The Dawn in Winter – Blogs – shoreguy – 02/12/2006 Western

shoreguy

The Dawn in Winter – Blogs – shoreguy – 02/12/2006 Western

02/11/2006

Dateline Aug 27,2004, Alaska, onboard the NCL Sun booked an Aft facing BA for a cruise to the Western Caribbean that would be my 4th early February cruise on the Dawn.

16 months later, 13,000 posts on the roll call, and upsell to an AB I am ready to go. Tomorrow will be the day that everyone feared when they said NCL was crazy to sail out of NYC year round. How often do you get blizzard conditions in NYC. One thing for sure I will be one happy sailor when I get to the ship.

Members of the roll call are scrambling from all over the northeast to get to NYC. Some have already made it and are tucked away in hotels. Some are on planes now hoping the weather holds.

I have a 40 mile drive in the morning and the thought of it is sucking a lot of the joy out of this cruise. Bags are packed. Car is loaded. Now it is just a matter of finding a hole in the storm.

When I get to the pier I will try and connect to the WiFi and start the fun part of this winter’s blog from the Dawn.

Those returning are in for a shock. It was almost 60 F when they boarded. I hope they still packed their winter coats , hats and gloves.:eek:

Later.

Shoreguy... I cannot wait to read your blogs.

Does anyone who has been on the Dawn know how luggage works? NCL doesn't provide tags ahead of time... so do porters not take the bags from the cabs? Are the bags checked when we check in? (Our friends will be on this sailing.)

Also, how has NCL handled snow storms in the past? Do they wait for flights?... what if flights into the NY area are canceled?

Thanks and enjoy!

-Matt

Hey Shore Guy!!

We, 13 of us, took the Western Caribbean on 1/22. We had a ball ! Good Luck getting there! How many of you are going? Maybe you should stay in the city! Fortunately we lucked out with great weather for embark and disembark and throughout the cruise! Do you have plans for each port?

Have a great time!

Yo Ho SG!

Have a great time, knowing you, weather should not be a factor......if it is, just another anecdote for the blog.

Just remember, Adventure is the biggest part of Mis-Adventure, wow, don't we know......

Looking forward to pre-living our 11 day through you and your crew :D

Fair Winds,

Shoreguy... I cannot wait to read your blogs.

Does anyone who has been on the Dawn know how luggage works? NCL doesn't provide tags ahead of time... so do porters not take the bags from the cabs? Are the bags checked when we check in? (Our friends will be on this sailing.)

Also, how has NCL handled snow storms in the past? Do they wait for flights?... what if flights into the NY area are canceled?

Thanks and enjoy!

-Matt

By Sunday morning, there won't be any flights coming into the New York area. If you didn't fly in on Saturday, you won't be landing in New York on Sunday. There may quite a few upgrades unless some people opt to fly to Jamaica and join the Dawn in Ocho Rios?

Dear all,

We've had a great cruise. I am sitting in the internet cafe about 500 miles from NYC. The captain announced that we will more than likely be at the harbor by 8am ....HOWEVER.... the winds are going to be so strong that they do not know if it will be safe to dock right away. Also, many crew that are replacements have not been able to arrive either from points in the US or in Europe. I am sure that they will get some of the crew to remain, though.

My husband and I have cruised before, and this has been the best vacation of our lives. Wonderful crew, phenomenal facility, great new friendships. The best to all of you and my appreciation for all the wonderful tips that made our trip superb (including being in the forward Jacuzzi as we sailed past the Statue of Liberty with icicles forming in our hair!).

GOOD LUCK and GOD BLESS,

MsFrasier

This is a first ... not only should you FLY to the port the day before, but should have DRIVEN the day before!

Just started lightly here in Westchester NY a few hours ago - looking for a good 6 -12 inches!

Shoreguy, I'm sure you don't need any words of advice to deal with all of this, have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Freestyling Shoreguy :D :D

We've enjoyed reading your posts and appreciate all the information you provide. It has really helped us plan our trip on the Dawn on March 26 :) Keep it coming! I hope you get to enjoy all the perks Intrepid Guy did...you deserve it.

Safe sailing,

Kathy & Paul

Hello Shoreguy

It must have been wierd to be on a ship with snow on the deck. you have good timing to beat the snow.

We are considering booking a cruise for next January/February out of New York and can't decide. The Noordam will have a large ENCLOSED pool area that will allow you to swim and lay out for the three to four days at the beginning and end of the cruise. Or do we take the Dawn and stay inside for that time period? What has it been like in the cold weather? Is the indoor lap-pool area packed? Have a wonderful time.

Thanks

The first picture of my "cruise" - we are getting there one scoop at a time. On the road in about 30 minutes. That gives me 5-6 hours to go 40 miles. Sure glad I keep the Audi Allroad when the lease ran out. I will need it today

Good luck on the road. Take some pictures of the snow covered ship.

Archived