The Dawn in Winter – Blogs – shoreguy – 02/12/2006 Western

shoreguy

So glad to hear some news from you! I've been watching the bridgecam, and knew that you hadn't left the harbor, but couldn't find you on any of the ESB cams.

So sorry to hear about your camera, and really hope it's located tonight! ;)

Many of us are anxious to hear about whether or not you'll receive the winter weather guarantee. Logic says you should, but we're all wondering if logic will prevail! :confused:

Hope everyone on the rollcall made it onboard, and that you're all enjoying yourselves. Really glad to hear that your first meal was up to standards, too!

Have a wonderful time, and keep us advised! :) Happy sailing to all the screwballs.

Hi Shoreguy,

As everyone else is saying, thank you for posting your blog. It was very exciting to watch the drama unfold from home. I do hope your camera is recovered soon.

I have a question...why wouldn't The Dawn spend the night at the pier to wait for the fuel? I would certainly prefer to be anchored in the harbor, but I am wondering if there is a logical reason to be anchored rather than docked.

Have a wonderful cruise!

ShoreGuy,

I am happy to hear that you have received the winter weather guarantee (WWG) credit. This was a smart move by NCL after all of the hassles passengers went through to get to the ship today (many in near blizzard conditions). Since New York is a core market for NCL I can understand why they want the passengers to be happy and have delivered the WWG before 12 hours has past. Granted more than likely you won't leave until after 12 hours and will therefore have a modified itinerary but just think you will be heading to warm and tropical weather. Also, shoreguy can you comment on the passenger load for this sailing. Did many people make the ship or is it relatively empty due to all of the flight cancellations? My assumption is that it would be relatively full since many passengers hail from the New York metro area or close by. Have a wonderful cruise and I look forward to your updates. Also, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your camera but hopefully NCL will be able to retrieve it for you.

Hi Shoreguy,

I have a question...why wouldn't The Dawn spend the night at the pier to wait for the fuel? I would certainly prefer to be anchored in the harbor, but I am wondering if there is a logical reason to be anchored rather than docked.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Port charges????

At anchor – 10:15 – 02/12/2006

Great spot for pictures but alas no camera. I got great shots of the crew removing the snow from the pool deck, the mob scene at the pier and headed of to the Star Bar to meet others from the roll call. Closed for private party. Headed to Spinnakers for the welcome aboard party (not the sail away party).

Back to the camera. My bad. I left on the table in Spinnaker. I went back after dinner and they said yes it was there and a passenger found it. They told him to take it to reception. It never made it to reception. Had a discussion with security and the bar staff wondering why if they new it was not the passengers property they would trust them to return it. The net it is day one and I have no camera. Could be an interesting CC meeting in the morning. I gave the problem to Alex. I don’t need the stress.

Shoreguy,

Have a wonderful cruise! Looking forward to reading your upcoming posts. Hope the camera turns up.

Sorry to hear about the camera. It's on the ship somewhere. It's got to show up! I'm guessing your media (card) was in it at the time too? (with all your pix?) :(

Congrats on the WWG.

I'm sure the complainers will be howling in a few hours. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Norman

I'm sure the complainers will be howling in a few hours. :rolleyes:

interested to see if any place blame on NCL for the weather *grin*

****EDIT****

I worked at a front desk of a hotel for Disney for a few years, I do remember people blaming us because the weather was bad. That is the only reason I post this question.

I'm so sorry to hear about your camera. Alex was our concierge on the Dawn last August. He bent over backwards to help us with anything we needed. Hopefully the tape will turn up the person who took it.

I also just wanted to say, Im glad you made it to the pier, and the ship has at least pulled away from the pier. A rocky start to any vacation, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end. The Dawn was the BEST cruise we have ever taken.

Leaving in the AM is better IMO. :)

I'm sure there will be complainers as the "other half" of the WWG is disembarkation with full credit for another cruise within a year. Why someone would want to do that is beyond me but that is that as they say.

Cheers,

Norman

Hi Shoreguy,

As everyone else is saying, thank you for posting your blog. It was very exciting to watch the drama unfold from home. I do hope your camera is recovered soon.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Not me, I'd rather spend the evening/night looking out over the lights of NYC and seeing the Statue of Liberty, then docked at a pier overlooking a billboard and some parked cars ...

Good point nj cruisers. I thought security too...maybe?

P&O is the Port Manager for the NYC Pier. I Believe the rate is about $3000.00

per hour. Guess who own's P & O. ???? Carnival Cruise Lines !!!!

Shoreguy Hi!

I hope you get your camera back soon. I'm sure everyone will have many questions so if you have time.. can you find out from Alex if he'll still be on the ship for the April 26th cruise? We had him for 3 days last year when Claudio then came on the ship mid-week. Also, who is your butler? If you have Carmen say hi to her from Monty & Diane.

Thanks, and have a great time. :D

Shoreguy Hi!

I hope you get your camera back soon. I'm sure everyone will have many questions so if you have time.. can you find out from Alex if he'll still be on the ship for the April 26th cruise? We had him for 3 days last year when Claudio then came on the ship mid-week. Also, who is your butler? If you have Carmen say hi to her from Monty & Diane.

Thanks, and have a great time. :D

Originally Posted by MermaidMomma

Hi Shoreguy,

Have a wonderful cruise!

Posted by TrinaLC

"Not me, I'd rather spend the evening/night looking out over the lights of NYC and seeing the Statue of Liberty, then docked at a pier overlooking a billboard and some parked cars ..."

Hi Trina,

I think you misread my post ;) ...But hey! Congratulations! You won the bet!! What do ya get? I wonder when The Dawn will set sail now? Is she still waiting for fuel? Does anyone have any more information?

<-- waving at shoreguy...

I'm over in 1 World Financial Center... wishing I was aboard...

The head of security on The Dawn was very nice to my mother in law when she was aboard in October last year... she "lost" her watch in the spa, when they mistakenly removed her clothes from her locker (they game the key out twice)...

I see that the fuel barge is along side... and hopefully you'll be underway soon!

Bon Voyage!

Archived