NCL: Solo Supplement Discount Fares

farmersfight

It's definitely been awhile now, but I think I remember that NCL had solo supplement discount fares on a lot of their cruises. In a previous format, NCL would indicate the cruises with the solo supplement discount with the annotation: "solo discount". For whatever reason, NCL changed the format and those solo supplement discounts no longer appear. Has anybody else noticed this? And perhaps, why?

I recently priced a 14 day Hawaii to Tahiti cruise on the Norwegian Jewel for 1 person (as well as for each person based on double occupancy). The fare for 1 person was 2X as high, so there was a 100% solo supplement (no discount). I know the larger/newer (BA, BA+ class) NCL ships have the studio cabins & studio lounge for solos, but I am more interested in the larger staterooms with my own balcony. As I recall, you used to be able to find certain NCL cruises that had the solo discount for such balcony staterooms.

12 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

It's definitely been awhile now, but I think I remember that NCL had solo supplement discount fares on a lot of their cruises. In a previous format, NCL would indicate the cruises with the solo supplement discount with the annotation: "solo discount". For whatever reason, NCL changed the format and those solo supplement discounts no longer appear. Has anybody else noticed this? And perhaps, why?

I recently priced a 14 day Hawaii to Tahiti cruise on the Norwegian Jewel for 1 person (as well as for each person based on double occupancy). The fare for 1 person was 2X as high, so there was a 100% solo supplement (no discount). I know the larger/newer (BA, BA+ class) NCL ships have the studio cabins & studio lounge for solos, but I am more interested in the larger staterooms with my own balcony. As I recall, you used to be able to find certain NCL cruises that had the solo discount for such balcony staterooms.

I doubt that you'll see solo discounts for this type of cruise any earlier than 2-4 weeks prior to sail date. You know that Hawaii, south pacific in general are very popular cruises, right?  So, if things are back to normal by late this year/early next year, this cruise could fill up quickly.  

Normally, true solo discounts with 0 supplements are to get those empty cabins filled, unlikely situation here.  

Good luck though, I'll be watching these cruises as well. Would love to do the 14 day cruise on the Jewel. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I doubt that you'll see solo discounts for this type of cruise any earlier than 2-4 weeks prior to sail date. You know that Hawaii, south pacific in general are very popular cruises, right?  So, if things are back to normal by late this year/early next year, this cruise could fill up quickly.  

Normally, true solo discounts with 0 supplements are to get those empty cabins filled, unlikely situation here.  

Yeah, so true. Especially when cruises start back up again (with or without a vaccine), there's a lot of pent up cruising demand out there so no reason for NCL to offer solo supplement discounts.

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, farmersfight said:

They redesigned the website sometime late last year or early this year (time has no meaning anymore...) and the solo cruiser "S" tag disappeared. Very annoying. When I booked my NCL Joy January 2020 cruise, it had the S tag and was indeed nicely discounted. I'd originally booked a balcony but the price kept dropping and who am I to resist the allure of a mini-suite? Heck, if I had known that would be the last cruise for a long while, I would have put in a bid for The Haven.

Now we have to scroll TA websites or do a ton of mock bookings to find those discounts. However, I suspect they'll be scarce for a while on NCL.

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, in three instances I booked Studios and then a week before (sometimes I should have waited a few more days) I was able to upgrade to a Balcony for anywhere from $50,$100 or $200 depending on the week. These were typically NYC to Bahamas or Bermuda. I was on a Canada/New England where the ship was sold out so wasnt able to upgrade.

I had a studio for this year but of course cruise didn't happen- it was on the Encore not sure if it would have been higher demand 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, HowardK said:

Hello, in three instances I booked Studios and then a week before (sometimes I should have waited a few more days) I was able to upgrade to a Balcony for anywhere from $50,$100 or $200 depending on the week. These were typically NYC to Bahamas or Bermuda. I was on a Canada/New England where the ship was sold out so wasnt able to upgrade.

I had a studio for this year but of course cruise didn't happen- it was on the Encore not sure if it would have been higher demand 

Thanks @HowardK. Q: when you got to upgrade from a studio to a balcony (for $50, $100 or $200) did the upgrade include the solo supplement discount or did NCL just upgrade you with a sharp discount because they were trying to fill up the ship at the last minute? I heard that NCL is one cruise line that does offer last minute discounts, so that is good to know because that is the way I want to book (last minute). I get too excited and anxious about an upcoming cruise to have to wait a long time for it to happen, lol.

