Ship modelling

Just wondering how others have been occupying themselves during the cruise drought? With people staying at home and the likes I have gone back to modelling a few ships.

I will add some photos but I am undertaking a task of constructing the WWII Battleship HMS Prince of Wales in 1/350 scale in super detail with wooden decks and brass etched parts. It is quite a job and quite time consuming that requires a lot of patience. The painting is one job that is hard to replicate given the ship had a five colour disruptive pattern at the time of its sinking as part of Force Z. I have managed to acquire the only known exact match to Royal Navy paints used in WWII recreated exactly according to mixing instructions.

I have previously modelled a few ships in the past and enjoy it as a hobby. I only do them in 1/350 scale. Past models included Titanic and HMS Repulse as well as a few other ones that have had significance with my interests in life and Naval history.

Titanic1.jpg

Titanic2.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Repulse.jpg

• Like 1

Wow..Battleship02

Your models are amazing    so the titanic is 2 1/2 feet long.......

Use to do modelling for my Model Railway HO....... but that stopped about 30 years ago...

If one have the room now would love to start it again but not on such a large scale,

as it was under the house in a space about 20 x 10 feet...

Like to do a narrow gauge as had a small narrow gauge section in the corner of the layout...

Cheers and happy modelling

Don 

I wouldn't have the time, patience or ability to do this, but I am more than a little tempted to buy a ready-made display model, something like this Queen Mary 2 . Anyone bought this or similar. I have also looked at ones from non-Australian suppliers, but just have that nagging doubt about damage in transit, though no doubt they know how to pack them.

Thanks for the comments. Out of the liners I have Titanic and Lusitania. It used to be a hobby for very rare free time but ever since the lock down and restrictions I have been spending time at home doing it to stay safe and healthy and replenish the cruise budget for the next holiday.

When I was a teenager, I used to do models, ships, planes, tanks all painted and such. Nothing quite as large as what you have there though. When I was around 20, I do remember tying the planes to fishing line and hanging them from the hills hoist and then spinning it so they were all flying. I then proceeded to shoot them all down using a slug gun. I sort of regret that now but they would been just collecting dust under a house somewhere anyway.