Valencia a classic Spanish city.

DavietheScot

• 3 months later...

Valencia is the third largest city in Spain, the Capital of the amazing Communidad Valenciana, which includes the Famous Costa Blanca and its resorts, but also Alicante.

Valencia is a truly amazing city, well worth spending several days in. 
Do not miss the Old centre with the Mercado Central , which is MUCH more authentic than the popular mercado on the Barcelona Ramblas.

Also the Ciudad de Sciencias by Calatrava is a must is you love modern architecture.

for lunch, there is only one option: the only  AUTHENTIC Paella.

try it at Playa Malvarossa for a beach view ( La Pepica is the most famous resraurant, but is touristy), although in the centre, you have better restaurants.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2021 at 9:14 AM, Despegue said:

Valencia is the third largest city in Spain, the Capital of the amazing Communidad Valenciana, which includes the Famous Costa Blanca and its resorts, but also Alicante.

Valencia is a truly amazing city, well worth spending several days in. 
Do not miss the Old centre with the Mercado Central , which is MUCH more authentic than the popular mercado on the Barcelona Ramblas.

Also the Ciudad de Sciencias by Calatrava is a must is you love modern architecture.

for lunch, there is only one option: the only  AUTHENTIC Paella.

try it at Playa Malvarossa for a beach view ( La Pepica is the most famous resraurant, but is touristy), although in the centre, you have better restaurants.

Would agree with your suggestions as I say in the blog its a great cityvwith much to offer. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have spent two full days in Velencia on cruises and thoroughly enjoyed both of them, to the extent that we are thinking we might return for a few days on a land trip as there are also  nearby towns which are easily visited.

It is a city which we thought had a good ratio of locals to tourists (and local businesses to tourist businesses) so it didn't feel overwhelmingly touristy.   And  because of the same mix of working town/tourist town, it wasn't overly expensive either.

So much to see here that for a one day stop you will need to plan your day quite carefully, but I  think you will enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Edited by edinburgher

• 1 month later...
On 6/26/2021 at 4:32 PM, edinburgher said:

Have spent two full days in Velencia on cruises and thoroughly enjoyed both of them, to the extent that we are thinking we might return for a few days on a land trip as there are also  nearby towns which are easily visited.

It is a city which we thought had a good ratio of locals to tourists (and local businesses to tourist businesses) so it didn't feel overwhelmingly touristy.   And  because of the same mix of working town/tourist town, it wasn't overly expensive either.

So much to see here that for a one day stop you will need to plan your day quite carefully, but I  think you will enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Agree with you it is a great city to visit for a few days, we have done that and enjoyed it. Also it is a good base to explore the wider Valencia region.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good news for anyone visiting now is the restrictions have almost all been lifted and this city as like much of Spain is now beginning to return to normal with toursist and cruiseing returning we have just returned from a short trip there and it was great to see life back in this great location. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We're coming on NCL Getaway on Dec. 9, for 6am-2pm.  May only have time for 1/2 day (49 euro) rather than full day tour (69 euro).  We're looking at the excursion offered by

Spain day tour.  Has anyone been on the tour with them and can comment?  Thanks.

Description from Spain day tour:

The full day tour starts with a pickup at the port followed by a drive to Sagunto. Discover the fiery history of this place and see incredible Roman and Moorish remains. The Roman influence can be seen in the beautiful Teatro Romano whose original structure housed up to 6,000 spectators. Built in the second century, this beautiful amphitheater has undergone careful restoration and is still in use today. It is well worth visiting just for the surrounding views of the dramatic cliffs and castle.

There is some attractive architecture around the Plaza Mayor, including the beautiful gothic Santa Maria Parish church which dates all the way back to 1334 and is decorated with gargoyles. The oldest Christian church is the 13th century Iglesia del Salvador. The remains of a complex series of Arabic walls can also be found around the city and a stroll through La Judería, or Jewish Quarter, makes for a very enjoyable morning. Some of the best preserved architecture can be found in La Juderia, from the wobbly little houses to the winding streets, this is undoubtedly Sagunto’s most charming area.

Later in the day we will return to Valencia for a panoramic visit and a walking tour of the old quarters. Our visit to Valencia will cover all the highlights of the city. For those joining the half-day excursion, we will visit the city in the morning, not the afternoon.

Discover the impressive Valencia Cathedral which stands at the site of a former mosque dating back to 1262. Learn about the architectural modifications and additions made to the structure over the centuries. Continue to view the magnificent Gothic building of La Lonja (Silk Exchange), which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Discover the Baroque building of the Basilica of Our Lady of the Forsaken. We will continue with a walking tour and there will also be free-time on your own.