Btw, how did you like NCL's studio cabins? Not sure but I guess I could try the experience (and try the studio lounge experience) but personally, I will preferably have a balcony. Much more room than those what, 99 sq ft studio cabins with no portholes, windows or balconies? Even regular balcony cabins are not that big, so they are still perfect for solo's who want more room (& their own balcony, of course). I'm very curious about and would like to book one of RCI's Quantum-class ships that have studio cabins with balconies. These seem to be the perfect fit for what I am looking for. Just wish RCI did more of them across the newer/bigger ships in their fleet. But, as far as being "solo friendly" the nod still goes to NCL, imho.

Take care.

Edited by farmersfight

@farmersfight, you're welcome. I admit that it took me a while to read the guidelines as well, no rush, but can sometimes be helpful, is all.  

As far as WF goes, yes, I saw the pic; thought I'd liked it but maybe not,  too busy with the "yikes factor", LOL.  

My first solo cruise was Oct. 2017, had a great time on the Sun from San Fran. to MIA.  Great cruise. 

Just want to add about the cabins. I've never done a studio cabin, actually never done an inside either though I think I'd be ok in either just haven't felt the urge to try one.  I agree with @HowardK about upgrading to a balcony but from a studio you can only do it by calling NCL/TA.  Those in studios aren't offered the Upgrade Advantage where you can just bid to upgrade. 

Anyway there's lots of time to decide what you're doing.  I'm also stashing money away for my next cruises so good chance I'll  be doing a few cruises next year once the vaccine arrives.  Biggest problem with vaccine is not really the creation of it, IMO, but the distribution of it. 

• Like 1

@farmersfight  I paid the margin between what I paid and the last minute price of the cruise. 

i.e. last time it was $50 to cover the difference from the Studio to the current price of the Balcony.  Then it was $20 because the drink price increased. However, I got a second promo so it was worth it.

One time I had a studio for $545 on the breakaway- it was a freak midwinter sale- then got a Balcony for $800- it was a $245 margin -had I waited 2 more days it would have been $50 only.

My favorite cruise I was on - the Epic in 2011 I had a Studio. My last cruise in 2018 to the Escape was in a Studio but I did not enjoy it (fall of 2018) as I did not enjoy the people as much as the other cruises. Plus, there were problems getting towels and getting my room cleaned so it soured the studio a little.

The in between 4 times I had a balcony- it was totally worth the $100-$250 upgrade. More space to spread out, a sofa, and the outdoor space to look a the ocean.

When I return I'll do the same thing.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@farmersfight, you're welcome. I admit that it took me a while to read the guidelines as well, no rush, but can sometimes be helpful, is all.  

As far as WF goes, yes, I saw the pic; thought I'd liked it but maybe not,  too busy with the "yikes factor", LOL.  

My first solo cruise was Oct. 2017, had a great time on the Sun from San Fran. to MIA.  Great cruise. 

Just want to add about the cabins. I've never done a studio cabin, actually never done an inside either though I think I'd be ok in either just haven't felt the urge to try one.  I agree with @HowardK about upgrading to a balcony but from a studio you can only do it by calling NCL/TA.  Those in studios aren't offered the Upgrade Advantage where you can just bid to upgrade. 

Anyway there's lots of time to decide what you're doing.  I'm also stashing money away for my next cruises so good chance I'll  be doing a few cruises next year once the vaccine arrives.  Biggest problem with vaccine is not really the creation of it, IMO, but the distribution of it. 

I agree- it is going to be a waiting game. And then a settling time, where enough people would need to get it or have cases drop so i could feel safe returning.

I'm not famliar with upgrade advantage-so don't know if its the same thing as this:

On my Escape 2 years ago I could bid on the Haven starting at $400 but would have had to pay 2x $800 total min.

so I felt $100 was bettter just to move to the Balcony

• Like 1

The Breakaway had some studio sailings I had been interested in- I would have gone on these even without upgrade possibility -I liked the ship a lot. Multiple venues for me to play the piano at and Spice H20

They had a May14 to May 23rd one to Southern Carribbean, some Canada/New Englands and some 7 day Miami ones.

I was unhappy that my 7 day Encore I had booked this year to Bermuda is not offerred going forward. (They had some 5 days for this fall).

