Shorex Frustration!

Okay, so I'm booked and paid in full for my April 7 Monarch cruise...

We've done this route before several times...We've seen the Bufadora, the Folklorico show and the Convention Center, we've shopped in town and had our Margaritas at Hussong's...

The shore excursions typically offered in the port of Ensenada are typically uninspiring...

The "usual" list is:

La Bufadora & Mexican Folkloric Fiesta, 5 Hours 29.00

Ensenada City & Mexican Fiesta, 4 Hours 29.00

La Bufadora Tour, 3 Hours 19.00

Calafia Valley Wine Country, 4 Hours 29.00

Mexican Folkloric Fiesta & Shopping Tour, 3 Hours 30 Minutes 21.00

Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Course, 6 Hours 111.00

Fox Studios Foxploration, 5 Hours 30 Minutes 31.00

Baja Whale Watch, 4 Hours 30 Minutes 52.00

Bufadora Bay Kayak, 4 Hours 65.00

Last time we sailed the Monarch, we took the Winery Tour...and enjoyed it...So my wife said, let's take the Winery Tour again...

So, I go onto the Royal Caribbean website, go to the "book shore excursions" page, click on Ensenada...and, lo and behold, only TWO shore excursions show up: The Whale Watch and the Kayak trip...

Hard to believe they're offering only two shore excursions on this cruise...So, I'm thinking there's two possibilities--1) the excursions just haven't been released yet (hard to believe with the cruise less than 2 months away) or 2) All of the other excursions are ALREADY sold out (hard to believe when the final payment due date is like right now).

So, I called Crown & Anchor...

After all, I'm a Diamond Level member and one of the Diamond level benefits is:

"Priority wait list for sold-out shore excursions"

At least, hopefully, they can tell me whether or not the Winery Tour is actually "sold out"...

They can't...

They send me to "Shore Excursions"...Who, basically, tell me they know nothing--except that if it's not on the website, they can't do anything about it...and suggest I just wait until I get on the ship...

I explain that the cruise is a short cruise...We'll be boarding around 5:00 pm on Friday and we arrive in Ensenada early the next morning...And I don't want to wait until that soon before to know whether or not we have anything to do in the port...

So, what benefit is there to "priority wait list" if they can't even tell you if the excursion is scheduled or sold out?

Well...during most of the time I've been writing this rambling rant, I've been on the phone with Royal Carribbean...and now they've told me that the two excursions showing are the only two they've ever posted...and that they MAY have other posted around the first of March...

That seems simply amazing since they run these cruises to Ensenada twice a week YEAR ROUND...

Anyone else done this cruise recently that's booked a shore excursion?

Thanks for "listening"...

Ensenada is not a big draw for excursions-so many people like me take the same Monarch cruise often cuz we live in LA and have limited choices to cruise without flying-I don't even get off the ship in Ensenada, neither do a lot of others, so they offer very little in excursions-most like to stay on board at the pool cuz the cruise is so short.

Sorry.:(

We have cruised the beginning of October and it has to do with Quarters. They try to book excursions for 3 month blocks. If the contracts aren't completed yet the excursions won't appear on the web. I was told it could be as late as 20 days prior to sailing.

I know it is hard just wait and keep looking everyday. Maybe the one you want will be brought back.

Okay, so I'm booked and paid in full for my April 7 Monarch cruise...

We've done this route before several times...We've seen the Bufadora, the Folklorico show and the Convention Center, we've shopped in town and had our Margaritas at Hussong's...

The shore excursions typically offered in the port of Ensenada are typically uninspiring...

The "usual" list is:

La Bufadora & Mexican Folkloric Fiesta, 5 Hours 29.00

Ensenada City & Mexican Fiesta, 4 Hours 29.00

La Bufadora Tour, 3 Hours 19.00

Calafia Valley Wine Country, 4 Hours 29.00

Mexican Folkloric Fiesta & Shopping Tour, 3 Hours 30 Minutes 21.00

Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Course, 6 Hours 111.00

Fox Studios Foxploration, 5 Hours 30 Minutes 31.00

Baja Whale Watch, 4 Hours 30 Minutes 52.00

Bufadora Bay Kayak, 4 Hours 65.00

Last time we sailed the Monarch, we took the Winery Tour...and enjoyed it...So my wife said, let's take the Winery Tour again...

So, I go onto the Royal Caribbean website, go to the "book shore excursions" page, click on Ensenada...and, lo and behold, only TWO shore excursions show up: The Whale Watch and the Kayak trip...

Hard to believe they're offering only two shore excursions on this cruise...So, I'm thinking there's two possibilities--1) the excursions just haven't been released yet (hard to believe with the cruise less than 2 months away) or 2) All of the other excursions are ALREADY sold out (hard to believe when the final payment due date is like right now).

So, I called Crown & Anchor...

After all, I'm a Diamond Level member and one of the Diamond level benefits is:

"Priority wait list for sold-out shore excursions"

At least, hopefully, they can tell me whether or not the Winery Tour is actually "sold out"...

They can't...

They send me to "Shore Excursions"...Who, basically, tell me they know nothing--except that if it's not on the website, they can't do anything about it...and suggest I just wait until I get on the ship...