28 minutes ago, Middleager said:

We're coming on NCL Getaway on Dec. 9, for 6am-2pm.  May only have time for 1/2 day (49 euro) rather than full day tour (69 euro).  We're looking at the excursion offered by

Spain day tour.  Has anyone been on the tour with them and can comment?  Thanks.

Description from Spain day tour:

The full day tour starts with a pickup at the port followed by a drive to Sagunto. Discover the fiery history of this place and see incredible Roman and Moorish remains. The Roman influence can be seen in the beautiful Teatro Romano whose original structure housed up to 6,000 spectators. Built in the second century, this beautiful amphitheater has undergone careful restoration and is still in use today. It is well worth visiting just for the surrounding views of the dramatic cliffs and castle.

There is some attractive architecture around the Plaza Mayor, including the beautiful gothic Santa Maria Parish church which dates all the way back to 1334 and is decorated with gargoyles. The oldest Christian church is the 13th century Iglesia del Salvador. The remains of a complex series of Arabic walls can also be found around the city and a stroll through La Judería, or Jewish Quarter, makes for a very enjoyable morning. Some of the best preserved architecture can be found in La Juderia, from the wobbly little houses to the winding streets, this is undoubtedly Sagunto’s most charming area.

Later in the day we will return to Valencia for a panoramic visit and a walking tour of the old quarters. Our visit to Valencia will cover all the highlights of the city. For those joining the half-day excursion, we will visit the city in the morning, not the afternoon.

Discover the impressive Valencia Cathedral which stands at the site of a former mosque dating back to 1262. Learn about the architectural modifications and additions made to the structure over the centuries. Continue to view the magnificent Gothic building of La Lonja (Silk Exchange), which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Discover the Baroque building of the Basilica of Our Lady of the Forsaken. We will continue with a walking tour and there will also be free-time on your own.

In comparison, the NCL ship's longest excursion is 4.5hr with the following description.   For the time in port (66am-2pm),  does this sound good?

Explore the city of Valencia, with sights of the City of Arts and Sciences, a panoramic drive and a stroll through the old quarter to visit some of the most important historic buildings. Discover how attractive the combination of ancient remains and modern buildings are. It’s a city with international services and avant-garde design. Stop to see The City of Arts & Science, the New Valencia. This major leisure center was designed to promote science and culture. Marvel at the unique and spectacular design of the Hemisféric and the Museu de les Ciencies.

A walk in the historical center takes you to Plaza de la Reina to visit the more significant monuments and buildings like the Cathedral, La Lonja “the Silk Exchange” declared Heritage of Mankind by UNESCO and the Central Market, Valencia’s modernist market. Enjoy the charm of “round square”, discover hidden corners, and walk around the main streets of the city center and Santa Catalina Square where you’ll have some free time to explore.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone recommend the wetland reserve at Albufera? I enjoy bird watching and I've seen the main sights in Valencia, so I thought it could make an interesting change.

This site mentions a traditional boat ride on L’Albufera Lagoon and says I could get there on EMT city buses 24 and 25. 24 goes to El Palmar and  25 to El Perellonet in under an hour for €1.50 each way. 

https://www.visitvalencia.com/en/what-to-see-valencia/albufera-natural-park

Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...
On 11/16/2021 at 12:41 AM, Cardiff girl said:

Would anyone recommend the wetland reserve at Albufera? I enjoy bird watching and I've seen the main sights in Valencia, so I thought it could make an interesting change.

This site mentions a traditional boat ride on L’Albufera Lagoon and says I could get there on EMT city buses 24 and 25. 24 goes to El Palmar and  25 to El Perellonet in under an hour for €1.50 each way. 

https://www.visitvalencia.com/en/what-to-see-valencia/albufera-natural-park

Any thoughts?

We did not do this ourselves mainly due to time restraints But we have friends who did visit the wetlands and said it was well worth it, and that there was a brilliant variety of bird life there for anyone with a intrest in that field,  so it's not a personal recommendation but one I think would be worth a try. Definitely something different from the normal city attractions and very close by. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:40 PM, DavietheScot said:

We did not do this ourselves mainly due to time restraints But we have friends who did visit the wetlands and said it was well worth it, and that there was a brilliant variety of bird life there for anyone with a intrest in that field,  so it's not a personal recommendation but one I think would be worth a try. Definitely something different from the normal city attractions and very close by. 

Thanks very much for that, Davie.

Marella cancelled my cruise with two days' notice so I didn't get to Valencia, but I'd like to go back there some time and the wetlands seem like an interesting trip out. I think I'd be more relaxed on a short break than a shore day. 

• Like 1