The Dawn in Winter – Blogs – shoreguy – 02/12/2006 Western

shoreguy

It looks like he will be onshore for at least 2 years - I have been told he wants to get his green card. I hear bells:D
Shoreguy

I'm glad your having a great time. I want to thank you for making my first cruise experience a great one. I felt like a expert cruiser before I left land.

If it wasen't for you we would have been lost at sea.Thanks again.

Also if you run into Denny on this cruise tell him Robbie and Donna & Donna & Donna says hello. Yep 3 Donna's all in one villa.

Time to catch the bus to the beach……

Back from Tabyanana Beach – GSC on steroids – With only one ship in port today it was a relaxing day. Had one period of rain for about 15 minutes. I good news drinks are cheaper then the ship and the beach area is very spacious. Lunch – the hotdogs were the best, chicken ok, hamburgers were made from sawdust. Lots of fresh fruit and for those that can not get enough carbs – spaghetti marinara

Returned to the ship and decided some time relaxing in the forward hottub was in order. It is their I met one of I am sure many disgruntled passengers. I had the chance to enjoy a verbal CC thread. He plans to contest the charge for the cruise upon return, call CNN, and demand a free cruise. We had the “contract” discussion. He has already managed to get upgraded from an inside to an AF. I asked what beyond the $200 plus a suite that as a value of perhaps $2000 more then his cabin he expected. The answer I don’t pay for chicken when I order steak. Nothing less then another free cruise for this “NIGHTMARE”.

I tried to explain he was free to try but don’t be surprised if he does not get the outcome he expected. His answer and it all came together – “I have done this before and gotten free cruises and I will again….

Exit the pool – too much stress.

In general the weather has been very good. Sun most of the day in all the ports. Seas have been calm. Leaving on Monday has turned out in my view a blessing. Yesterday was the first sunny day in a while in Jamaica. Today was excellent.

Food in general has been fine. Breakfast buffet – make sure you check out each line. Different options. Some have waffle stations only. Some have the egg and omlette stations. One line had the herring another smoked salmon.

Joel Leader comedy ventriloquist tonight.

I have not spent much time at Gatsby’s – I find the music of Selwyn Wright just not to my taste. Rhythm Explosion is fine for Caribbean Music. Modal Magic is good as well.

So glad to hear you're continuing to have a great time!

Sorry you had to endure the hot tub "diatribe". I figured eventually you'd run into someone like that. :mad: so sad that people have to be that way.

Keep up the great blogs! We're counting down the days till you return. :D

Give my regards to all the Screwballs, and make sure you guys leave the ship in good shape for us! ;)

Hey Shoreguy,

Hope you continue to have a great time. Glad to hear Modal Magic is still on the Dawn. We enjoyed them so much last year and hoped they'd be on the ship when we go this April. They had such a high energy level in their performances.

As to the guy in the hot tub... I'm convinced there must be a website out there that tells people how to get free and discounted cruises by complaining loudly. :rolleyes: On our cruise last year, we ran into a remote acquaintance who said he was getting a 50% discount on his next cruise because of the rough ride one night on our cruise. He was not in the least embarassed about it and said " I do this all the time!:eek:

Well find another hot tub and enjoy!

Judy

I will say this much.

If this person is having such a nightmare cruise then why don't they disembark ASAP and come back home?

Tonight it's freezing at Gibson Island, the ICE warning light is flashing on the electric panel (as a reminder to make sure those Gast regen blowers are bubbling around the hull), the windows are icing up and my stateroom is a balmy 55F. The Espar diesel heater is running tonight ($10/night) too keep things warm.

This guy is eating good food tonight while I'm eating chicken noodle soup heated over an alcohol stove. I've gotten perhaps four hours sleep in the past two days because of force ten winds blowing. Shall I continue? I'd trade places with him in an instant. Nightmare? Gimme a break!

Cheers,

Norman

p.s. The forward hot tub is nice. When we got in it was so windy there was whitecaps (in the hot tub!) and it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep towels around. Again, I'd rather deal with that then have someone complaining. NCL should give them a full refund and blacklist his name and share with other lines as well.:mad:

I don't won't to hijack Shoreguy's wonderful thread with legalese stuff (and politics!) but...