My hope and guess, is when things improve I'll find a studio sailing from NYC last minute or by then maybe just book balcony directly within a week of sailing- because after all of this I'm not inclined to stay in a studio

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I agree- it is going to be a waiting game. And then a settling time, where enough people would need to get it or have cases drop so i could feel safe returning.

I'm not famliar with upgrade advantage-so don't know if its the same thing as this:

On my Escape 2 years ago I could bid on the Haven starting at $400 but would have had to pay 2x $800 total min.

so I felt $100 was bettter just to move to the Balcony

It sounds like it's the same, however, pre-C19, you could only bid on 2 levels up, so inside to balcony, balcony to haven.  If studios were permitted to upgrade using the Upgrade Advantage program,  then I think that may have changed last year or so.  I've never used the UA program. If I want a balcony, I book it LOL 😉

Stay safe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

One time I had a studio for $545 on the breakaway- it was a freak midwinter sale- then got a Balcony for $800- it was a $245 margin -had I waited 2 more days it would have been $50 only.

Thanks. As @All-ready2cruise mentioned, did you have to call NCL or your TA to get the upgrade from a studio to a balcony?

4 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

you could only bid on 2 levels up, so inside to balcony, balcony to haven. 

Hi @All-ready2cruise, a quick question; if you are booked in a balcony and use the Upgrade Advantage program to bid on a Haven, what happens if your bid is not successful? Are you out any $$? Or, is there no risk of losing any $$ for bidding?

It would be awesome to successfully bid on a Haven from a balcony and have that Haven suite all to yourself as a solo!

20 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Hi @All-ready2cruise, a quick question; if you are booked in a balcony and use the Upgrade Advantage program to bid on a Haven, what happens if your bid is not successful? Are you out any $$? Or, is there no risk of losing any $$ for bidding?

It would be awesome to successfully bid on a Haven from a balcony and have that Haven suite all to yourself as a solo!

Quick answer, if you bid to upgrade to any level stateroom and it is not successful, it costs you nothing.  You lose nothing. 🙂

No risk at all! My issue is only that you do pay double even if the ship is whining for more sales.... you still lose nothing.  If you win, you do pay double but is clearly noted when you bid. 

Cheers

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Quick answer, if you bid to upgrade to any level stateroom and it is not successful, it costs you nothing.  You lose nothing. 🙂

No risk at all! My issue is only that you do pay double even if the ship is whining for more sales.... you still lose nothing.  If you win, you do pay double but is clearly noted when you bid. 

Cheers

Thanks. How about if you booked a balcony with a solo supplement discount? Do you get to keep the discount if you get the upgrade to say The Haven? I'm guessing, probably not. That would be pricey if you had to pay double on a Haven suite. Ouch.

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks. How about if you booked a balcony with a solo supplement discount? Do you get to keep the discount if you get the upgrade to say The Haven? I'm guessing, probably not. That would be pricey if you had to pay double on a Haven suite. Ouch.

What you acquired your balcony cabin for has nothing to do with your bid to upgrade to the Haven. The Upgrade is based solely on the amount you're bidding.  So, if you bid, I think the minimum I've seen to go from balcony (4 of my 5 solo cruises have been balconies)  has been $500 pp, you'd be looking at $1000 total; however, that's the minimum and that's rarely a winning bid for a Haven.  

Just a for instance: I've booked a Haven in May 2022 b/c it's a significant year for me.  If I wanted to go from a balcony to a HI, smallest Haven stateroom, I'd need to bid close to what that stateroom is going for... probably $1000 pp.  It might save me  a few/more hundred or I might lose out and not get a haven cabin.  The thing is, you need to track the cost of the stateroom you from the get-go in order to know if it's a good deal or not. 

For me, on this pre-mentioned cruise, I feel like I got a good deal with the 15% discount and the amount of FCC I applied and the FAS offers I receive with the booking.  I'm not in the same league as BQ but that's OK. Plus, I'm Platinum so I get the free laundry and 2 free dinners which usually share with other solo cruisers etc.  I cruise to  meet other  wonderful pax and enjoy the cruising experience itself. 

Let's put it this way, on a cruise, I sleep 10-12 hrs a night, compared to 5-6 hrs at home... it's a good thing.. love it!

