) and all they get to do is,"go on a dumb old boat".....See how mean I am....Judy

And just so you know, Caprcorn28, the meanest thing a mom could possibly do to their child (that would be Timmy) is schedule a 7-day trip to DisneyWorld that forces him to miss the last day of his hockey season and then he has to get his participation trophy from his coach, and he can't be there for the big "end of the season dog pile" in front of the goal, and ......(to be continued).

Man all mighty...you ARE the meanest Mom! ;) Poor Timmy....:p

if ya going to montego bay stay away from the stores they tell you to shop at. I have been there three times all you have to do is barely look at an item and they start harrassing you to buy it. Its horrible, one time we got lost and went down the wrong street.. man i must have been offered to buy something illegal 5 times on top of every other woman wanting to braid my hair, to the point of them actually grabbing my hair as i walked past... just my opinion obviously and some other people might like the place but i did not care for it at all.. i was even scared at times. I would book a tour for sure or try out Jimmy's i did hear good things about there

the meanest thing a mom could possibly do to their child (that would be Timmy) is schedule a 7-day trip to DisneyWorld that forces him to miss the last day of his hockey season and then he has to get his participation trophy from his coach, and he can't be there for the big "end of the season dog pile" in front of the goal, and ......(to be continued).

We're from Rochester.

I can't believe you would be making him give up all that fun and FORCING him to go to DisneyWorld! What kind of a parent are you anyway?:eek:

Tell me at least that he hasn't been - so doesn't know what he'd be missing?;)

I thought I was a Disney fanatic, until I got on to the Dis Boards and then there's no comparing!

We're from Rochester.

I can't believe you would be making him give up all that fun and FORCING him to go to DisneyWorld! What kind of a parent are you anyway?:eek:

Tell me at least that he hasn't been - so doesn't know what he'd be missing?;)

I thought I was a Disney fanatic, until I got on to the Dis Boards and then there's no comparing!

We are just up Hwy 52 from you - in Rosemount. He was there when he was 18 months old and I took him to DisneyLand when he was 5.

My kids are whining about not going this year (7 in a row?!?) and all they get to do is,"go on a dumb old boat".....

All I hear about is how the commercials show kids on the ship and that we can go to Disneyworld "any old time."

MEAN MOMS UNITE! Show them your stretch marks and then announce that they are going to visit grandma and grandpa for a week while we vacation.

Thanks for all the Jamaica info. I'm trying to figure out what age is appropriate for Dunn's River Falls or river tubing (with one of the private tour guides)? Has anyone done this with 5 & 7 year olds? :confused: We're open to keeping them on the ship if that's a better option but the adults definitely want to do DR Falls.

Thanks!

We where in Jamica about 3 weeks ago in Ocho rios. We went to the falls there where 8 in out group 3 adult 12 10 5 year old boys climbed. The other adult and a 2 year old stayed and enjoyed the veiw from one of the many over looks. Beware there are many stairs when not climbing the falls. But well worth the trip there is a market too for shopping we did not go. We also went to Margeritaville at the isalnd market but did noy play at the beach. Just stopped for a bite to eat. But would love liked to stay if we had more time and no kids things could of been a lot more interesting. But kids are very welcomed there I would advise to sit out by the beach though things inside where kinda crazy you know too many cocktails.

OT but I can't belive I saw someone from Roch mn on the board I am from near there too just 15 miles to the east on hwy 14. Small world!

Unless you are going to Margaritaville. My mother who has servere arthritis was trapped in one of the shops and was told that she could not leave till she bought something. The people who live there will touch you when ever they feel like it and they will grab at your kids.

A family we met on the boat did Dunn River falls and 4 of the 5 came back with cuts and bruises. You can not tell how deep the water is and your next step could land you in water up to your waist. We watched people and it seemed that most of

Don't trust the Cab drivers either weven if they have a "pass" they get you in with an "agreed" price drive you iontop a bad area and start negotiating. just to let you know I live near detroit so I know what a bad area is.

I have loed every other Island I have been to but Jamaica is one I will not be going back to.

P.S. Be careful of people selling pot they will slip it in your pocket to get you arrested. They love tourists in jail there.

No need to leave the kids on board. And I have to say I'm not a fan of that.

We went to Sunset Beach, it's an all inclusive resort. You can take a cab from the ship to the resort. There is a fee pp to get in, food & unlimited drinks are included, (check the ports of call for more info),. We went there last year & loved the beach, they were building a water park at the time which I believe has been completed. I believe this would be a great spot for you & your whole family. Everything is on one level, if your parents want to sit in the shade there are plenty of spots available for that while you sit on the beach,use the pool, or are in the water park.

I think that your children might be to young & your parents might be to old for Margaritaville, your probably just right!!! The music is very loud & it is a split level building.