There is some of this stuff going on and that's about all I'll say here. :)

Cheers,

Norman

Excellent news! ;) Keep an eye on the weather and if there's anything we need to know, would ya pop over to my rollcall and let us know! :eek: Thanks! :)

Shoreguy it's great to be able to hear about your cruise...I am especially excited because I am doing this itinerary on March 5, and plan to go to Tabyana beach. Did you snorkel there, or have you talked to anyone who did snorkling at the beach? If so how was it (abundance of fish, clarity, currents, etc?) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up this great blog!! I read this thread daily for updates :D

I met one of I am sure many disgruntled passengers. He plans to contest the charge for the cruise upon return, call CNN, and demand a free cruise. We had the “contract” discussion. He has already managed to get upgraded from an inside to an AF. I asked what beyond the $200 plus a suite that as a value of perhaps $2000 more then his cabin he expected. The answer I don’t pay for chicken when I order steak. “I have done this before and gotten free cruises and I will again….

Wow!!! At least you're not stuck at the same table with him every night!!!!

As a result of a snowstorm the ship arrived late in NYC. It also left late, at approximately 2100 EST but had insufficient fuel -- apparently fuel could not be delivered while at the pier. The ship dropped anchor in the harbor and was met by a fuel barge at in the early morning hours. The delay caused uncertainty with the itinerary -- it appears the stop at Grand Stirrup Cay was cancelled.

from

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Sorry you had to endure the hot tub "diatribe". I figured eventually you'd run into someone like that. :mad: so sad that people have to be that way.

Ah but isn't there one in every crowd?

They are Kinda like opinions, too bad you had to get a big one!

Great Blog! :D

What's worse than listening to the complainers, is the realization that these 'complainers' may get additional compensation. And we're paying for their free cruises or refunds!

Thanks for all the info in this thread; we were on the 'same' Dawn cruise for 2004 and 2005, and very lucky with the weather, but opted for Hawaii on NCL PoAm in Oct. this year. We empathize with every one of you either arriving or departing during the horrendous blizzard conditions. But, we're looking at returning for Feb. 2007, back on the Dawn.:D

Haven't been spending much time on the boards lately but when I came across your daily blogs from the Dawn...I just had to read them all!

As I read through them, I can see the Dawn in my mind. Brings back lots of wonderful memories...such a beautiful ship.

Sounds like you are having a great time and it's wonderful your camera showed up!

I will be on the Jewel 3/5 & can't wait. I'm sure it will be strange after being on the Dawn 8 times. I was looking forward to seeing Klaus... so friendly and so on top of everything. I can understand fully why NCL has him training their crew. The amazing crew on the Dawn was the #1 reason I sailed on her so many times.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!:)

Excellent--like that Seinfeld episode in which Elaine discovered that "difficult patient" appeared on her medical records and followed her from doctor to doctor!

People like this need to have bad marks put somewhere. Some would make the rubber stamp cry as in twelve card bingo: cover 'em all for the win! :p

Haven't heard an update in a while...

So will the last stop be CZM? Three days at sea to return Thursday? That sounds sooo nice. Sea days are THE prime time of a cruise. Well that's my opinion based on lots of experience and I'm sticking with it. :)

Cheers,

Norman

Hi Shoreguy.

I am enjoying your cruise updates ... I have been on the Dawn twice and will be going on the 3/26 to 4/6/06 cruise next month ... but I am getting my cruises mixed up ... one cruise ship did not have a hair dryer in the stateroom ... and I was wondering if it was the Dawn ... I went on their website, but couldn't find any information ... keep in mind I will be in an inside cabin (nothing fancy) ... and I just hate to pack things I don't need.

Thanks so much ... and keep enjoying that cruise.

Lorraine

Norwegian Dawn (3/06)

Voyager of the Seas (10/05)

Carnival Legend (5/05)

Grandeur of the Seas (10/04)

Norwegian Dawn (5/04)

Norwegian Dawn (10/03)

Grand Princess (10/02)

Voyager of the Seas (4/02)

Explorer of the Seas (11/01)

Big Red Boat - Disney Cruise (1/90)

Oceanic (9/81)

Starward (5/74)

Rotterdam (10/72)

Bremen (10/70)

Oceanic (9/69)

I was wondering where he was too.

Maybe the angry hot tub guy and the drunk bar girl got together and he had to break it up?:eek:

Shoreguy's exact location, probably in a bar....:D the Dawn is between Roatan and Belize City.

AHTG and DBG deserve each other :p

Actually, the Dawn has just left Cozumel, and is now speeding northward to pick up those of us fortunate enough to be boarding her on Thursday! :D

Just keep her happy(Dawn) cause I'm a going after you. The ship has been notified and is ready for The Dawn Crazy Cruisers Part III:o :rolleyes:

Archived