HTHs 

Cheers

Connie

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

What you acquired your balcony cabin for has nothing to do with your bid to upgrade to the Haven. The Upgrade is based solely on the amount you're bidding.  So, if you bid, I think the minimum I've seen to go from balcony (4 of my 5 solo cruises have been balconies)  has been $500 pp, you'd be looking at $1000 total; however, that's the minimum and that's rarely a winning bid for a Haven.  

Just a for instance: I've booked a Haven in May 2022 b/c it's a significant year for me.  If I wanted to go from a balcony to a HI, smallest Haven stateroom, I'd need to bid close to what that stateroom is going for... probably $1000 pp.  It might save me  a few/more hundred or I might lose out and not get a haven cabin.  The thing is, you need to track the cost of the stateroom you from the get-go in order to know if it's a good deal or not. 

For me, on this pre-mentioned cruise, I feel like I got a good deal with the 15% discount and the amount of FCC I applied and the FAS offers I receive with the booking.  I'm not in the same league as BQ but that's OK. Plus, I'm Platinum so I get the free laundry and 2 free dinners which usually share with other solo cruisers etc.  I cruise to  meet other  wonderful pax and enjoy the cruising experience itself. 

Let's put it this way, on a cruise, I sleep 10-12 hrs a night, compared to 5-6 hrs at home... it's a good thing.. love it!

HTHs 

Cheers

Connie

Thanks Connie, very helpful information. I think I got what you have told me. So, as I understand it, usually a winning upgrade bid from a balcony to a Haven is $1,000 pp (at least?) and as you said, you have seen such winning bid for as low as $500 pp (rare). As a solo, I would have to double each winning bid so, $2,000 total in the usual case and $1,000 total in the rare case. I guess my question still is, the $2,000 total (or $1,000 total in the rare case) is the cost of the upgrade only. You would have to add this upgrade cost to the cruise fare for a balcony (with the cruise fare of course dependent on the length of cruise, itinerary and ship)? If you got your booked balcony with a discounted solo supplement, that discounted cruise fare would not change and you would just add on the total cost of the upgrade you won with a winning bid? Hope I'm not confusing myself, lol.

One thing I have noticed since I joined CC, is that there are some serious cruisers out there (with many cruises under their belt). If you are Platinum, I guess you fall into this category. As a new retiree, cruising is how I want to spend my new found freedom & time. I'm a U.S. state maritime academy grad and have worked on ships and smaller craft (supply boats) plus sailed on our training ship. So, needless to say, I love ships so cruising is a perfect fit for me in retirement. Some day, I want to be like you and get to Platinum and maybe even whatever level BQ is at! I won't bother you by asking you what it takes to get to Platinum, I can look it up on the NCL website.

I'm guessing that you sleep 10-12 hrs a night on a cruise because the ship is rocking you to sleep and keeping you asleep, lol. Ever since I've retired, even though I can now sleep in every morning as late as I want, I am for some reason, waking up at 4:30 to 5:30 am every morning. I do however, usually go back to bed a take a "nap" for a couple of more hours.

Apologize for this lengthy reply (I sometimes tend to run on). Oh, I wanted to ask you, what does "FAS offer" mean and what does "HTHs" mean? O.k., enough questions right? Woops, there's another question.

Again, thanks for the great information! Take care and cheers* also.

* I intend on doing a lot of "cheering" on my future retirement cruises.

Marty

• Like 1

Good morning Marty, and you're welcome.  

I'll answer a couple of easy questions first:  HTHs - hope this helps, FAS - free at sea, so the drinks pkg, specialty dining pkg, etc. 

The upgrade advantage doesn't become available until after final payment (I should have mentioned that before.)  So, you decide what you feel comfortable paying over and above your final payment.  Yes, whatever you bid will be doubled regardless if your fare was a special solo rate or not.  The UA program is taken care of by a 3rd party, so not NCL.  That's why I suggest you keep an eye on the pricing.  Sometimes it's less expensive to call NCL rather than take a chance on winning a bid to a balcony, as you can imagine, they are very much sought after.

As far as status on NCL, I've only been cruising since 2012, however, some of the cruises were in suites which really adds to the numbers to go from bronze to platinum quicker. After Platinum, NCL really doesn't add many perks anyway. 

Here's the link to the Latitudes program: https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program

Budget Queen is a very serious cruiser, I don't attempt to keep up with her. LOL The most days/year I've done is 25 and that was a b2b. I'd like to do between 20?  - 25 per year. 

