What Are The First Few Things You Do When You Board?

kbt2

I think I'm the freak here
\

Nope, I'm the freak. I can't start to relax and enjoy things until I've unpacked my carry-ons and have everything where I want it. Then we go upstairs and eat at the Windjammer, make spa appointments, hit the short excursion desk, then unpack luggage when it arrives.

I just feel a whole lot more zen when I'm not living out of a suitcase.

:o

I know you're going to think I'm strange, but I like to relate certain smells to certain things.....like the smell of a summer rain storm after a hot day, or the first warm sunny spring day after a cold, cold winter....well, cruise ships have that same effect; they just have a certain smell to them that says VACATION (and the dining room has this scent that says "I don't have to COOK for 7 days!) ! So I walk onto the ship, take a deep breath, exhale and go AHHHHHHH.......then we go to our room, drop off our carryons, and head to the deck to grab a drink and explore the ship! We'll have some newbies with us this upcoming trip; so we will explore with them and watch the looks on their faces, makes it that much more fun.

I think I'm the freak here - I can't "relax" and enjoy until everything on my list is checked off - things mentioned such as table arrangements, reservations and muster, hopefully unpacking too but that varies depending on luggage delivery. And again to point out how strange I am, I really enjoy the Muster Drill. There's just something about it that tickles me - probably it's imagining what it would look like in a real emergency compared to what I am seeing during the drill. Am I alone on this or are there others that don't find muster a bother and a bore? Once EVERYTHING is done, THEN I dismiss the child for the week and raise my glass to vacation.

On our 2nd or 3rd cruise we decided to do that "prepared thing" and got out life jackets and took the elevator to our designated spot about 10 minutes early. Clever, huh? Our designated spot was in the pool area, and I took a seat on one of the chairs. Well, the very pushy person in charge of our section told us to start lining up - and I told her that "the bell hadn't even rung yet...and we were the only one there". She got really snotty and eventually called some "head honcho" over there to talk to me. By that time the bell had rung...and people were showing up, and I had started lining up. Well...the "head honcho" is giving me a lecture about the drill like I was a trouble maker or something. Anyway...now...all these cruises later, my DH always tells me to "not make trouble and get us thrown off the ship...when it's drill time.". :(

We try to get on as early as possible. On Mariner this past month 1/22/06 cruise we got on early, about 12 ish and went to our cabin. The steward said it would be fine to drop off the stuff. We changed into swim suits and headed for the windjammer for some food and then off to the pool.

But sadly, it was not a real vacation until we got home and the 2 kids went back to school....then i was alone and at peace...so much for a family vacation! Even with 2 cabins...they were underfoot too much. The are 9 and 11 and hardly went to the camp. Not many kids there and they combined with the younger group and well what can i say.. H and I had one night to ourselves that they went to the camp and we ate alone.... thank goodness for Survivor night at camp! Other than that... they were with us.

I wish RCL would reinstate the coupons for camp time and give out prizes fo the amount of camp time you went to. This worked out much better ( for us) 2 years ago.

I learned a lesson from reading the posts before me. I did not ever think to say, ok kids , in 7 days meet me here....and to up that...I would request a different cabin and not tell them--that would do it!

First thing I did last time and probably will this time too, is go to our cabin, change into my shorts and t-shirt (that are in my carry-on since I left cold temps in Ontario) dump the carry-on there and then off to the Windjammer for a bite (or several hundred bites:) ) to eat.

S.G.

1. Sex (since we had to drop off our carry-ons anyway).

2. Welcome aboard buffet (sure did start feeling hungry)

3. Welcome aboard drink and walk to the cabin (to look out balcony)

4. Sex (just too good to pass up)

5. Dog gone interruptions (emergency drill)

6. Back to the cabin...where was I...sex.

7. Dress for dinner in my best jeans (seem to be hungry again).

8. Dinner (with one of the fashion police)

9. Back to room to change into more comfortable jeans....wait, first sex)

10. Now put on the other jeans and head out for the evening.

11. Enjoy the shows and parties.

12. Finish into the late night with....sex.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, what a fantasy. :D

I check out the ships paper to see if anything is open for lunch other than the buffet. Then I dump my carryons in my cabin head to lunch and then try to get in some ship exploration before it gets crowded.

