Sunny side of ship

I am Sailing from Singapore to Sydney in December 2022

can anyone tell me which side of the ship will have the sun the most of the time 

i prefer sun in th afternoon on my balcony

thank you 

The starboard side will get the afternoon sun when the ship is heading on mostly southerly bearings. However on a good part of that voyage, as the ship goes towards Darwin then across the top of Australia, the afternoon sun will be mostly aft as the ship will be sailing on easterly bearings.

Actually even when travelling on easterly courses you should get some afternoon sun on the starboard side as you are leaving Singapore just when the sun will be in it's most southerly aspect.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Just remember that you will be sailing in the tropics and the sun can be pretty fierce. Are you planning on being out on your verandah? Do you enjoy sun rises or sunsets? A couple of points to consider.

Personally for me, I don't think it matters a great deal because I prefer to not be in my cabin during the day which means I can always find a place on the ship that suits my "sun" mood.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Just remember that you will be sailing in the tropics and the sun can be pretty fierce.

I agree. I had a rear balcony on Noordam from Sydney to Fiji a few years ago. On the way to Fiji the course was basically easterly, so that in the afternoons the sun would come straight in on the half covered balcony. The glass doors would get so hot you couldn't touch them and I had to close the curtains on the windows to keep the heat from the glass radiating into the room. You could not go out on the balcony for more than a few moments before the heat would drive you back inside.

I do not underestimate the power of the sun. It's shade, not sun, we should be looking for.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Starboard will get most of the sun, although it will be quite high until late in the afternoon/evening, personally I would go for the port side.

Same here. I like to see sunrises at sea from my cabin because I only see sunsets when home. Also I'm usually having dinner at about sunset time at sea.

• Like 1