It sounds like you've had an interesting life.  So, when you said you could use Morse Code, I guess you were serious, weren't you? My late DH taught many skills to 2-way radio users.  He also taught classes for the local Power & Sail Squad which included all types things to do with pleasure boating.  We owned our own boat for quite a few years and enjoyed sailing on the near-by lakes. 

I'm from the east coast originally, been in Ontario since I was very young though. I've been a nurse, a special needs teacher and an internet tech support rep for a large US cable company.  

I'm not trying to compete with anyone on any level but I hope I've answered most of your questions.  

If you have more, just ask, it's not a problem at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Good morning Marty, and you're welcome.  

I'll answer a couple of easy questions first:  HTHs - hope this helps, FAS - free at sea, so the drinks pkg, specialty dining pkg, etc. 

The upgrade advantage doesn't become available until after final payment (I should have mentioned that before.)  So, you decide what you feel comfortable paying over and above your final payment.  Yes, whatever you bid will be doubled regardless if your fare was a special solo rate or not.  The UA program is taken care of by a 3rd party, so not NCL.  That's why I suggest you keep an eye on the pricing.  Sometimes it's less expensive to call NCL rather than take a chance on winning a bid to a balcony, as you can imagine, they are very much sought after.

As far as status on NCL, I've only been cruising since 2012, however, some of the cruises were in suites which really adds to the numbers to go from bronze to platinum quicker. After Platinum, NCL really doesn't add many perks anyway. 

Here's the link to the Latitudes program: https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program

Budget Queen is a very serious cruiser, I don't attempt to keep up with her. LOL The most days/year I've done is 25 and that was a b2b. I'd like to do between 20?  - 25 per year. 

It sounds like you've had an interesting life.  So, when you said you could use Morse Code, I guess you were serious, weren't you? My late DH taught many skills to 2-way radio users.  He also taught classes for the local Power & Sail Squad which included all types things to do with pleasure boating.  We owned our own boat for quite a few years and enjoyed sailing on the near-by lakes. 

I'm from the east coast originally, been in Ontario since I was very young though. I've been a nurse, a special needs teacher and an internet tech support rep for a large US cable company.  

I'm not trying to compete with anyone on any level but I hope I've answered most of your questions.  

If you have more, just ask, it's not a problem at all. 

Hi Connie and again, thanks for your reply. Hmmm...HTH - Hope this helps. Never seen that before but it may come in handy here on CC in the future. FAS - Free at Sea. I should've figured that one out, lol. Thanks for clarifying both.

Thanks for the further info on the UA program. Since the UA program is taken care of by a 3rd party, can you bid online on the NCL website? By calling NCL, is that a way to get a better deal and a way outside the UA program (I think that is what you meant)? I can see why balconies are very much sought after and I'm sure raises the winning bid amount(s). I think I am like you and will just book a balcony and perhaps try to upgrade either through the UA program or by calling NCL direct, as you suggested. Don't think I will want to book an OV or an inside and hope to get upgraded to a balcony. I'd rather lock in a balcony for sure (and hopefully, with a solo supplement discount or just an overall good deal).

Thanks for the link to NCL's Latitudes Reward Program - I will check it out.

Yeah, Budget Queen is for sure a very serious cruiser (which I want to be, lol). Also, Bird Travels. They are both a wealth of info about cruising. I've noticed other serious (veteran) cruisers here on CC, as well. Wow, 25 days on a B2B. That's the kind of cruising I want to do. I've set a self-imposed minimum of 12 days for any cruise I will book. I don't want to have to spend the $$ to fly to a cruise port (i.e. Miami or Ft. Lauderdale) for just a typical 7 day cruise, for example. Not enough cruise time to justify the cost of the airfare, imho. However, I will look at B2B's on 7 day cruises to make it a 14 day cruise which meets my 12 day minimum requirement. Your goal of doing 20-25 cruises per year seems like a really good goal - works out to about 2 cruises per month on average. Sounds good to me.

Funny what you said about the Morse Code and it took me a second to realize that you tied my use of the words morse code with my actual life experience in the maritime field. Actually, you are spot on because as part of my 3rd Mate's (3rd Officer) examination with the USCG, I had to do what they call the "blinker light". Blinker light is literally a little machine that blinks out light flashes in morse code. I had to watch the light flashes (or "blinks") and decipher the morse code it was transmitting. Looking at it now, this was an "ancient" method of communicating with all the communication technology on board ships now. But, if your ship lost power and lost the emergency generator, you could still use a held held morse code flashing device to communicate with other ships in the vicinity. To tell you the truth though, I don't think morse code (blinker light) is even on the USCG license exams anymore and probably not being taught at the maritime academies anymore either.