-Monte

We throw our jeans on in anticipation of formal night.

THEN we tell our four kids they are on their own. We'll see you in seven days. We also tell them to run wild throughout the ship with no regard to others.

We then save a lounge chair by the pool for the entire cruise.

We then plot how we are going to consume 1,469 soft drinks during the cruise using only one soda card.

Lets see ....... is there any other hot button topic I missed?

Dr. E :) ;)

Do you plug in your iron in case something is wrinkled...

On my first cruise, we packed our luggage in the car and didn't open the trunk until we arrived at Port Canaveral, only to find that my stepdad had forgotten my carefully planned suitcase in my bedroom at home eleven hours away! :eek: So I spent the first hours of my very first cruise lying on my bed crying my eyes out, because my cruise was ruined. We ended up getting me some very nice Banana Republic clothes in Key West that my parents would have never bought for me back home ;)

and my parents had my suitcase mailed to Grand Cayman (mucho moola!!), so they definitely made it up to me...but I still really never left my cabin until the third day.

Anyway, I want my next cruise to be very different! Is it overdoing that one of the first things my friend and I intend to do is ride the elevator to the top floor of the ship and walk through each floor of the ship (except for all cabin floors of course) so we know were everything is? I just think that will make it easier from then on...but maybe planning on doing that's a bit much...:o We just don't want to miss anything on a ship as large as the Mariner!

I also board the ship w/ a list of “to do” before I can really relax:

• Board ship as early as we can . . . probably around noon
  • Go to cabin, as soon as possible, to check it out and drop of carry-on
    • Meet cabin steward, or at least leave a note w/ tip
    • Take camera and diagram of ship

[*]Spa to pick up info.

[*]Lunch

[*]Back to spa to tour and book appt.

[*]Tour of ship to get our bearings and take pics

[*]Back to cabin to unpack & make a couple of family calls from my cell phone before turning it off for 7 - 10 days. Usually I’m on the phone w/ my sister when we sail out of cell service.

[*]Now I can totally chill out and relax!

Looking forward to our next cruise . . .

Constellation Oct. ’06 – Western Caribbean

Brilliance of the Seas April ’06 – Panama Canal

Jewel of the Seas Oct. ’05 – Bermuda and Caribbean

Dawn Princess March '05 - Western Caribbean

Caribbean Princess '04 (C752 Cabin off back of ship) - Eastern Caribbean

Island Princess '03 - Panama Canal

Star Princess '03 - Mexican Riveria

Grand Princess '02 - Western Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas '98 - Eastern Caribbean

Well, we try to board as early as possible, and then usually the cabin isn't ready. So off to the Windjammer with all our stuff, where we take turns going up to the line for a light lunch. I then sit in the sun, bathing suit is already on underneath my clothes. Husband (very blonde), sits in the shade while my Italian self soaks up the sun. As soon as the cabin is open we unpack the carry-ons and wait for the big suitcases to be delivered. Usually we have a little drink in the room. Then we relax. As soon as we are able to, we shop in the duty-free shops for liquor, with one bottle of tequila for in-room consumption. Gee, can't wait for April 16th on the Rhapsody.

I never relax till I hit the room. First I refuse the boarding photo op, I always look like heck. We pretty much do not leave the room till the luggage arrives to unpack. Mr DH is a worry wart. We during that time hope to say hello to the cabin steward and make them our new best friend. Those people make a cruise to us.

I do check out where Muster is, we like to be efficient in regards to that event. The cruise does not start for us till we are unpacked and Muster is over. That is zero hour for us till check out, we no longer have a schedule. And at that point life is just a beautiful thing.

For us vacation does not start till every detail is taken care of.

Pick out a good fishing spot off the stern, and drop a line.

Don't forget to put your name down for the 'snorkelling around the propellers' and 'boom netting off the stern' as these are very popular:p :eek:

Archived