The Dawn in Winter – Blogs – shoreguy – 02/12/2006 Western

shoreguy

Hey thanks for those links

I have been following this all day. I know the dawn web cam has had the same image all afternoon so the new links really help. I am sure many of the 2/12 gang are up in the star bar sipping martinis so we will have to wait and see when the dawn leaves with these new links.

So, Shore guy, we know that you made it! Good for you but what about everyone else? How many no-shows? Just to let you know, my oldest son left an hour ago to go SKIING!!! He Called to say that he got to the slopes ok. Keep us posted!:D

Shoreguy! You have had me on pins and needles all day! I am so glad that you made it safe and sound to the ship! My husband kept asking why I kept returning to computer...I said I had to check on you! A few hours ago, he reminded me to check again. We know what it is like to travel in 25 inches of snow...prefer it more than ice! Now that I am done being worried about you, I can't wait to hear about your trip! HAVE A GREAT TIME AS I KNOW YOU WILL!

Coka

I'm amazed that the picture I posted above has been updating itself. I never expected to do that. By the way i just copy and pasted the picture into my reply.

There are several ways to get the picture locations. If it's embedded in a java applet it's a little more difficult to get then right clicking and copying the location.

HINT: If the picture updates on refresh (F5) you can add the location to an active desktop (web) location and have the image on your desktop. I have three monitors and have many images viewed like this. Many are weather related. ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Thanks Jackie, he is indeed a true gentleman!

Trina,

Yes, he certainly is that. I asked him if he had a picture of his daughter and he brought them to show us. He was so proud of his little girl and also brought a picture of his wife. He is definitely a keeper.

Still searching for our next cruise.

Jackie :cool:

Shoreguy - just wanted to let you know I LOVE reading ALL your post. i was on the Spirit on 1/8/06 for 11 nights EXCELLENT - been on the Dawn 2x. I'm so glad you made

it safe and hope everyone else did. Very excited to see your LIve a review - Thanks again for all your info. We were on the rough seas cruise on the Spirit that made the NEWS. Looks like you have a big fan club weasLee enjoy your posts.

Cruise 48 times so far and not stopping.

Spirit again on 11/19/06 same cruise AGAIN.

I hope it is smooth sailing.

Dave

Hopefully, Shoreguy, you are enjoying yourself already.

It would not matter to me if the ship I was on sailed late. Just being on the ship is the best part.

Shoreguy!!!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!!!!! and thanks for all you do.

Jeanne

Some family of mine just called us after one of the most aggrivating days they had in a long time.

They are celebrating their 49th anniversary. They arrived at the pier at 1 p.m. They stood in line for 1.5 hours and then were told they could sit down. A bag with medicine and cameras instantly disappeared. They looked all over. They ran around. They received no help at all. They ran in the snow to another pier. They ran back and searched all over. People were upset because NCL boareded in an unfair order (not in the order whcih people arrived at the pier). At 7 pm someone told them their bag was on the ship. Once on the ship, they were told they did not have their bag. They rode the elevator and searched with a crewmember, and finally their bag was discovered. They went to their room, and their ship gift cirtificate was not in their stateroom.

They are going to dinner right now. They were going to go home, but stuck with the Dawn. Hopefully things will turn around for them, and this will be a great vacation.

I will post any ship updates (they are not supposed to leave until morning).

-Matt

We are going on the Spirit 8 day cruise on8/19/06. It is definately more expensive than a Fall cruise. The reason is that in the Fall, less people get away for vacation so they are better off offering cheaper fares so they can try to fill the ship. In August, the kids and teachers are still out of school so the ship fills up much faster and for higher prices.

Jeanne

We are going on the Spirit 8 day cruise on8/19/06. It is definately more expensive than a Fall cruise. The reason is that in the Fall, less people get away for vacation so they are better off offering cheaper fares so they can try to fill the ship. In August, the kids and teachers are still out of school so the ship fills up much faster and for higher prices.

Jeanne

I have lived in NJ all my life, and my second cruise was on a HAL to Bermuda in 83. I've been trying to do another cruise from NJ/NYsince. When you compare pricing/itineraries and then add airfare- you're still stuck with cruising out of Fla- unless the Fla-Bahamas rings your bell, OR you can cruise other than summer/ holidays and Spring break. It really is frustrating

Ah!!! Whoever took those shots of the Dawn leave - bravo! Great shots! I remember sailing out of NY in January. Man, it was cold! I don't think I've ever been that cold in my life! I'm a So. Cal gal, born and raised. Anything under 60 is too cold for me. Manhattan in January is unbelievable!

You go, Shoreguy! Have a grand voyage!!!

At anchor – 10:15 – 02/12/2006

Check out the south cam on the Empire state came still see the Dawn. No fuel no where to go. Since so much of the port was closed we are at anchor waiting for the fuel barge. Plans are to leave the harbor in the morning.

I will spend so time tomorrow describing the embarkation this year. Let me say this much if the CC members had not been proactive the suite passengers waiting upstairs would have been the last to board. Thank you Amy.

Once the problem was identified the onboard staff did everything to fix it.

Great spot for pictures but alas no camera. I got great shots of the crew removing the snow from the pool deck, the mob scene at the pier and headed of to the Star Bar to meet others from the roll call. Closed for private party. Headed to Spinnakers for the welcome aboard party (not the sail away party).

Dinner in impressions – prime rib and it was as good as ever. Service perfect .

The captain announced we would leave the pier at 9 and anchor by the Statue of Liberty to meet the fuel barge at 1 am. They are working on the revised itinerary with Miami.

Alex as been wonderful so far as the Concierge. He shared the fuel issue early and has bent over backward to make sure we were happy. A true gentleman.

Back to the camera. My bad. I left on the table in Spinnaker. I went back after dinner and they said yes it was there and a passenger found it. They told him to take it to reception. It never made it to reception. Had a discussion with security and the bar staff wondering why if they new it was not the passengers property they would trust them to return it. The net it is day one and I have no camera. Could be an interesting CC meeting in the morning. I gave the problem to Alex. I don’t need the stress.

The $200 question does the winter weather guarantee apply if the ship departed at 9 but never really departed NY. Should be an interesting food fight in the am. Maybe passenger will stage a protest or threaten not to get off the ship when we return.

FYI – the Dawn is in great shape. Bar setup in my cabin. Platinum Lattitudes on my card and on my door.

The very best think today – a bottle of red wine in my cabin and a hand written note from Ada and Steve who just got off the ship thanking me for my help. Alex even stopped by to make sure I received it. Makes all the time I spend here trying to be of some value mean something.

Shoreguy--

As I was reading your post I was thinking the same exact thing....if you left the pier, but are sitting in New York Harbor, does it apply? Should be a very interesting situation--can't wait to hear THIS one!

I sure hope that camera shows up. NCL should give you a new one if it doesn't for all your positive PR you give them on these boards.

Curiously awaiting your updates....in case you don't know, Central Park broke the NYC single snowfall record--I think it was 26.9 inches.

Robin

Shoreguy--

As I was reading your post I was thinking the same exact thing....if you left the pier, but are sitting in New York Harbor, does it apply? Should be a very interesting situation--can't wait to hear THIS one!

I sure hope that camera shows up. NCL should give you a new one if it doesn't for all your positive PR you give them on these boards.

Curiously awaiting your updates....in case you don't know, Central Park broke the NYC single snowfall record--I think it was 26.9 inches.

Robin

Alex just called for the time on my bar bill - they are in fact doing everthing posible - currently reviewing the security tapes.In the end it is my fault

Archived