With what your late DH did wrt boating and you guys owning your own boat (I assume a sailboat as you mention "sailing"), I can see why you love the water & therefore, cruising. I once owned a power boat (32 ft Wellcraft) but never again. I learned my lesson--> don't own a boat, lease or rent only. When I owned this boat one of the engines blew and it had to be totally removed from the boat to be repaired. Needless to say, it cost me big $$. That's why the old adage says: "A boat is just a hole in the water where you throw your money". I learned the hard way that this is indeed true. I sold the boat immediately after the engine was repaired and reinstalled.

You said you're from the east coast originally. Was this the Canadian or U.S. east coast? I know there are some U.S. citizens that do relocate up to Canada (and have dual citizenship, I think?).

Yes definitely, you have answered my questions and I appreciate it. Again, sorry if I've written another mini-novel here in this reply.

Take care and again, cheers!

Marty

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Hi Connie and again, thanks for your reply. Hmmm...HTH - Hope this helps. Never seen that before but it may come in handy here on CC in the future. FAS - Free at Sea. I should've figured that one out, lol. Thanks for clarifying both.

Hi Marty, you're welcome again 😉

Thanks for the further info on the UA program. Since the UA program is taken care of by a 3rd party, can you bid online on the NCL website? By calling NCL, is that a way to get a better deal and a way outside the UA program (I think that is what you meant)? Correct!  I can see why balconies are very much sought after and I'm sure raises the winning bid amount(s). I think I am like you and will just book a balcony and perhaps try to upgrade either through the UA program or by calling NCL direct, as you suggested. Don't think I will want to book an OV or an inside and hope to get upgraded to a balcony. I'd rather lock in a balcony for sure (and hopefully, with a solo supplement discount or just an overall good deal).

Good idea to lock in your balcony. 

Thanks for the link to NCL's Latitudes Reward Program - I will check it out.

Yeah, Budget Queen is for sure a very serious cruiser (which I want to be, lol). Also, Bird Travels. They are both a wealth of info about cruising. I've noticed other serious (veteran) cruisers here on CC, as well. Wow, 25 days on a B2B. That's the kind of cruising I want to do. I've set a self-imposed minimum of 12 days for any cruise I will book. I don't want to have to spend the $$ to fly to a cruise port (i.e. Miami or Ft. Lauderdale) for just a typical 7 day cruise, for example. Not enough cruise time to justify the cost of the airfare, imho. However, I will look at B2B's on 7 day cruises to make it a 14 day cruise which meets my 12 day minimum requirement. Your goal of doing 20-25 cruises per year seems like a really good goal - works out to about 2 cruises per month on average. Sounds good to me.

👍

Funny what you said about the Morse Code and it took me a second to realize that you tied my use of the words morse code with my actual life experience in the maritime field. Actually, you are spot on because as part of my 3rd Mate's (3rd Officer) examination with the USCG, I had to do what they call the "blinker light". Blinker light is literally a little machine that blinks out light flashes in morse code. I had to watch the light flashes (or "blinks") and decipher the morse code it was transmitting. Looking at it now, this was an "ancient" method of communicating with all the communication technology on board ships now. But, if your ship lost power and lost the emergency generator, you could still use a held held morse code flashing device to communicate with other ships in the vicinity. To tell you the truth though, I don't think morse code (blinker light) is even on the USCG license exams anymore and probably not being taught at the maritime academies anymore either.

Yeah, years ago, even to  get your 2-way radio license you had to know MC, DH started in HAM radio when he was very young and became quite the leader. 

With what your late DH did wrt boating and you guys owning your own boat (I assume a sailboat as you mention "sailing"), I can see why you love the water & therefore, cruising. I once owned a power boat (32 ft Wellcraft) but never again. I learned my lesson--> don't own a boat, lease or rent only. When I owned this boat one of the engines blew and it had to be totally removed from the boat to be repaired. Needless to say, it cost me big $$. That's why the old adage says: "A boat is just a hole in the water where you throw your money". I learned the hard way that this is indeed true. I sold the boat immediately after the engine was repaired and reinstalled.

