time changes on ship

Ok, we are going to do a circumnavigate cruise of Australia, Bali and NZ.  Normally we just cruise the caribbean, where you always stay on ship time.  So whatever port you leave out of, that is the time the ship stays on.  Usually you only change 1 time zone, but on this cruise we will be changing quite a few, going ahead a few hours and then back to Sydney (original port we are leaving from) and then behind  a couple hours in NZ.  Thanks for your help!!  Hope everyone is staying safe out there!!

17 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Ok, we are going to do a circumnavigate cruise of Australia, Bali and NZ.  Normally we just cruise the caribbean, where you always stay on ship time.  So whatever port you leave out of, that is the time the ship stays on.  Usually you only change 1 time zone, but on this cruise we will be changing quite a few, going ahead a few hours and then back to Sydney (original port we are leaving from) and then behind  a couple hours in NZ.  Thanks for your help!!  Hope everyone is staying safe out there!!

The answer to your question may depend on the cruise line.  All our cruises have always switched to local time, even in the Caribbean if there was a 1-hour change.  But I have noticed on Cruise Critic that some other cruise lines stay on 'ship time' – it also seems that those are the cruise lines that generate the click-bait videos of people running down the pier as the ship sails away...  [So, I am also flagging this thread so the other mods can decide if there is a forum where you are likely to get more answers than here.]

The four cruise lines I've cruised with in the Australia/NZ region have all changed time zones to match the next port of call. Usually the change is overnight and you will get a reminder in your cabin that evening. The Australia circumnavigation has some half hour changes as well as one hour ones.   

When I did that trip a few years ago we had a total of 9 time changes (if memory serves), into Qld, on the Way to Darwin, West Coast, Adelaide, Melbourne, NZ in two steps, then back to Sydney again in two steps, each time moving to next ports time, when we did NZ last year on Royal Caribbean we were on Port time every day, I think we had four changes two over and two back.

3 hours ago, tribefan said:

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The answer to your question may depend on the cruise line.  All our cruises have always switched to local time, even in the Caribbean if there was a 1-hour change.  But I have noticed on Cruise Critic that some other cruise lines stay on 'ship time' – it also seems that those are the cruise lines that generate the click-bait videos of people running down the pier as the ship sails away...  [So, I am also flagging this thread so the other mods can decide if there is a forum where you are likely to get more answers than here.]

Howdy @tribefan and @Host Jazzbeau  emo22.gif

I see from the signature & previous Roll Call posts the B2B cruises are on RCI so I have moved this thread to the RCI forum. Cruise Critic members that have sailed on Serenade of the Seas in that area should be able to give feedback there.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!  emo35.gif

Happy sails.,

Host Kat emo32.gif

Edited by Host Kat
Typo due to fat fingers & skinny laptop keys!
  • Like 1