Carnival and the CDC

joeyancho

25 minutes ago, DryCreek said:

Read USC Title 42 a little more closely.  Yes, they have broad powers over emigrants and foreign visitors.  They are even given some latitude under the Commerce Clause though.  When it comes to establishing mandatory quarantines for U.S. citizens, they usually defer that to the state level.  It seems to me that here in Texas, should the cruise lines determine to return to service, they should be allowed to - for U.S. Citizens though. 

It is my opinion that much of the CDC recommendations are indeed puffery.  They tend to push regimens that benefit them through their ownership (directly and by committee members) of many patents dealing with transmissible disease prevention.  Link

Nice post.  There are posters here ONLY show up when something negative occurs and the bashing is easy pickings.  Look at their posting history, it is easy to see.  I agree, the CDC has been less than helpful and most of the time appears to be purely punitive in nature.  It would be much impressive to see them working proactively with the cruise lines, possibly wishful thinking on my part.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DryCreek said:

Read USC Title 42 a little more closely.  Yes, they have broad powers over emigrants and foreign visitors.  They are even given some latitude under the Commerce Clause though.  When it comes to establishing mandatory quarantines for U.S. citizens, they usually defer that to the state level.  It seems to me that here in Texas, should the cruise lines determine to return to service, they should be allowed to - for U.S. Citizens though. 

It is my opinion that much of the CDC recommendations are indeed puffery.  They tend to push regimens that benefit them through their ownership (directly and by committee members) of many patents dealing with transmissible disease prevention.  Link

If CLIA and its members thought they had any grounds for challenging the CDC's authority, they've now had more than three months to start litigation ... or orchestrate a public relations war through the GOP Senate and Fox News.

Hasn't happened. And won't.

And here's the dirty secret the cheerleaders don't want folks to know: Donald, Fain, Del Rio and their flunkies don't actually want to start cruising while the pandemic is uncontained. For good reason: the next cruise that turns into a shipload of COVID patients will result in more lawsuits than CCL's beancounters could add up. And the publicity would absolutely be the final iceberg piercing the hull of large-scale cruising.

The cruise lines desperately need: a COVID vaccine, COVID treatment, better and widespread testing. None of which the current federal administration is effectively advancing. 

And to have any hope of safety operating before a vaccine, the cruise lines would need passengers to actually FOLLOW rules about masks and distancing. Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma and a series of others show that's simply not going to happen with the public attitudes right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

If CLIA and its members thought they had any grounds for challenging the CDC's authority, they've now had more than three months to start litigation ... or orchestrate a public relations war through the GOP Senate and Fox News.

Hasn't happened. And won't.

And here's the dirty secret the cheerleaders don't want folks to know: Donald, Fain, Del Rio and their flunkies don't actually want to start cruising while the pandemic is uncontained. For good reason: the next cruise that turns into a shipload of COVID patients will result in more lawsuits than CCL's beancounters could add up. And the publicity would absolutely be the final iceberg piercing the hull of large-scale cruising.

The cruise lines desperately need: a COVID vaccine, COVID treatment, better and widespread testing. None of which the current federal administration is effectively advancing. 

And to have any hope of safety operating before a vaccine, the cruise lines would need passengers to actually FOLLOW rules about masks and distancing. Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma and a series of others show that's simply not going to happen with the public attitudes right now.

Interesting perspective. I have been wondering why CLIA and the cruise lines haven't been pushing back harder at the CDC. We have had a whole host of industries here who sued the state to re-open. Generally the governors office worked with them and permitted to re-open once they sued, they didn't have to win. I would think that the cruise lines have sufficient lobbying power to get something done above the CDC's head. But perhaps you are correct and they really aren't trying that hard.

• Like 1