Right, we sold the boar b/c we wanted to do more travelling. It was nothing for us to take off and travel for 3-6 weeks at a time. Once, we even included a cruise in our travels, was lots of fun. 

You said you're from the east coast originally. Was this the Canadian or U.S. east coast? I know there are some U.S. citizens that do relocate up to Canada (and have dual citizenship, I think?).

I'm was born in Cape Breton, near the Fortress of Louisbourg.  

Yes definitely, you have answered my questions and I appreciate it. Again, sorry if I've written another mini-novel here in this reply.

Take care and again, cheers!

Marty

Trying something a little different this time.  My answers are in red. HtHs.  

Cheers 

Connie

• Thanks 1

@farmersfightSorry Marty, I realize I didn't fully answer your question about how the UA works.  Yes, everything is done online for the bidding.  You might receive an email or it might just show on your NCL account, either way, you'll be able to check the various cabins and decide if/what you want to bid.  There'll be a graph which will allow to select the stateroom and the am't bid; if your bid is accepted, your CC will be charged and you should receive an email letting you know the details. Somewhere around 48 hrs prior to the cruise you'll know whether you got it or not.  

It must be 5 o'clock somewhere... cheers 😉

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Hi Marty, you're welcome again 😉

👍

Right, we sold the boar b/c we wanted to do more travelling. It was nothing for us to take off and travel for 3-6 weeks at a time. Once, we even included a cruise in our travels, was lots of fun. 

I'm was born in Cape Breton, near the Fortress of Louisbourg.  

Trying something a little different this time.  My answers are in red. HtHs.  

Cheers 

Connie

Hi Connie, thanks for your reply and answers (i like the red lettering). I had never heard of Cape Breton so I had to Google it (& used wikipedia). That definitely answers what east coast you were referring to. It's no wonder you like cruising, ships and the sea - it looks like Cape Breton, NS has a strong maritime (shipping) heritage and connection. I have actually visited Nova Scotia before. One summer, our training ship (Texas Clipper) made a port call at Halifax, NS.

Oh btw, I know you (like me) like to book balcony cabins, even as a solo cruiser. Have you ever heard about or seen RCL's studio balcony cabins on their Quantum-class ships (Quantum OTS, Anthem OTS, Ovation OTS, Spectrum OTS and the new Odyssey OTS)? I'm interested in a 12 day southern caribbean cruise on Anthem OTS (in a studio balcony, of course) r/t from Bayonne, NJ. Also, RCL will be home porting the new Odyssey OTS in Port Everglades, Fla so I was also interested in an 8 day eastern caribbean cruise on her. Per my self-imposed 12 day minimum rule, I would have to do a B2B on her, so it would be a 16 day cruise. I think I read that even though the Odyssey OTS is in the Quantum-class, she is a little bigger than her sisters. Hmmm...interesting.

Take care and again, I appreciate all your replies, information and answers to my questions.

Cheers!

Marty

3 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Hi Connie, thanks for your reply and answers (i like the red lettering). I had never heard of Cape Breton so I had to Google it (& used wikipedia). That definitely answers what east coast you were referring to. It's no wonder you like cruising, ships and the sea - it looks like Cape Breton, NS has a strong maritime (shipping) heritage and connection. I have actually visited Nova Scotia before. One summer, our training ship (Texas Clipper) made a port call at Halifax, NS.

Oh btw, I know you (like me) like to book balcony cabins, even as a solo cruiser. Have you ever heard about or seen RCL's studio balcony cabins on their Quantum-class ships (Quantum OTS, Anthem OTS, Ovation OTS, Spectrum OTS and the new Odyssey OTS)? I'm interested in a 12 day southern caribbean cruise on Anthem OTS (in a studio balcony, of course) r/t from Bayonne, NJ. Also, RCL will be home porting the new Odyssey OTS in Port Everglades, Fla so I was also interested in an 8 day eastern caribbean cruise on her. Per my self-imposed 12 day minimum rule, I would have to do a B2B on her, so it would be a 16 day cruise. I think I read that even though the Odyssey OTS is in the Quantum-class, she is a little bigger than her sisters. Hmmm...interesting.

Take care and again, I appreciate all your replies, information and answers to my questions.

Cheers!

Marty

In truth, I've never considered RCL as a solo or otherwise.  I'll have a look though. If the solo balconies are good, it may be worth it.