I explain that the cruise is a short cruise...We'll be boarding around 5:00 pm on Friday and we arrive in Ensenada early the next morning...And I don't want to wait until that soon before to know whether or not we have anything to do in the port...

So, what benefit is there to "priority wait list" if they can't even tell you if the excursion is scheduled or sold out?

Well...during most of the time I've been writing this rambling rant, I've been on the phone with Royal Carribbean...and now they've told me that the two excursions showing are the only two they've ever posted...and that they MAY have other posted around the first of March...

That seems simply amazing since they run these cruises to Ensenada twice a week YEAR ROUND...

Anyone else done this cruise recently that's booked a shore excursion?

Thanks for "listening"...

Your list is what mine shows as far as excursions on our March 10th (3day) Monarch. However, maybe it's because you are traveling over Palm Sunday? Only thing I can think of.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Hey, Bruin Steve -- I almost had a chance to finally meet you, as we were thisclose to booking this same cruise! I was going to take it to give my teenagers a reward for some really great grades recently. We had to drop it when I had a new client give me deadline for that time period.

Anyway, we did this Monarch cruise a couple years ago. As I recall, some excursions were available on board that were NOT listed anywhere before we left. We got in line at the tour desk and signed up once we were onboard. We got the ones we wanted (La Bufadora was one) but they all filled up pretty quick. Maybe you'll be able to get what you want if you go straight to the tour desk as soon as you get on board.

Guess I'll have to wait for some future cruise to meet the guy who made my day in Barcelona last year one my best port stops EVER! :)

LeeAnne

We'll be on the Monarch Feb 27 (4-day) and I just booked our excursion online thru Royal Caribbean today. All of the shore excursions are listed on the website, we chose Ensenada City & Mexican Fiesta (we have done La Bufadora twice before) with no problems. But, we are only 3 weeks out from this cruise, so maybe that's why we could book excursions now.

Try again tomorrow or next week when it's a little closer to your cruise date - good luck!

Hey, Bruin Steve -- I almost had a chance to finally meet you, as we were thisclose to booking this same cruise!

I'm sorry to hear you had to drop it...It would have been nice to meet you...

I hope that client pays you enough to take an even longer and grander "replacement cruise"...Of course, living so close, maybe we have met...and just don't know it!

When we did the Monarch 2 years ago, we booked this one online...So, I'm still hoping it pops up sometime between now and then...I hate having to do anything when I board...I want to start relaxing right away...

Well, not to get too far off-topic, but what we booked instead was a 7-day Rhapsody cruise for us and the kids in August. And DH and I are headed off to Costa Rica on Windstar in three weeks! I'll take both those cruises over the Monarch any day. ;) But the Monarch is fun for a little weekend getaway.

I do hope you are able to book your tour onboard, and that you don't have to wait too long in line.

LeeAnne

Ensenada, Mexico Excursions Price/Person (USD)

Adult Child

La Bufadora & Mexican Folkloric Fiesta

Approximate Duration: 5 Hours 29.00 20.00

Ensenada City & Mexican Fiesta

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 29.00 20.00

La Bufadora Tour

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 19.00 13.00

Calafia Valley Wine Country

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 29.00 18.00

Mexican Folkloric Fiesta & Shopping Tour

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes 21.00 17.00

Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Course

Approximate Duration: 6 Hours 111.00 111.00

Fox Studios Foxploration

Approximate Duration: 5 Hours 30 Minutes 31.00 26.00

Baja Whale Watch

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 30 Minutes 52.00 36.00

Bufadora Bay Kayak

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 65.00 65.00

Mexican Folkloric Fiesta & Shopping Tour

Approximate Duration: 3 Hours 30 Minutes 21.00 17.00

Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Course

Approximate Duration: 6 Hours 111.00 111.00

Fox Studios Foxploration

Approximate Duration: 5 Hours 30 Minutes 31.00 26.00

Baja Whale Watch

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 30 Minutes 52.00 36.00

Bufadora Bay Kayak

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 65.00 65.00

I just a few minutes ago went to RCI's website and searched Shore Excurison's.

The above is what I found. Maybe everyship doesn't offer all of theses but......Is this the Wine tour you want? "Calafia Valley Wine Country

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 29.00 18.00"

Don

...I just a few minutes ago went to RCI's website and searched Shore Excurison's.

The above is what I found. Maybe everyship doesn't offer all of theses but......Is this the Wine tour you want? "Calafia Valley Wine Country

Approximate Duration: 4 Hours 29.00 18.00"

Don,

You get all of those when you search in the "Browse" section...

It's the "Book" section that gets entirely different...

Yes, that's the tour...it's just that "you can't get there from here"...

Also, Tracey, I know Ensenada isn't all that exciting and there are a lot of folks who stay on the ship...but, it's not a "cruise to nowhere"...If they make a port stop, they ought to offer something...

Unlike a lot of other ports, there aren't a lot of private tour operators to sign up with in Ensenada either...

We figure that we'll be on the ship from Friday afternoon through Monday morning...that's enough "at sea" time for us...

Archived