Is it safe to leave cash in your room?

Yancey_Elsa

To be honest, credit cards are much safer than anything when traveling out of the country. You really should bring one just in case. There is a safe in every cabin, and they also have safes at the purser's desk.

There will be a safe in your cabin. If you'd feel better, why not bring the bulk in traveler's checks? They can easily be cashed at the purser's desk. I always take about $30 one dollar bills, which I keep in the top drawer of the dresser - cabins stewards have never touched them.

I am currently taking Hospitality Law and it is always safer to leave valuable valuables at the Service Desk in their safe deposit box because the hotel or cruise line is liable as compared to leaving it in the safe box in your room. I know that sounds weird but that is what my professor has explained to us.

On 4 cruises I've taken $1000.00 in t/c's. Always used the safe, even when I had to pay $11.00 for the damn key for the safe. Never, touch wood, had a problem. Great for jewelry. Now if you buy or bring something very valuable, I believe there is a safe behind the pursers desk. 24 hr. supervision. You're choice.However I wouldn't put yout t/c's in that. too awkward to get to everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

In most cases it is very safe to leave money in your room...most employees would not risk taking anything. But better safe than sorry, lock everything up in the safe that is in all staterooms. If for some reason there is no safe, very old ship or whatever, the pursers office will take your money and hold it.

I am currently taking Hospitality Law and it is always safer to leave valuable valuables at the Service Desk in their safe deposit box because the hotel or cruise line is liable as compared to leaving it in the safe box in your room. I know that sounds weird but that is what my professor has explained to us.

That might be true (especially a hotel room) but I have never worried about using the room safe. I set the combination, my wife knows it (we always use the same combo). It is much more convenient getting a few extra bucks out before going ashore and not having to go to the service desk and waiting in line....;)

Question: Someone mentioned $11. for the safe key. Is there a charge to use the safe?

I'm sure using the safe varies from cruiseline to cruiseline. I've not heard of any charge for using a safe on a cruise... Perhaps using the one at the purser's office, there would be a fee. I don't know.

I can tell you about Carnival. There is no charge to use the safe. The oldest ship, the Holiday, uses a keypad and you make up your own number code. On the rest of the fleet, you use any card with a magnetic strip (but not your Sail & Sign card). Folks use cards like grocery cards, gift cards, library cards, which is what I use. The safe can be opened ONLY using that one particular card.

Cotton,

Thanks for clearing it up about using a card with a magnetic strip. I have read that and I wondered if just any card would work at any time! I'm glad to hear that it just reads one!

I have been going to ask that question, but as usual someone comes through!

Question: Someone mentioned $11. for the safe key. Is there a charge to use the safe?

On Princess they have a key pad on the door. You put in your own combo when you lock it (and it displays your picked combo as you lock it). No keys or dials are involved. :)

The safe is about the size of a six pack. :D

Yes, normally there is a safe in your cabin. And yes, it is safe to leave your money in the safe. Enjoy! :)

Yeah I have a stupid question.....but it's not that stupid really.....

Just wondering how "big" the safes are in the cabins?

Does it depend on what ship you are on? Will be on Norwegian Sun...and wondering how big the safes are. Is it small enough to put just paperwork in? Or big enough to put paperwork and perhaps a camera inside?

I normally leave my cameras in plain sight in the cabin. One time, the steward told me it would be best if I locked them in the safe...?

It held both my camcorder and digital camera, wallet, and papers - with room to spare.

On our last two cruises,we kept a lot of stuff in the safe. My wife usually buys some jewelry,so that naturally goes in there. When we are at the pool,I put my wallet in there,and just keep out the one card I would need to open the safe (Carnival)

I also take some cash and one or two credit cards, a my driver's license when at port. Most places will take credit cards. Also, I have had real good luck in foreign countries using my ATM card for extra cash. Obviously, you will only get that country's currency, but there is only a small service charge and the exchange rate is very competitive.

Archived