If your looking to walk around a port or to do a little shopping, I don't think this is the port you want.

From everything that I have ever read here on CC and heard from people I know that have been there...but I didn't want to say initially, cuz I have not been there myself...it is the one place that I can honestly say that I am a little leary about. I have heard all the stories...and we have our reservations.

One thing we are thinking is: leave the kids on the ship and check out Margaritaville ourselves. If it is a comfortable enough situation, we'll get them and bring them to the beach at Margaritaville only (I did find the "Lost Shaker of Salt" on the Margaritaville website for my free Margarita). When and IF we all get off the ship, I will be bringing NO big beach bags for anything to be dropped in it. I will NOT be touching anything in any store that I do not intend on buying. I basically heard that if you touch it, it's considered <SOLD> to them. But then I go back to not letting the kids get off AT ALL! I have daughters, one very much 'stands out' with red/curly hair! I don't think that I want any kind of attention brought to her...(and she hates when people 'freely' touch her hair when they comment on it!!)

I have been to many foreign countries and never felt so leery. I have always felt that if nothing else, stick with a cruise ship excursion...but then, there really isn't an excursion that I am particularly interested in. I wish that there was just one that only went to the Falls without stopping at various other locations.

I don't know...I have until the end of March I guess to decide....

*Another Minnesotan here!! :D Up in an eastern suburb of St. Paul!!

O.k. so the kids-no,parents-no ,us -yes?!?My husband wants to go diving so I;ll be by myself (unless I meet some people:p )I would love to see the culture but I guess I'll just go to Jimmy Buffets.Is it far from the dock? Thanks-The meanest mom-Judy

We were unexpectedly in Jamaica the first week of January.

We didn't find out our itinerary had been switched to Jamaica until we were boarding. We were traveling with our two girls (7 & 11) so we were a bit unsettled as we were going to Jamaica with literally no time to investigate anything.

No problem! We booked the Rose Hall Beach Resort excursion ($79/pp) and I highly recommend it!

It is a beautiful resort on the beach... beautiful beach, tons of lounges (no chair hogs here!!),free use of non-motorized water toys (kayaks, sail boats), awesome pool with two water slides, ride tubes down the "lazy river" under waterfalls, swim up OPEN bar :D , hot tubs, free food at the grill... burgers, jerk chicken sandwiches, salads... etc. or the free lunch buffet (unfortunately I didn't hear great things about the buffet) and quick stop at the Half Moon shopping village on the way back to ship.

We had a fabulous day! Our kids are still raving about it!

Definitely stay away from the shops in Montego Bay. The people there were so pushy with everything. I had my 4 year old and two 8 month old babies with our group and I can't remember how many times I was approached by somebody wanting to sell me some weed or something from the pharmacy. I even told one guy no because my kids were with me, and he said well you still need something for your downtime. Needless to say, we went back to ship after about an hour of being off of it and didn't really get a chance to see Jamaica because of the pushy people that are around the port.

where we floated down "The Great River" on bamboo rafts and it was wonderful. The rafts are made of long bamboo that are lashed together and then there is a bamboo seat for two built on to it. The boat guy stands and uses a long pole to propell the raft down the "river". (where I come from we would call this a shallow stream) It was not deep and not fast running water, but very pretty and very educational. Our guide was very knowledgeable about the vegetation. He would stop on the banks of the river and pull a flower for us etc. My husband and youngest son were on one raft and I and my oldest son were on the other. They keep you together.

After the trip, the tour operator picks you up and takes you to a rum tasting demonstration where a guy climbs a coconut tree and grabs a coconut that he opens and everyone can try it if they want to.

All in all, it was a very nice day. We got a flavor of Jamaica without all the hassles.

Thanks for all the Jamaica info. I'm trying to figure out what age is appropriate for Dunn's River Falls or river tubing (with one of the private tour guides)? Has anyone done this with 5 & 7 year olds? :confused: We're open to keeping them on the ship if that's a better option but the adults definitely want to do DR Falls.

Thanks!

We were last in Ocho Rios five years ago. At the time our daugthers were 5 & 9 yr old. We booked with Peat Taylor and went to Dunn's River Falls. We were the first group up the falls that day. Peat made sure we had a guide who would be good with the girls. They both loved it! In fact, we had to find a ship that went to Ocho Rios this spring break (Victory - March 26) because my daughter who was 5 yr old then is now 10 and wants to go back and climb Dunn's River Falls again in the worst way! We're booked with Peat Taylor Tours again at http://www.peattaylor.com This time we are going to a few different spots with him. He is great about personalizing the tour to do what you want to do. Also, when we've gone shopping or anywhere with Peat we never had any problems about being hassled. We WANTED to go through the market at the Falls (Peat asked if we did or not). We didn't have any problems.

Good luck & have fun!

Archived